Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New - School of Rock
Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
Ticks posted on mountain project page
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
   Page 3 of 4.  <<First   <Prev   1  2  3  4   Next>   Last>>
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
 
By Ty Harlacker
From Albuquerque, NM
Jan 4, 2012
Silverton

Who cares? Climb because you enjoy it. You may discover a life of dear friends and great adventures beyond any tick. Climbing itself is the only thing I've been passionate about, and I am thankful to have found it.


FLAG
By JCM
From Henderson, NV
Jan 4, 2012

Ahhhh! A tick!


--- Invalid image id: 107426005 ---


FLAG
By Tradoholic
Jan 4, 2012

'

Eric Fjellanger wrote:
Have you ever posted anything that was actually climbing-related, or that suggested that you climbed anything ever? I need to know where I stand in this dickwaving contest, and you don't have any TICKS.


The secret is that Johny Q is only 12 years old and has only climbed on a few boulders in his parents back yard, hence it's easy for him to remember all of his "ticks".

Little Johny, many of us have been climbing since your mom was panicking after that "mistake", therefore we unfortunately need to write things down (you will learn to write soon too!) in order to remember the hundreds or thousands of routes we have done. Don't worry, someday when you are older you will understand.

BTW, say "Hello Babe" to your mom for me ;) That was one hell of a party we had! So long ago now I can't even remember what happened. Good thing I have that "tick" list somewhere.


FLAG
By Jon O'Brien
From Nevada
Jan 4, 2012

i use mountain project for my personal use and the ticks in order to remember each climb i've tried. if i fall i note it. if you're concerned with why someone else ticks something i'd argue you have too much free time.


FLAG
By Doug Hemken
Administrator
Jan 4, 2012
On Everleigh Club Crack.  Photo by Burt Lindquist.

Back when MountainProject was young, I used to look at the number of comments a route had in order to judge how "popular" the route might be. As MountainProject has moved into its teen years, many of those comments sections have turned into forums ... so I look at the number of ticks, number of people assigning stars, and number of people giving ratings to judge "popularity." I don't really care whether anyone's tick reflects any sense of climbing style, but I do find it useful that people mark them.

I think one of the first questions you have to ask yourself about any data, is not what it's supposed to mean, but what it really means.

It would be fun/useful if we could also set up our own arbitrary route lists, just showing up on our personal page. That way I could keep track of "Routes I've done with Burt," "Routes I've done in Winter," "Routes I've done Hexes-only," "Bechler's routes I've done," etc, etc.


FLAG
By Jeff Chrisler
From Boulder, CO
May 7, 2012

perhaps this has been beaten to death, but my take on this is-

1. the tick list should be whatever you want it to be. i personally, keep track of the things i've lead without falling... redpoint or flash, whatever. i don't put a tick unless i got it clean. however, some climbers don't lead, and that's fine. some will never lead, and enjoy tr. go ahead and add a tick for a lap on tr or use it for things you've gotten on. who cares?

2. along with a tick should come your own opinion on the grade of the climb. this is where what you do affects the things on MP.com. i think that only a true grade can come with a clean lead of the route. obviously, the route will be at least slightly harder with adding draws and clipping them or gear for that matter. i think it's too bad that some will grade a route having only tr-ed it or fallen on it several times. i think only a true grade of a climb can come with successful fall-free completion of it on lead.


FLAG
By Mark Mueller
From Flagstaff, AZ
May 7, 2012
Great quality rock on this one!

for those of you wanting a "private tick list"... get a notepad, pencil, and don't tick on mp. time to tick off some leads and trs at the forks.


FLAG
By Mike Smyth
From Spartanburg, SC
May 7, 2012
Stick clips can be very handy in this area to keep it a little safer

I don't understand why people even care unless they are trying to evaluate someone as a potential climbing partner. Anyhow, it's more of a climbing log for me. I personally could care less what someone thinks of me as a climber cause I climb for me and not anyone else. To each his/her own I guess


FLAG
 
By Josh Janes
May 7, 2012

I can't say I've "ticked" Everest just because I've been on the mountain or trekked to base camp. Just like I can't say I've "ticked" Flesh for Lulu, the Naked Edge, or Heinous Cling just because I've been on those climbs. Until I've redpointed, they stay on my list as "undone".

It's fine to use the feature however you want, but the word "tick" was chosen for a reason; it isn't "tries" or "attempts".

