Trango Scorpion Ice Axe

By Paul-B
Oct 18, 2012
Flakes of Wrath

Anybody used it? I am looking at getting into ice climbing this season. Already got boots/crampons, and the wallet is very thin. I can get pro deals on trango stuff, is it going to suck? I'd be spending twice as much to get a pair of BD's or Petzls, alternatively I could buy somebody's old axes. Which do you think would suit a new climber better?

Link: www.trango.com/ice_gear/scorpion

By Graham Johnson
Oct 18, 2012

I've not used them, but I've heard other people say they were quite good. Trango has a long history of making excellent tools.

By superkick
From West Hartford, CT
Oct 18, 2012
Free Solo up hitchcock gully WI3

actually to get a pair of new vipers would only be $60 dollars more on mountaingear at the moment.

By Paul-B
Oct 18, 2012
Flakes of Wrath

superkick wrote:

Wrong. As previously stated, I get prodeals on Trango stuff. It would be more than 200 dollars more.

By Dave Bn
From Fort Collins, CO
Oct 18, 2012
Dreamweaver

A friend of mine has a pair that I climbed on last year. I like them quite a bit and put some thought into getting a pair. The only complaint I had and what ultimately kept me from getting them was the fact that you can't swap out the hammers for an adze and I just prefer Petzl.

Otherwise, nice and they stick pretty well. Definitely a good first set of tools.

By jon jugenheimer
From Madison
Oct 18, 2012
hi

They climb surprisingly good! Do it, you wont go wrong for pure ice lines.

By The Llama
Oct 18, 2012

I have a pair and they are actually pretty good for vertical ice (up to WI4). Anything over that (or an mixed) and you should look elsewhere. Also, I was never really able to find a good leash that worked well with them thus ended up using them leashless which seems fine.

In all reality I pretty much use my Nomic's exclusively and break these out for a tool-less 2nd or when the use of a straight shaft is required.

PS. Mine are still in VERY good shape and up for sale if anyone wants to buy them.

Cheers.

By Ryan Huetter
From Mammoth Lakes, CA
Oct 18, 2012
From Mountain Magazine (Bruce Carson's first clean ascent of Sentinal Rock's West Face)

Whatever happened to the "Don't talk about your pro deal or you will lose it" agreement that most companies make you sign when you are accepted in the program?

And for the axes, I thought they sucked. Bent one pick, and don;t count on the hammers lasting long at all if you have to pound anything (picket, pin, etc.) The soft metal deforms very quickly.

By Patrick Carey
From Keene, NY
Oct 19, 2012

My wife used scorpions for the first few years of her ice climbing. They are really fantastic tools. After that she went to the Cassin X-All MTN tools, which are probably the best pure ice tool on the market right now. (I liked hers so much I switched to them, also). We still have the Scorpions and loan them to new climbers because they have a very easy, natural swing.

One poster said it absolutely correct that the Scorpions start to run out of steam at WI4 and above, but if you're new to climbing that will be a while. If that's a concern, or you want a pure leashless tool or want to climbed mixed routes, Trango just came out with a new tool that looks like a cross between a BD Fusion and a Nomic. They are worth a serious look. I think Dane on Cold Thistle just reviewed them.

One last piece of advice - go leashless from the start no matter what tool you get. Unless you're a B.A.M.F. (and/or my wife), ditching the leashes will be a pain if you start with them. Much better to learn to climb properly without them to start. Search for Will Gadd's blog post on proper swing technique. Try to emulate that.

Climb safe and have fun.

By Ray Pinpillage
From West Egg
Oct 20, 2012
Cleo's Needle

By Woodchuck ATC
Oct 20, 2012
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Ray Pinpillage wrote:
They are a little longer than other similar tools. The head weight is nice. The picks are soft, I bent the tips with very little use. Plan on shaping the picks because they dinner plate cold ice. If you plan on banging pins or pickets you're going to ruin them. For what they cost pro, or sell for used, they are a steel. There are obviously better tools but these work pretty well for the money.

Bingo. Friend has a pair and they are really nice tools.

By funkyicemonkey
From Colorado
Oct 30, 2012

They are quite nice, however if you are serious about climbing ice, you will just want to upgrade to Nomic, fusion or X-Ice or a more modern design. If the price is right, then go for it, but realize you will be looking elsewhere quickly. You can always give them to your significant other - or use one as a third tool.