Third attempt: Felix Baumgartner's world record skydive attempt

By Marc H
From Lafayette, CO
Oct 9, 2012

Edit: They're gonna try again in the morning at 6am MDT (8am east coast time)

Here is the live feed:

www.redbullstratos.com/live/

By Marc H
From Lafayette, CO
Oct 9, 2012

Aborted

By Boots Ylectric
From Roselle IL
Oct 9, 2012
Tebow Climbs.  Bet you didn't know that.

Marc H wrote:
Aborted

totally sucks. Been following this since the project started. I feel really bad for him. The look of disspaointment on his face was brutal. I can't imagine how he's feeling and been feeling. The level of anticipation is too much to imagine.

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Oct 9, 2012
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.

What went wrong?

By Unassigned User
Oct 9, 2012

Wind... His balloon is so fragile that ground winds of more than 2mph wil rip it. Or so I read.

By JustinJD.
From Denver
Oct 9, 2012

gusty winds I guess. It would be crazy to get suited up and sit in the capsule just to have it aborted. I understand why they did it...I'm just thinking of what kind of emotional rollercoaster he must have been on waiting for the green light.

By Marc H
From Lafayette, CO
Oct 13, 2012

bump, in case anyone gives a shizah about this. :)

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Oct 14, 2012
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.

I'm still following the story, but no new attempts this week it sounds like.

By Marc H
From Lafayette, CO
Oct 14, 2012

It's on like Donkey Kong.

By AJS
From Boulder, CO
In the sea of Cortez - Baja California, Mexico

live: www.redbullstratos.com/live/

By Kevin McLaughlin
From Colorado Springs
Thunder Ridge- Storm, 5.12, Wasp Canyon

105,000 ft and climbing........... Soon. .

By Ty Morrison-Heath
From Bozeman, MT
Profile Photo <br />

Jesus that balloon is big. He is a go!

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Bocan

Man that is just crazy. Big balls to do something with such an unknown outcome.

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV

OMG. He just did it! I think I just found my new hobby...

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Bocan

holy sh*t... no way would I want to fall 700 miles per hour.

Wonder if that does anything to his insides when he pulls that chute.

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV

He looks like he's able to regain control... I'm sure it's some major Gs but nothing this dude can't handle.

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV

Did he just pull his shoot early and blow the record or did I read that wrong?

By Dirty Gri Gri, or is it GiGi?
From Vegas
Oct 14, 2012
Growing a winter coat in Red Rock Canyon- December 2013.

Wow, truly amazing footage! I can watch that repeatedly. Hell yeah!!

By NickinCO
From colorado
Oct 14, 2012
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.

Jon Zucco wrote:
Did he just pull his shoot early and blow the record or did I read that wrong?

yep I think he missed the free fall record by 11 seconds. Didn't seem like he broke the speed of sound either.

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV

Bummer. Guess we get to watch again for the next attempt. :)

By Ternes
From Littleton, Co
Oct 14, 2012
Me in Rampart Range where there is absolutely positively no bouldering whatsoever so dont even think about getting out of a vehicle to look

about to jump
about to jump

if you did not watch this you missed something great

By NickinCO
From colorado
Oct 14, 2012
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.

Ternes wrote:
if you did not watch this you missed something great

awesome shot, I agree very cool to watch. I watched it with 4 other people huddled around my phone at work lol

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV

Jon Zucco wrote:
Bummer. Guess we get to watch again for the next attempt. :)

Scratch that:

"This attempt marked the end of a five-year road for Baumgartner, a record-setting high-altitude jumper. He already made two preparation jumps in the area, one from 15 miles high and another from 18 miles high. It will also be the end of his extreme altitude jumping career; he has promised this will be his final jump.

---

Baumgartner has said he plans to settle down with his girlfriend and fly helicopters on mountain rescue and firefighting missions in the U.S. and Austria."

-npr.org