Ueli Steck and Simone Moro attacked by sherpas on Everest
   Page 1 of 3.  1  2  3   Next>   Last>>

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Epic free solo with a pack on

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22336540

"The climbers believe that the lead Sherpa felt that his pride had been damaged as the climbers were moving unroped and much faster,"

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Epic free solo with a pack on

And Jon Griffith, who is the man

By James Xu
From Flagstaff, Arizona
Old Man gap highline!

inb4 Everest debate rises from the dead.

By MJMobes
From The land of steady habits
modern man

putting a group of people in harms way deserves a good beating.

news.sky.com/story/1084165/mount-everest-climbers-and-sherpa>>>

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Epic free solo with a pack on

Are you saying they deserved it? From what I can tell they didn't put anyone in harms way by soloing next to a sherpa fixing a rope...

If anything they were lessening the bottleneck at these fixed ropes by blasting on ahead, making the entire situation less dangerous. Methinks the sherpa didn't like looking like an amateur next to people from Switzerland, Italy, and Britain.

By The Stoned Master
From Millerstown, PA
Day Lily.

The article, at least in the smartphone version, didn't mention the south col (trade route) route. Are you sure they were on the "standard" route that is notorious for getting backed up? I'm just curious.

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Epic free solo with a pack on

I'm not sure...one article suggested they were trying a new route, so I have no idea. Maybe someone with some Everest experience or knowledge of the sherpas can chime in

By txclimber
Apr 29, 2013

From what I've read, Hell yes they deserved it. The Sherpas were putting up fixed lines, which I'm sure each of those chumps have used dozens of times. They asked the Stecks' crew to wait until they had this tasked completed. They told the Sherpas to f-off and went around and above them on a new unclimbed route. During this selfish move they were kicking ice and snow on the sherpas and everyone below them, risking avalanche and killing everyone beneath them. I would have taken them to task as well.

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Epic free solo with a pack on

Written by Ed Douglas

By Wannabe

Ben Brotelho wrote:
https://www.thebmc.co.uk/into-the-death-threat-zone Written by Ed Douglas I don't buy the whole "they risked everyone's lives" argument. Most of the people going up Everest are in the congo-line anyway, above, below, in between groups of hundreds. I doubt 3 of the best climbers in the world were recklessly knocking ice down on the guided groups and sherpas...I feel that they are probably pretty respectful

Then also consider that the Sherpas are certainly aware of how they earn their income and I doubt that someone leading a team of them to fix lines would risk their livlihood and the wellbeing of their family lightly. When's the last time you organized a mob to lynch somebody because your pride got hurt? There's got to be two sides to this story almost certainly.

By MJMobes
From The land of steady habits
modern man

txclimber wrote:

Who would you equate HUGE egos with, rich white dudes or Buddhist Sherpas?

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Epic free solo with a pack on

Wannabe wrote:

The other night at the bar someone called me ugly so I got a nice little lynch mob together to beat them up. Just kidding.

I'm sure there is another side of the story, unfortunately I don't think many of the sherpas are on the interwebs very much, so we may not hear it, at least directly.

By txclimber

Ben Brotelho wrote:

This assumes they were on the same well traveled "congo-line" every article I've read states they were attempting a new, unclimbed route. Every new route I've ever been on has loose rock/snow/ice and unforeseen, unpredictable dangers. You must consider the whole picture not just that which supports your argument.

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Epic free solo with a pack on

Fall Guy wrote:
It takes quite a bit to get an average Buddhist involved in a beat down. I can only imagine the real story here. Who would you equate HUGE egos with, rich white dudes or Buddhist Sherpas?

Never met a Buddhist Sherpa, so I have no idea. Just being from a typically Buddhist population or group of people, or even professing to follow that religion doesn't mean you actually adhere to the tenets of said religion. Just look at the Westboro Baptist Church

By Ross Henry
me in seneca

Considering we know nothing about the sherpas, and we know a considerably a lot about the Europeans, we know that the Europeans are known well for there etiquette in the mountains. the articles even say, that Ueli attempted to help them with there line fixing.

I have been passed both in the mountains and rock climbing, people have gone under my ropes or over. I dont think that they deserve to die because they did this.

By Alex Washburne
Apr 29, 2013
I eat crack for breakfast.

Ueli Steck is at it again, pioneering a new brand of alpinism fitting for the 21st century. Known for his dramatic fast and light free-solo of the Eiger's north face, and more recently for combining paragliding with mountaineering to make for YOLO descents of challenging peaks, Ueli is now pushing the limit of 21st century athletics by combining mountaineering with battle-royale cage fighting... on Everest.

By PatrickV
From Albuquerque, New Mexico
mexico

I wonder if they were mistaken for the Wolfroms?

By The Stoned Master
From Millerstown, PA
Day Lily.

Usually there is a cohesion (from all the accounts/books I've read, never from working with sherpas) between the climbers proper and the sherpas.

Hopefully this isn't a sign of a negative turn in the relationship between climber and sherpa.

By csproul
From Rancho Cordova, CA
Summit of Wolf's Head with Pingora in the background

I don't know what happened, but I do know that we'll almost certainly have a bunch of internet armchair climbers who have never left their country, met a Sherpa, or climbed above 6000m (let alone 8000m)tell us all about what happened and/or let us know lame it is to "walk up" Everest anyway!

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Epic free solo with a pack on

csproul wrote:

I am writing this from the comfort of a wheeled library chair, but the other allegations are correct. I hope someone with some more knowledge of the culture up there can say some words and clear the air.

By PatrickV
From Albuquerque, New Mexico
mexico

Aww csproul, if everyone around here was just, fair, and correct in their assessment of the world this place would be boring. I like reading the dissenting arguments and trolls even if I disagree.

By Alphonse
From Winter Park
Apr 29, 2013

I'm fairly certain that this event is related to the boots being stolen from Neptune..

By Jeff Kent
From Sedona, Az
Apr 29, 2013

Haha, "Did you happen to see what kind of boot he was stomping your ass with?"

By Colonel Mustard
From Reno, NV
Colonel Mustard

csproul wrote:

It sounds like getting your ass kicked is a more salient qualifier.

By David Barbour
From Charlotte, NC
Apr 29, 2013

I wonder how many of you trash talkers know that Ueli Steck once ascended from base camp to Camp 4 of Annapurna in dangerous conditions to attempt a rescue.

www.alpinist.com/doc/web08s/newswire-ochoa-annapurna

By Brendan Blanchard
From Strafford, NH
Obi Wan Ryobi - Darth Vader Crag, Rumney NH

Ben Brotelho wrote:

In this case, there was no "congo line." The fixed ropes were not there yet, but the R&I article does state that the crew fixing the lines was made up of 17 sherpas, which is quite a lot I'd think.

I think it wouldn't be uncommon for unkind words and punches to be thrown over something like this, but a mob of 100 sherpas? (R&I article)

From what information we have so far, it seems like Steck and Moro were considerate, but kept their own goals in mind. They shouldn't be held back on account of commercial expeditions.

Page 1 of 3.  1  2  3   Next>   Last>>