Tight fitting softshell pants

By Wyatt H
From Casper, Wy
Aug 12, 2014
I'm looking for some pants for winter climbing and backcountry skiing that are as tight-fitting, breathable, and durable as possible. Not looking for warmth or waterproof. Something like the dynafit movement pants/tights but I'm afraid they might not be durable enough on the knees. I have and love a pair of old Marmot Cortina pants that are absolutely perfect, but once those are worn out, I got nothing. Any suggestions?

By Christopher G
From New Hartford, NY
Aug 13, 2014
Adirondacks
Have you seen the new fall line from Arc'teryx? Specifically, they released two alpine climbing specific softshell pants that are cut to fit tightly in the legs to resist snags from crampons/skis.

Psiphon SV Pant

Psiphon AR Pant

Both are membrane free, which will allow them to breath exceptionally better than a softshell with a membrane like Windstopper or Power Shield, etc ...

Hope this helps a bit.

By Jon H
From Boulder
Aug 13, 2014
At the matching crux
I'm in the same boat as you.... I've got a PERFECT pair of North Face softshell pants. Bought them on closeout in Chamonix Village a couple years ago. They are ultra breathable, no membrane, solid reinforcement knee and crampon patches, 2 zippered pockets, drawstring waist (non-opening), and slim cut from waist down to ankle - no extra material at all. I haven't been able to replace them as they've got a euro SKU and TNF-USA can't even look up the model number in their computer.

Will have to look into the Psiphon line.

These are the TNF:

Best climbing pants EVER
Best climbing pants EVER

By Sunny-D
From SLC, Utah
Aug 13, 2014
Top of Jah-Man Sister Superior
Wyatt,
Hey Check out the Mountain Equipment Javelin Pant or the Ibex Pant both are very tapered in the leg ie tight fitting over a mountain boot.
Dallen

By Tico
Aug 13, 2014
CAMP and dynafit make anti-steaze pantaloons as well. With the rando fad going on there's quite a few choices.

By Wyatt H
From Casper, Wy
Aug 13, 2014
Ah, Mountain Equipment, how did I forget them? That javelin might be the ticket. Thanks Dallen!

By Mike Belu
From Indianapolis, IN
Aug 13, 2014
Summit of Rainier.
What size are you? I have some outdoor research salvo soft shells sitting on a shelf. Never worn outside (too snug for me to legally wear them outside). Size is medium. Send a PM if you are interested.
Here info on amazon on them
amazon.com/Outdoor-Research-Sa...

By Adam Burch
From San Dieger
Aug 15, 2014
What?  Nothing in this photo is yours, so you can'...
Big fan of the Rab scimitar pants (and jacket, for that matter)

Non-membrane, just water resistant, stretchy, tight fitting from ass to foot for all your hipster needs, although the zipper at the bottom allows for the expansion of the cuff for a larger boot.

pants, dawg
pants, dawg

Zipped, they just fit over the cuff of my nepal. unzipped, they just fit over the cuff of my spantik. No extra material flopping around, but stretchy enough so it doesn't matter while you climb. No knee patches, however, and had to make my own grommets in the cuff to add a stirrup for gaiter-free fun. Rock and Ice, they be nice.

By Wyatt H
From Casper, Wy
Aug 15, 2014
I guess what I'm looking for is something less than a softshell - more like spandex, but with reinforced knees/crampon patch. Has anyone had any experience with Montura? Looks like they may have some pants like that.

By Aleks Zebastian