TR Solo areas near Phoenix

By stropsa
From Tempe, AZ
Jul 9, 2014
Most of my regular partners have recently left the state, so i am left going by myself more and more. I know of a few decent TR Solo areas in the phoenix area but they are mostly east facing and i was wondering if anyone knew of some good north or west facing areas to take advantage of the morning shade during summer. Any ideas? I prefer trad to sport but a day on the rocks is better than one off. Also preferably one with a walk around to the top or a relatively easy way to access the top for solo leading. I know the overlook is an awesome place for this but it is usually a bit far for a half day or so. Any suggestions?

By manuel rangel
From Tempe, Arizona
Jul 13, 2014
Cool rock you can toprope in Phoenix in July is a tall order. Try to start real early on Camelback. The Headwall faces westerly and you can walk to the top. There is a place in the far west side of the mountain but harder to toprope routes there.

I've climbed Atlantis Road Area in Queen Creek many times in the summer. The east facing walls above the canyon have a breeze too.

Better yet, go to a climbing gym.

By ErikF
Jul 14, 2014
Manny is basically right, although I'd add a few depending on your heat tolerance.

Loafer's Choice and AMC Boulder at Pinnacle Peak Park have afternoon shade and can be top roped (the latter with a little creativity ascending left of the crag). Just get out of the park before it closes.

I hike and sometimes climb throughout the summer in the McDowells and do see friends climbing out there in the early a.m. Try Sven Towers I, II and III for early morning jaunts. I top rope or rope solo them myself. They are high on the ridgeline, not too far from the Tom's Thumb Trail Head, and usually have a morning breeze. Okay until maybe 10 or 10:30.

Some of those crags are less well known so PM me if you want updated route photos.

By Chris Greevers
From San Tan Valley, az
Aug 10, 2014
First pitch of the hand
Morning shade is a little tough. QC has the most to offer. The pond, Atlantis, Northern Devils, LDE. 5-10 am. Lots of areas can be done up in QC After 2pm all of the East side routes in all Devils canyon can be done. Try the pond and atlantis too. All have good breeze blowing and runs about 5-10 degrees cooler than the valley. What difficulty are you looking to do? I have done rope soloing out there extensively lead and TR.

By Colin Kubarych
From Phoenix, AZ
Aug 10, 2014
Upper Devils Canyon
Chase shade at Pinnacle
Lookout Mountain (faces west)
Beardsley (faces east)

if you're willing to go to QC, you're not much further than Payson so check out The Library Wall. Easy access to the top. Plenty to do and a wee bit cooler. Also, plenty of solo TR's in Prescott.

By Ryan S.
From Scottsdale, AZ
Aug 13, 2014
If you want a belay let me know. I'm looking for some phoenix climbing buddies