Top rope ice climbing

By Danomcq
Feb 6, 2013
Canon ct

Anyone one see any reason why it would be a problem for two beginners to top rope on ice with out experienced people around?? That is assuming belay technique is solid of course. I'm asking this because everything I've read emphasizes the HUGE difference in safety factor on ice vs rock. Maybe it's lack of experience but I just don't see a huge risk with a proper top rope set up and proper belay technique. Leading and placing pro however,....long way off

Open to suggestions here

By Brasky
Feb 6, 2013

dont have the belayer stand too close cus the falling chunks of ice and dont let a axe slip and get lodged in your head

By Brasky
Feb 6, 2013

oh yeah dont hit the rope with the axe

By Woodchuck ATC
Feb 7, 2013
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

..and be sure belayer is wearing crampons while belaying,,not just for climbing. Have seen some belayers get dragged/ sliding across the ice when holding a fall or tension on climber. EVERYONE wears a helmet all the time due to falling ice, items, tools, etc.

By Wannabe
Feb 7, 2013

I think you'll be fine and there's some good advice here already. Also bear in mind that falling with crampons on your feet is NOT the same. Easy to twist/sprain/break/cut your legs and of course shred pants. Lots of sharp stuff flailing about. But I would hazard that you're probably NOT GONNA DIE as long as your rig is sound.

By KathyS
From Poughkeepsie, NY
Feb 7, 2013
Me at the summit of Inner Course (5.4) in the Outlets.  Long, lovely, mellow route.  Well protected even.  My favorite lead from the trip.

Be careful of what you climb. A couple climbers narrowly escaped getting crushed last season when most of the route they were climbing fell down because it was debonded. Beware of ice not bonded to the rock behind it, thin ice with water running behind it, and freestanding columns. Stick to fat or well bonded ice until you learn what is a reasonable risk to climb, and what is a ticking time bomb.