Traveling Solo through Europe: Finding Partners?

By Jace Mullen
From Oceanside, Ca
Sep 27, 2012
I'm looking at ways of spending time for the rest of my gap year (I just finished a thruhike of the PCT) and figured this year would be good as ever for European climbing. I am hoping to find other climbers on Couch Surfing and go that route when possible but what are the odds of finding a partner, especially for some alpine objectives? I am thinking about places like Chamomix and maybe Switzerland? What are some other areas I might want to think of for showing up solo?

By jack s.
From Kamloops, BC
Sep 28, 2012
Mean Green P2
Do you speak French? There may be some options if English is your only language, but you would have to do more research than I did before I went to Chamonix. The village is really built up around skiing and tourism. There are a couple of stores that sell a limited selection of climbing gear, but other than that I didn't really see any signs of climbers. Without speaking the language, I couldn't even ask the people at the gear stores for suggestions.

This is not to say that it can't be done, but I would do your homework before you leave if you are expecting to find partners.

By Jace Mullen
From Oceanside, Ca
Sep 28, 2012
I'm hoping to pick up some basic French, as I do have a backround in both Latin and Spanish.

I think most of it would be beyond my skill level, but what are the odds of finding partners in South America, in the Patagonia Region?

By Scott M. McNamara
From Tucson, Arizona
Sep 28, 2012
One Way Sunset
You might consider Spain and Portugal as well.

Climbing in Europe is a different animal than in the United States. You may be suprised.

I think it is much harder to score partners in the U.S. than in Europe.

In Europe, among other differences are the climbing clubs. Hook up with one of these clubs and you will have plenty of partners.

Many, many people in Europe speak English.

By Dan Flynn
From MA
Oct 5, 2012
5b upper pitch in the clouds
You may have some luck if you go to Chamonix or Interlaken and hang out in a backpacker hostel. The peak alpine season is coming to a close, but people are still getting out.

English is mostly fine in Chamonix and anywhere in Switzerland.

The club idea is great, but at least in Switzerland the people who participate in the club outings are more... conservative you might say. Not really gung-ho, more into relaxed, fully-guided trips.

If you are thinking of coming over in the next few months, consider heading down to Kalymnos, Finale, or somewhere else on the mediterranean for sport climbing. The weather has been pretty wet and unstable all this year in Switzerland, so you might do a lot of hanging around, waiting for a break in the clouds.

By PiotrB
From Valencia, Spain
Oct 11, 2012
That's me focusing on something important ;) You c...
Hello Jace!
If You consider going climbing to Spain You should check out my website.
valenciaclimb.com
Though if You climb 8c just come and we climb together for pleasure ;)