To resole or not to resole?
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By Trevor Smith
May 21, 2012
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had much experience with resoling? I have two pairs of Sportiva Miura's that are due for replacement but with the cost around $170 and a tight budget (all going towards gear on the shinier end of the spectrum) I don't know if I can take the plunge. I live NYC and was thinking about sending the more worn pair to the Cobbler & Cordwainer in New Rochelle. The website hasn't been updated in a while and I don't want my shoes to simply disappear - has anyone used this guy? Did you like his (or her) work? If I get a chance and I send them in, I will send before and after pics for reference....

By Bill C.
From Fort Collins, CO
May 21, 2012
If you are planning on shipping them anyway I would suggest using Rock & Resole here in Boulder, CO. They are very competitively priced and the turnaround time is quite fast. I know a few out of staters that used to live within driving distance of other resole shops but would still ship their shoes to Rock & Resole.

Sorry that doesnt answer your original question, but if you are unsure of your place's legitimacy you cant go wrong with a shop with an already established reputation.

By Sam Stephens
May 21, 2012
Top half of Melifluous
Resolve them, you'll thank yourself in the long run. Send them to Rock and Resole.

By Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
May 21, 2012
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.
Another vote for R&R.

By Matty H
May 21, 2012
Top of pear buttress
Resole your shoes. So much cheaper, and Rock and Resole does an awesome job cheaply and quickly. though if you live in NYC i would ask around and try to find a closer place.

By Cultivating Mass
May 21, 2012
Leading on the only "fair means" rack.
I've used Friction Fix at the New, Rubber Room in Bishop, and Fly'n Brian here in Vegas, all with good results. Give it a try with one pair. If you hate 'em (some people really seem to dislike resoled shoe performance), post em on the free gear thread. Miuras with C4 should climb better, anyway-

By doublediamond100
From Rye, NY
May 21, 2012
I've used Cobbler & Cordwainer twice to resole my miura vs. He has done a good job both times maintaining fit, and the first resole he did lasted about 9 months. However, the most recent time I sent them out to him I didn't see them again for almost 5 weeks after being assured they would be done in two. It could have been a one time occurrence though since the first time he was quick. I will probably send my shoes elsewhere next time.

By jack s.
From Kamloops, BC
May 21, 2012
Mean Green P2
Yosemite Bum in California did a nice job for me (they use Evolv rubber). Resoling used to be a viable alternative to buying new shoes. Now it seems absolutely vital with the latest increase in shoe prices.

By harpo-the-climber
May 21, 2012
I have used Rubber Room in Bishop for years and love their work. They have a number of different kinds of rubber to resole with so you can choose what you want on your shoes.

By Bryan Gilmore
From Your Mama
May 21, 2012
Beagle
Another vote for Rock & Resole, they really do an incredible job. And, after all the work of breaking in your shoes, even if they weren't $170, it'd be a shame to toss 'em. I've done two pairs this month and both were returned within one week.

By Ben Panter
From Little-fun, CO
May 22, 2012
Laying it down
I've used RnR many times. Great work and decent turn around time.

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
May 22, 2012
OTL
If they're a size 45, they're not worth resoling. I'll take them off your hands, though, and recycle them properly.

By Nick Sullens
From Yosemite/ Weed
May 22, 2012
Rock and resole does the best resoles for the cheapest price. I just got back my Muira's and they are PERFECT

By brenta
From Boulder, CO
May 22, 2012
Cima Margherita and Cima Tosa in the Dolomiti di Brenta.  October 1977.
Another satisfied customer of Rock and Resole here.

You may not want to wait too long before you send your shoes in for resoling. If they are too worn, they will have to replace the toe cap. Aside from the extra cost, that is likely to change the fit.

By Alicia Sokolowski
From Brooklyn, NY
May 22, 2012
Hanging out waiting for Die Antwoord to come on stage
Support (somewhat) local resolers!!! I got three pairs resoled at plattsburghshoehospital.com/ and he did a great job.

By Latro
May 22, 2012
I used to use Cobbler&Cordwainer when I was closer to them (long ago, no issues then). My last 4 resoles have been by Mark Meschinelli at the Plattsburgh Shoe Hospital, and I've been pleased.

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
May 22, 2012
Bocan
R&R is pretty good and fast turnaround times.

Honestly I don't think a resole is ever going to be as good as the original, BUT hell yeah it's better to plunk $50 down instead of $170. Think about it this way...3 resoles = 1 pair of new shoes.

By Chris I
From Fresno, CA
May 22, 2012
First trad lead.
I've used Yosemite Bum, Rock and Resole and most recently the Rubber Room in Bishop. All three did a good job and saved me a ton of money by keeping me from unnecessarily buying new shoes. I liked the rubber room because they have good rubber choices and so far it seems like they did good work. Not to bash Rock and Resole, but fast turnaround is not always a good thing. It's too bad how much la sportiva's (and climbing shoes in general) are becoming. It seems pretty ridiculous. Hopefully enough people getting resoles will drive prices down (wishful thinking).

Oh yeah, and I agree with Scott, a resole doesn't beat a new shoe, but for a third of the price it's the way to go.

By bearbreeder
May 22, 2012
for miuras they start off as sport shoes .. and after the resole, which usually stretches them 1/4-1/2 a size they become trad shoes ...

By Hmann2
May 22, 2012
the fridge leavenworth
Resole! Dont use Rubber Room! I recently had a pair of shoes resoled there, and the wait time was insane! Then I had nothing but problems getting a hold of someone at the company to talk to. They do good work but lack a professional ethic.

By mt.wilson
From Denver
May 22, 2012
officer friendly
anyone have recommendations for resolers that have a good selection of wide lasts? I have pretty wide feet, and rock and resole did a pretty good job last time, but wondering if other places are superior? Was thinking about trying Komito in estes park...

By Trevor Smith
May 23, 2012
Thanks everyone! I think I will send one pair to Plattsburgh and one to New Rochelle - will post results and reviews. As soon as my trad pair goes, I will check out the CO place to cover the range of reviews.

By Trevor Smith
Feb 1, 2013
Sent to Plattsburgh - Left Shoe
Sent to Plattsburgh - Left Shoe

Also Sent to Plattsburgh - Right Toe
Also Sent to Plattsburgh - Right Toe

Will post after pictures once I get them back.

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Feb 1, 2013
If those spots in the photos are the only problem areas, I wouldn't bother getting them resoled. Put a little Freesole on those spots and you're good to go.

If you have holes on the bottoms (soles), that's a different story. But little holes in the rand area can be touched up with Freesole.

By bearbreeder
Feb 1, 2013
i would say those miuras are ready for a resole ... looks like the rubber on the big toe is wearing down pretty think ...

i much prefer to have them resoled before they get too bad

note that IMO the resoling is only really worth it the first time around ... by the 2nd+ time it the fit tends to stretch more and become sloppy ... and for miuras all the accumulated sweat and grime make the shoe a bit funkay at that point ;)

By Trevor Smith
Feb 19, 2013
The Plattsburgh Fix.
The Plattsburgh Fix.

Left Bottom
Left Bottom

Right Bottom
Right Bottom

I haven't climbed in them yet but they seem to be done pretty well. Total was $61 with shipping and toe replacement. The customer service has been very good and the worksmanship appears to be good - I will give a final verdict after they have been climbed a bit. Not sure if this will get designated as an outdoor pair or an indoor pair - guess that will depend on the fit and how well the rubber holds together.

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>