I frequently use this feature to evaluate routes or partners... I find it telling when I look up a route that I'd like to do, notice it's been ticked 10 times, but when I read further I see that nine of those are people following the route, bailing off the route, or dogging their way up the route.


FLAG
By Colonel Mustard
From Reno, NV
May 7, 2012
Colonel Mustard

My log here is in more of the Fred Beckey sense of I got up the route. If you want stylistic considerations or where I am climbing at right now, you're going to have to ask me.

I am not surprised some would like to authorize the correct way of doing the most trivial task, but they will have to take their self-ordained little power trip with them when they fuck right off ;). Go on now.


FLAG
By Chris D
From the couch
May 7, 2012
Sign near the Third Flatiron

JLP wrote:
However, the base assumption is that if you tick it, you freed it. That's what "tick" means and everyone but the most inexperienced of noobs knows it. If you add a note saying you didn't free it, that's fine too. It's fine because everyone also knows the tick feature gets used in many different ways here by many different people. BUT - if you don't free it and don't add a note - then you're a liar. You're telling everyone on the internet that you did something that you actually didn't. There are a LOT of lies on the tick pages. Oh I got on this route, it was great, here's my beta - but I'm not going to tell you that I haven't freed it, and further I lack what it takes to EVER free it - but I'm not going to let people in on that part because I really like the feeling my ego gets with them thinking I freed it. You guys are liars, plain and simple. It's the same thing with the same characters in person. When you say you "did a route", and nothing more, the assumption is that you freed it. You are lying if you don't immediately correct that assumption, if necessary.


Another strong argument for making the tick list on MP private.

There's clearly a lot more rules to this than I knew about.

If I pulled on a cam on lead and forgot to mention it in a tick list that I use as a personal diary, then I'm a liar? Wow. Harsh.

I should be concerned about what other MP users will infer from my ticks? That sounds like some seriously self-absorbed logic. I'd also say that you're taking it waaay to seriously if that's how you feel. It's climbing. Put it in perspective.

I think the tick list is a great feature, and I use it not only to keep track of routes I've climbed, but who I've climbed them with, when they were climbed, and any special notes that I might want to recall later (I'm way to stupid to remember amusing minutia about a climb, but it's fun to document it to recollect it later). It also makes it easier for me to find photos of the day on my Flickr photostream.

That said, I don't use it to let other's know what I've been climbing. If you look at my tick list, you'll see that it's nothing to brag about. Ha! Would be nice if it was private. The MP community would be no worse off for not having visibility into my ticks.


FLAG
By Colonel Mustard
From Reno, NV
May 7, 2012
Colonel Mustard

JLP wrote:
I'm pretty sure Fred knows the difference between aid climbing and free climbing. I'm fine with whatever people use the tick list for. It's a free site. However, the base assumption is that if you tick it, you freed it. That's what "tick" means and everyone but the most inexperienced of noobs knows it. If you add a note saying you didn't free it, that's fine too. It's fine because everyone also knows the tick feature gets used in many different ways here by many different people. BUT - if you don't free it and don't add a note - then you're a liar. You're telling everyone on the internet that you did something that you actually didn't. There are a LOT of lies on the tick pages. Oh I got on this route, it was great, here's my beta - but I'm not going to tell you that I haven't freed it, and further I lack what it takes to EVER free it - but I'm not going to let people in on that part because I really like the feeling my ego gets with them thinking I freed it. You guys are liars, plain and simple. It's the same thing with the same characters in person. When you say you "did a route", and nothing more, the assumption is that you freed it. You are lying if you don't immediately correct that assumption, if necessary.


Hahahaha!!! This is all very serious for you. Nope, I don't owe you a damn thing with the tick list here. Again, I say FRON and have a good day!

edit: The crowning irony is that JLP doesn't even have any ticks listed on mountainproject. It takes all types. I'm pissing myself here with laughter!


FLAG
By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
May 7, 2012
OTL

Climbing is about grades. and ticks.


and the ensueing pissing contest.

If you're doing it for fun or for yourself, you're doing it wrong.


FLAG
By Colonel Mustard
From Reno, NV
May 7, 2012
Colonel Mustard

Matt N wrote:
Climbing is about grades. and ticks. and the ensueing pissing contest. If you're doing it for fun or for yourself, you're doing it wrong.


I don't wanna be right! Especially when it pisses cards like JLP off! I can just see him spending hours a day poring over the lies, the damnable lies he sees in the tick section every day. Good god, don't even get him started on the star system, I bet he has a dissertation for that subject!


