Top Roping at Carderock with Tots
Your todo list:
Your rating: -none-
Your ticklist: [add new tick]
Your opinion of this PAGE: [2 people like this page.]
Near the top.
Carderock is great for little kids, as the descent makes a good challenge for any sized person, and the base is relatively benign, as long as there are firm rules about going near the river bank.
There are several excellent places to top rope at Carderock with 3-5 year olds who are just starting out. (Note that many of the easy regular routes have holds spaced too far apart for tots.)
Here are three slightly less than obvious ones:
1) Broken Crevice. The Broken Crevice between the Silver Spot face and the Biceps buttress. A good spot to begin as it starts with ledgey steps, and gets progressively steeper and the last bit can be deceptively challenging for a three year old.
2) Kindergarten Face Easy. Kindergarten Face just left of the nose. An easy traverse leads to a small left facing groove corner. Set the carabiners just right (looking down) of this groove, as the final moves above the groove break left slightly to the top of the face.
3) Meenehan's No Hands Slab. A largish very low angle slab just right of Meenehan's Staircase in the alcove up and right of Beginner's Crack alcove. This low angle face makes a good first challenge for the littlest ones; and if they make it, have them try the steeper face above, as the ledge in between provides a point to stop and regather totlet karma.
1) The Broken Crevice between the Silver Spot face and the Biceps buttress.
2) Kindergarten Face just left of the nose. An easy traverse leads to a small left facing groove corner.
3) A largish very low angle slab just right of Meenehan's Staircase in the alcove up and right of Beginner's Crack alcove.
BETA PHOTO: A five year old negotiating the silver spot crevic...
BETA PHOTO: Lowering from the Silver Spot crevice.
A five-year old on the harder second portion of Me...
BETA PHOTO: The Meenehan's slab negotiated by a tot just about...
Kindergarten face on a quiet June afternoon.
A long reach on the Meenehan slab.
Any boulder will do for the littlest ones.
This is the beginning traverse of the easy 'groove...
Menehan's No Hands Slab, working the harder upper ...
|Comments on Top Roping at Carderock with Tots