Thumb Severed during Lead Fall

Ouch!

foxnews.com/travel/2011/09/29/...

By Brendan Blanchard
From Strafford, NH
Sep 29, 2011
Obi Wan Ryobi - Darth Vader Crag, Rumney NH
Lucky for him, hope the healing goes well.

As for the article...it says it happened on El Cap, then has a labeled picture of the Half Dome? Hmmmm...

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Sep 29, 2011
I think it's pretty amazing that the thumb fell on a ledge and was actually recovered. That never happens when I drop gear!

By MikeS
From Boulder, CO
Sep 29, 2011
I think it's amazing that they put three rescuers' lives at risk for some dude's opposable digit........strong work, I guess.

By 1Eric Rhicard
Sep 29, 2011
It is a good sized roof. Photo: Jimbo
FrankPS wrote:

Thumbs don't bounce and ricochet much!

By Tyson Anderson
From Las Vegas, NV
Sep 29, 2011
Rapping from the top of Cat in the hat
Does this happen often? Until yesterday I'd never heard of such a thing happening until I saw it first hand. I was canyoneering with a group down one of the canyons in Red Rock and one of the guys in our group degloved his thumb. He was coming over a lip into a free hanging rap and flipped backwards and at the same time his thumb got pinched between the rope and the rock and the skin came right off. It was pretty gruesome. It's really weird to hear about the Yosemite incident right after.

By Colonel Mustard
From Reno, NV
Sep 29, 2011
Colonel Mustard
It sounds more like a freak coincidence to me. Yikes! De-gloving sounds and looks awful!

By Eric Holden
From Temecula, CA
Sep 30, 2011
Big Rock
Tyson Anderson wrote:

Was he wearing gloves?

By Curt Hokanson
Sep 30, 2011
Wow. Just Google Image searched "De-gloved". Ugh...

By Matt Marino
From Georgetown, MA
Sep 30, 2011
Haul Bag
Ifyou'reinterested Tom posted a much more detailed accounting on the El Cap report.
elcapreport.com/content/specia...

By Tyson Anderson
From Las Vegas, NV
Sep 30, 2011
Rapping from the top of Cat in the hat
Eric Holden wrote:
Was he wearing gloves?

Yeah but they were some really thin synthetic ones so I don't think they offered much protection. I usually belay/rap without gloves but I think I might buy a good pair of leather ones now.

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
Sep 30, 2011
OTL
Zeke wrote:

Happened last year on El Cap too - thumb decked, was found, and reattached.

Two thumbs down for aid climbing.