FLAG
By Darren in Vegas
From Las Vegas, NV
May 7, 2012
Skiing around.

I think what we need are several tick lists, here are some categories I would suggest.
Routes I've TR'd
Routes I hung on while on TR
Routes I used a stick clip on
Routes I climbed with tick marks on them
Routes I pulled on a piece
Routes I think I can do
Routes I want to do
Routes I wish I could do
Routes I wouldn't let my friends do
Routes I've seen
Routes I've heard of
Routes I've seen pictures of
Then let the Admins whip anyone who doesn't perfectly comply.


FLAG
By Toby Butterfield
From Portland, OR
May 7, 2012
Fear and Loathing.

I don't know anybody who looks at anyone else's ticks here... I just use it as a way to track how many pitches I've done, regardless of how they were done. If I got to the chains I tick it. I use MP to track volume more than anything else because it's handy. I'm not trying to make some kind of statement...


FLAG
 
By Colonel Mustard
From Reno, NV
May 7, 2012
Colonel Mustard

JLP wrote:
Ticks here on MP.com are a public statement saying you sent the route, unless you note otherwise. You can note anything you want. Liars never like being called out. That's really what's funny here in this thread, to me.

Somebody lied? On the internet? NOOOOOOOOO!

For serious cat though, if somebody I were partnering up with had questions about my very serious public record here, I would let them know. I look at it as a record of climbs I have done. If I care enough I'll list the style, stars, grade, and post comments about the route. Usually I don't care enough more than, oh, hey, I got on this route this day. The tick list is obviously a lot more important to you, so I invite you to do whatever you wish within the confines of your own account.

I suspect you are too tedious a person to actually have an open debate on this subject, so I bid you good day and happy tick stalking!


FLAG
By Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
May 7, 2012
At the BRC

I don't think I'd say I had 'ticked' a route unless I had led it clean, but don't really care how others use the 'tick' feature on MP.
If I am curious about a route, I'll see who has ticked it, look at their comments, etc. If it's Tony B, I add a letter grade or two to his rating, for example!
Mark


FLAG
By Eric Fjellanger
May 7, 2012
Me on top of Chianti Spire

Glad some smart people showed up.

JLP, you wouldn't care about whether others are lying about their ticks if your ego wasn't wrapped up in it too. Better to grow up and let it go.


FLAG
By Andrew Rivera
May 7, 2012
climbing on an old dam

Does it matter? Complaining about little rules this voraciously has no place in rock climbing. Anyone that is keeping score is in the wrong sport. Climbing is about fun and pushing your own boundaries.


FLAG
By Phil Lauffen
From The Bubble
May 7, 2012
RMNP skiing. Photo by Nodin de Saillan

Andrew Rivera wrote:
Climbing is about fun and pushing your own boundaries.


Shut up you hippy.


FLAG
By MJMobes
From The land of steady habits
May 7, 2012
modern man

what is a pinkpoint and what is a redpoint, thats what I want to know.


FLAG
By roger fritz from rockford, IL
From Rockford, IL
May 8, 2012
Wichita Mountains, Sunshine Wall

Andrew Rivera wrote:
Climbing is about fun and pushing your own boundaries.


I love freeing my spirit in climbing. Some boulder, TR, sport, trad, solo, ice, mixed etc. Whatever it is that makes you come alive...go do it. Which one is best and what is the best way to do it? Whatever makes you come alive.
I have my own rules to abide by in climbing. Fun part is that I make them up too! Push, pull, lift, tug... whatever, just climb!


FLAG
By Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
May 8, 2012
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.

mobley wrote:
what is a pinkpoint and what is a redpoint, thats what I want to know.


I thought I knew at one point, but I was promptly corrected multiple times; I'm still not sure. I can tell you very assuredly however, what a brown point is.


FLAG
 
By MJMobes
From The land of steady habits
May 8, 2012
modern man

muttonface wrote:
I thought I knew at one point, but I was promptly corrected multiple times; I'm still not sure. I can tell you very assuredly however, what a brown point is.


I bet the same people that "know" what a tick is (duh) get a lot of redpoints and dont know what a pinkpoint is.

If I aided up Everest with a battery powered ascender and a pack of Sherpas carrying all of my gear, oxygen bottles and sometimes me can I put it on my ticklist???


FLAG


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 3 of 4.  <<First   <Prev   1  2  3  4   Next>   Last>>