Tiny People at the Gunks

By Seth Derr
From harrisburg, pa
Jul 28, 2014
Hey there!
Does the entrance fee apply to small children, or is there some sort of kids under a certain age are free thing? I checked the Preserve website very breifly and didn't see anything.

By rgold
From Poughkeepsie, NY
Jul 28, 2014
The traverse out to the Yellow Ridge on the Dogsti...
You must have checked pretty briefly. Children 12 and under are free but must be accompanied by an adult. mohonkpreserve.org/hours-and-f...

By Seth Derr
From harrisburg, pa
Jul 28, 2014
Hey there!
Super breifly. and it's monday morning so i'm allowed to be dumb. Thanks for the info.

By The Stoned Master
From Pennsylvania
Jul 29, 2014
Day Lily.
Seth, you taking your little man to the Gunks to climb with you? If so I think thats badass dude!

By Chris Duca
From Havertown, PA
Jul 29, 2014
Finishing up Elusive Dream at the King Wall.  Adir...
The Gunks is a tremendous place to introduce children to climbing! We've been bringing our boys along with us since they were infants, and I can tell you--first hand--that you'll learn to appreciate climbing through a completely different lense! Immerse yourself and enjoy it!

By Seth Derr
From harrisburg, pa
Jul 29, 2014
Hey there!
Yep, taking him up for the first time this weekend. He's super psyched for the whole experience. I think he's going to like it but he's a finicky little bugger so we'll see how it goes.

By The Stoned Master
From Pennsylvania
Jul 29, 2014
Day Lily.
thats cool dude! Good for you for taking him, Im sure he'll really enjoy it.

By John Rydzy
From Piscataway, NJ
Jul 31, 2014
How old are your children? I have an almost 5 year old that we have taken to the gym but not outside yet. Wondering if anyone has suggestions for routes for tiny people.

By Chris Duca
From Havertown, PA
Jul 31, 2014
Finishing up Elusive Dream at the King Wall.  Adir...
Our 4-yr old has climbed High E...just kidding. Actually, he climbed the Uber Fall Descent, as well as the beginning of Bunny (with some assistance), the first pitch of 3 Pines, and Northern Pillar.

By J. Serpico
From Saratoga County, NY
Jul 31, 2014
Chris Duca wrote:

You probably can't start too early.

While there is no fee for kids at the Gunks, I kinda recommend Peterskill. It's less crowded than most of the top ropable areas in the Trapps, and the short single pitch routes offer plenty for kids. Plus, if you don't have a Mohonk Pass, it's probably pretty close in price.

My sibblings first rock climbing was 4 years ago at 7, in the Adirondacks, but they went to Peterskill for the first time this year and had a good time. I took my brother up Chapel Pond Slab this summer and hopefully next year he can be in the middle of a multipitch Gunks day with a little more exposure.