Trad destination for December?

By Aturboford
Jul 17, 2013

I am planning on taking 10 days in late December to go on a trad climbing trip somewhere from the San Francisco Bay Area. I was hoping to get out so somewhere with some sandstone crack climbing as I would like to change it up for a bit from Valley and Tahoe granite. I'm confident leading 5.9 and willing to hop on a couple 5.10s and my partner leads 5.7/5.8 confidently.

Our initial thought was Zion, Moab, or Indian Creek but I am concerned about potential adverse weather there, so now we are looking into Red Rocks due to the lower monthly rainfall there in December.

Any advise on those destinations during that time of year or have any suggestions?

Cheers,
Norm

By doze
From Denver, CO
Jul 17, 2013
the monkey van

Joshua Tree (CA), Cochise Stronghold(AZ). I've heard locals saying you can climb at Paradise Forks(AZ) in winter.

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
Jul 17, 2013
OTL

Plan for any and all, then simply decide based on weather before you leave. Could be perfect or snowing. Kinda hard to guess 6 months out.

By chuck claude
From Flagstaff, Az
Jul 19, 2013
First climb after knee surgery <br />

Paradise Forks (which is about 30 miles west of Flagstaff) will be a major crap shoot in December. I have plenty of times, but thats because I am a local. It could also be under 2-3ft of snow by then. you'd have better luck in Sedona (about 30miles south of Flagstaff) and there are a few high quality multipitch trad climbs in the ran ge you are describing

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Jul 19, 2013

I'd head to Red Rock, and then check the long term forecast for the other areas- its not too far to the Creek from Vegas, about 7hrs if I recall. Zion is super close- only a couple hours. If the weather is iffy, Jtree is a couple hours south.

By fng
Jul 22, 2013

In 10 days you can hit several spots along the east on 395. Alabama Hills is old granite JT like with no people. Near by is Fossil Falls for an afternoon and to the north is Bishop, Buttermilks and Owens River Gorge and a ton more. Look on RC.com. plus there are hot springs to chill in after climbing.

By Rob Warden, Space Lizard
From Springdale Ut
Jul 25, 2013
blah

you dont want to come to Zion unless you confidently lead 5.10 with shitty rock and runouts. Also the rack for stuff here is nuts... wanna climb a hand crack better have 2 fives and some fours for the mandatory banana pod between the "Easy" climbing and the "Hand Crack"

By SexPanther aka Kiedis
Jul 25, 2013
Thumbtastic

^^^^awesome.

By Weston L
From Summerlin, NV
Jul 25, 2013
Me at the good rest on Doggie Do

If yer solid at sustained 5.10 crack climbing, Zion is awesome. Conversely, if you want low commitment entertainment (see what I did there?) come to Vegas and enjoy what Red Rock has to offer. A lot of folks have talked up Cochise as a great mid-winter destination, que calor!

By Aturboford
Sep 11, 2013

Thanks for all of the advice. I have access to an rv for the trip now so Red Rocks will be perfect since if the weather turns there we can head any direction and find somewhere with the potential for decent weather.