Tordrillo Mountains-Heli Skiing Questions

By Nick Dolecek
From Denver, Colorado
Jan 6, 2009

We are heading to the Tordrillo mountains in March for 2 weeks of heli skiing. We are curious about where to be dropped off by chopper to do boot accessed steep lines. Are there heli-ops in the range other than chugach staging out of Judd lake? What are some good road accessed hiking lines in the anchorage area?
Thanks

By seth0687
From Fort Collins
Jan 6, 2009
Leading the first ice pitch of the NW Gully-Thatchtop

might wanna try tetongravity.com

By Jason Kaplan
From Glenwood ,Co
Jan 7, 2009
avitar pic <br />

I woulden't expect much of the Heli thing. As I understand it for someone like me that wants to get on some crazy stuff it's not worth it unless you have the time and funding to build bonds with the right people IE: guides.

There is too much liability to just let any gumby hop on a 50+ degree slope with many objective hazards. Gotta prove you can hang first ya dig. Maybe I'm totaly wrong I've never been but I really considered it last x-mas while in BC. I have a friend/mentor that was a pro for a while and I gleaned this "not worth it" perspective from him. He knows alot more about the scene then most people I know so I took his word for it.

You've heard of powder farming I take it... no?

Tordrillo mountains look pretty sick from what I've seen, have a blast and don't get suckered!

P.S. Try out TGR (as seth suggested), tons of Sh** talk going on there but if your careful you might glean some useful info with out getting JONGed.

By Griswald
Jan 7, 2009

try chugach powder guides for heli skiing. for sick road access go to turnigan. to research turnigain, try telemarktips.com and look under alaska conditions.

By Tico
Jan 7, 2009

You might want to get in touch with/hire Joe Stock.

megatraverse.blogspot.com/2007/12/megatraverse-trips.html

Awesome guy, knows a lot about the Tordrillos

-t

By Nick Dolecek
From Denver, Colorado
Jan 8, 2009

Thanks for the info...Point well taken about the guides, I have seen this before. We will probably end up flying into the tordrillo's and hiking the gnar, then goto haines for a day of heli action to log some serious vert.
Thanks again for the beta