Trad climbers in search of apprentice?

By Matty1985
From Philadelphia
Jan 28, 2013
Matty at the gunks
Im in southeastern Pennsylvania and Id really like to start trad climbing. I have read so much about it, watched so many videos, the only thing I haven't done is actually CLIMB IT. An old timer from work tells me its the only climbing I should focus on. I am in search of anyone who needs a partner or is willing to take a novice under their wing. I've been climbing for a year and a half TR and sport, but Im really interested in setting gear and multipitch. I haven't had much opportunity/luck in finding new partners, so I thought I'd throw it out here.

Im in Philadelphia, and Im not really feeling the gym scene.

Advise? Suggestions? Ball-Breaking?

By AnthonyM
Jan 28, 2013
Maroon Bells-Bell Cord Couloir
That's the best way to learn... Find someone who can be your guide and show you. I have done that for a few people. If you were in Colorado-I would grab a beer with ya and see if our styles meshed... It takes patience finding the right Yoda. It won't always work and sometimes you have to start over after investing time in someone and then finding out they had been drinking a quart of brandy (while you finished ONE beer) and then you have to take care of them all night. (I never climbed with him again). Patience is key. It can be draining...

By Keyan P
From Burlington, VT
Jan 28, 2013
View from top of Standard Route on Whitehorse, NH
You mentioned that you have read much about trad climbing, have you read John Long's "Climbing Anchors" ?

Finding a good partner to follow is a great way to learn, but finding a knowledgeable and safe partner may prove difficult. If you can't find someone to follow for some pitches, then hiring a guide for a day may be a good idea.

By Tony Lopez
From NJ
Jan 29, 2013
Easy Rider
Spring will be here soon. Get in touch with me in a few months and maybe we can climb at the Gunks.

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Jan 29, 2013
I think my comments here apply.

By The Stoned Master
From Pennsylvania
Jan 29, 2013
Day Lily.
I live in central, pa and would love to trad climb with you. Let me know your schedule. You willing to drive a little? In pa we have only so many trad crags and in the south/east the closest (and most useful) are here in central, pa. Let me know.

As long as its not terrible I'm climbing at pond bank this weekend. You are welcome.

By Matty1985
From Philadelphia
Jan 29, 2013
Matty at the gunks
Keyan, i havent read the book, i will look into it! And i do plan on hiring a guide this spring just for good measure.

Antonio, ill be sure to look you up. That would be great! Coffee and lunch is on me.

The stoned master! I knew id hear from you given how proactive youve been on these boards and being in PA. I would be willing to drive a bit, sure. Ill try to PM you about this weekend, I might be able to swing it. Ill bring the coffee and buy beer! Thanks for all your replies!

By Brassmonkey
Jan 29, 2013
Brass monkey
Matty I live in your area and probably climb at the gym that you go to. Especially if you cant stand the owners. I'm not a big fan of the gym either but it is a grteat place to network to meet others and to get stronger when the cooler months arrive. I dont know many (if any) trad climbers at that gym that go there and toprope. If you want to get to know some people there are quite a few trad climbers that lead at that gym that would probably be willing to take you out. Just start doing a lot of leading, ditch the toprope sh*t and chat up some of the climbers standing 4 feet from you and you'll meet some people that can help you out in no time.

By Larry S
Jan 29, 2013
The wife and I road-trippin on the Connie.
Matt - PRG runs an anchors class occasionally, could be worth looking into to get you started. When my buddy Crossing and I were getting into trad, we didn't know anyone to teach us... we spent alot of time practicing at Ralph Stover/High Rocks park, it's not too far north from philly on 611. We had a light rack of gear and we'd practice placing it on top rope, testing it with body weight, even taking a few falls (backed up on TR) on it to gain some confidence. The rock there is pretty crappy and can be difficult to get gear in, but I think it's a good place to practice, you learn how bad a placement can be and still hold your weight. As a bonus it's south facing and very sheltered, so it's good for a sunny winter day.

By Rick Carpenter