Trigger Finger Treatments....any success stories?

By Matt Hardin
From Grand Junction, CO
Mar 1, 2011

First off let me offer the disclaimer that I have accepted that I am an idiot and this is precisely why I am in my current situation. I tweaked a finger a couple of days before my annual Xmas trip to Hueco and instead of being smart and letting it rest I of course tried to climb when I got there. Everything was fine until I jumped on one of my projs and then it started hurting. I immediately got off and decided to rest it but let's be honest...10 days at Hueco, you're going to try and climb. Did a decent job of resting but the last day I got antsy and convinced myself it was better and then quickly received a nice pop and realization that I'm not that bright. I've been seeing a hand specialist in town, which although he's a good doctor, he has no clue when it comes to climbing and has admitted to such. He has diagnosed me as having trigger finger(stenosing tenosynivitis) in my right ring finger (can feel the nodules in my tendon pretty well with both flexion and extension if you apply pressure to the 1st joint)and after a couple of unsuccessful cortisone shots, we are both out of ideas. I have only climbed twice in the last 2 1/2 months and it is driving me crazy. I've looked all over and it doesn't seem that there are a lot of options re: treatment and I really don't want to have to resort to surgery. Anyone have any luck with treatment options or have any ideas?

By coreylee
From Sacramento, CA
Mar 7, 2011

i have busted a few tendons, not fun! If you can afford it, acupuncture has helped me recover quicker in the past. Good luck

By VARMENT
From Boulder, Colorado
Mar 12, 2011
base of castelton

Acupuncture has also worked well for me.

By Mark Hammond
From Eldorado Springs, CO
Mar 12, 2011

Matt,

I've had trigger finger in both ring fingers post other injuries.
To fix the first one I had the A1 pulley "released". Surgery.

I was very worried about the subsequent integrity for climbing and postphoned it, but finally relented and got cut.
Good news, it has been years now and has not affected my climbing at all (after initial recovery of course).

Recently, I developed trigger finger after a partial tear/rupture of my A2 pulley in my other ring finger! Physical therapy, ie. tendon glides, ice, rest, hand putty, etc. (and being a good boy in terms of giving it time) seems to have done the trick.

The first time it was so bad that my hand would stick shut and hurt like hell until I pried it open with my other hand. After trying other things, surgery seemed like the only option.

Good luck, injuries suck,
Mark

By Matt Hardin
From Grand Junction, CO
Mar 14, 2011

Thanks for the head's up guys.
@ Mark: How long was your recovery time on the most recent injury, it sounds like it was about the same severity as mine? I sat down with a friend yesterday that is a PT to get a rundown on all of the rehab stuff you mentioned and am starting a regimen today. Also, are the nodules with your most recent injury gone after doing the therapy/when did you start back with climbing? Thanks.

By Darren Mabe
From Flagstaff, AZ
Jan 4, 2012
wham bam hand jam. Wrapping up the final moves of Twist of Fate, Oak Creek Canyon. <br /> <br />photo: Blake McCord

thread resurrect..

Mark Hammond wrote:

does the pulley become weaker after surgery? one doc told me it is "not noticible", but he is a non-climber.

does/did the pulley grow back together? things i have read online suggest that it does. the last thing i want is to get the surgery (leaving a "partial rupture" and then later have the pulley completely rupture from bowstringing.

had a cortisone injection in my ring finger to release the trigger a couple months ago, but i still have pain when grasping anything, especially a rope. I have less power in that finger than my pinky. perhaps the doc missed?

what the heck does acupuncture do?