TR: Moonlight Buttress Solo In A Day

By Greg Howland
Mar 10, 2012
The Nose

Returned to Zion this February to climb Moonlight again. This time I left the partner and the haulbag on the ground. Here's a write up of the climb. There is also a TR of the route wall style in the archives if you're looking for more info on ML.

ENJOY!

My Vertical Life

By John Klooster
From Arvada, CO
Mar 10, 2012
Backflip, Lumpy Ridge

Nice work Big Waallll. We will be in the Valley late Aug. If you haven't done serenity/sons yet we should meet up to do it.

By Greg Howland
Mar 10, 2012
The Nose

John Klooster wrote:

Hey John, believe it or not I haven't done it yet. It's been really high on my list. Do you know dates? I'd be willing to head up there but it just depends on work and school.

By John Klooster
From Arvada, CO
Mar 10, 2012
Backflip, Lumpy Ridge

No dates yet, we will know in by the end of March. I will let ya know.

By Steve Williams
From Denver, CO
Mar 10, 2012

Greg
The link doesn't work.

By Greg Howland
Mar 10, 2012
The Nose

Steve Williams wrote:
Greg The link doesn't work.

Oops. Thanks Steve. Should be working now.

By SteveZ
From Denver, CO
Mar 10, 2012
Lion King with the pup.

Ya Greg! Good read and good luck on that Touchstone link next time :)

By Steve Williams
From Denver, CO
Mar 10, 2012

Nice job, Greg--wish you'd taken a camera, but how do you
take pics of yourself on a solo????

What did you use for your self belay?

Thanks for fixing the link!

By Dwook
Mar 11, 2012

Nice TR Grats on the ascent

By Greg Howland
Mar 14, 2012
The Nose

Steve Williams wrote:
Nice job, Greg--wish you'd taken a camera, but how do you take pics of yourself on a solo???? What did you use for your self belay? Thanks for fixing the link!

The team from New Mexico took all the pictures of me on route.

I just use a GriGri 2 for my solo system. The new GriGri feeds way better then the old one, especially when free climbing by the way. Every 30' or so I tie a back up knot on the brake side and clip it to myself incase the GriGri were to slip or fail. The rest of the rope on the brake side sits in a rope bag. This allows the rope to feed hassle free rather than a sling and any extra rope weight to sit on the anchor. I use a metolious big wall stuff sack (works great) but even a $1 recycled shopping bag from the grocery store or REI would do the trick.