The Stronghold: a new LA climbing gym
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By The Stronghold Climbing Gym
Aug 30, 2012

A new climbing gym is coming to town!

The Stronghold will be opening in 2013 at the Brewery Arts Complex, 650 S Avenue 21, Los Angeles California. We’ll feature walls over 40 feet tall with extensive lead climbing, top-roping, bouldering, a full-featured fitness area, and yoga classes. Our building is the former Edison Electric Company’s Los Angeles #3 Steam Power Plant, built in 1904. It will soon be bringing a whole new kind of power to Los Angeles.

Check out our website at strongholdclimb.com. Subscribe to our mailing list there to get updates on our construction, etc. You can also like us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/StrongholdClimbing) and follow us on Twitter (https://twitter.com/StrongholdClimb) to stay in the loop.

We hope to see you there, in not too long!

The Stronghold Climbing Gym's future site.
The Stronghold Climbing Gym's future site.

By Tristan B
From La Crescenta, CA
Aug 30, 2012
Hanging out on Royal Arches

Sick!

By Justin Kenderes
From Glendale, CA
Aug 31, 2012
Working the moves on White Rastafarian at sunset in Jtree.

Finally a climbing gym that's less than a half-hour from my house! I'm pumped!

By Brigette
From Seattle, WA
Aug 31, 2012
At the anchors.

What a great building!

By Rob Gordon
From Hollywood, CA
Aug 31, 2012
Tough Mantle Problem.  Haven't sent yet...

Nathaniel Kenderes wrote:
Finally a climbing gym that's less than a half-hour from my house! I'm pumped!

Finally another climbing gym that's at least a half hour from my house! Im pumped!

By Dirty Gri Gri, or is it GiGi?
From Vegas
Aug 31, 2012
Growing a winter coat in Red Rock Canyon- December 2013.

Wow, what an incredible building. Looks like you're off to a good start with your business. I'll have to stop by, and check it out next time I'm in LA. If you guys are planning on tearing up any pavement, or cement outside, I'd be interested in doing some probing, and bottle digging around the property- with permission, of course. ; )

By Zappatista
Sep 1, 2012
Book me, officer.

Bottle whore :)

Give you points for consistency, though. And you could probably buy and sell my ass for all the bottles you've dug up.

By Dirty Gri Gri, or is it GiGi?
From Vegas
Sep 1, 2012
Growing a winter coat in Red Rock Canyon- December 2013.

"I've got the digging fever", as we bottle diggers say. ; )

Bump for the folks at the Stronghold who might be sitting on buried treasure. AAAARG!

Edit to add: The Killer has my calling card- I don't go to climbing gyms unless there's something in, or outside it for me. : )

By The Stronghold Climbing Gym
Sep 2, 2012

Whose bottles you talking about, Bottle Digger? These guys' bottles?

These are the guys who used to work here. I think the guy on the left is the head route setter. (ca. 1913)

I'm afraid we have no plans for digging (I'd be more afraid if that changed), but if we come across a bottle, we'll let you know. In the mean time, here are more cool historical photos of our new digs.

By Dirty Gri Gri, or is it GiGi?
From Vegas
Sep 2, 2012
Growing a winter coat in Red Rock Canyon- December 2013.

Now you've gone, and done it! My palms are all sweaty now. : )

Anyhoot, you couldn't have picked a cooler building to house your gym in with all of it's history. It'll be neat if you displayed some old photos/history on your building, and the surrounding area in your gym. Folks with any good sense, and appreciation of American history would eat that shit up.

That being said, I'm not much of an indoor person, but if I lived in LA again, I'd seriously start going there; as it's such an awesome site that I'm sure holds a lot of amazing stories. A lot of hard men walked through those doors back in the day! Sigh...

By Pratyush Tiwary
Sep 23, 2012
Me on top of Middle Palisade, fall 2009.

I will come if you get some cracks :)

By Cochran949
Sep 26, 2012

Yes, finally! I live and work in a loft on 4th street so this sure beats the hour drive during traffic to Rockreation across town. When you start taking new members I'm in/how can I help hurry up the process?

By fossana
From Bishop, CA
Sep 26, 2012
downclimb off the First Flatiron <br />photo by TooTallTim

A gym on that end of town is long overdue. Great space too!

By Steve Powell
From Alhambra, California
Sep 30, 2012

not the greatest part of town

By Jay Grenier
From Burbank, CA
Oct 10, 2012

Hell yeah! Ten minute drive from my house. :D

By other
From San Diego, CA
Nov 14, 2012

How much is a day pass and punch card?

By David Carrera
Dec 3, 2012

Looks like there might be a little nearby competition,publicly provided- la.curbed.com/archives/2012/12/old_lincoln_heights_jail_coul>>>

By The Stronghold Climbing Gym
Dec 4, 2012

We heard from the Los Angeles River Revitalization Corporation that is trying to get Proposition K funding for the wall from the City that their plans call for it to be 30 feet wide and open in daylight hours for school groups. It will be available to the public only two Saturdays a month. So if it happens, it will not be a climbing gym.

However, it's not clear that it will happen. The City Engineer's office told us today that the project has been ruled ineligible for Proposition K funding, though this may be appealed.

By JWong
From Los Angeles, California
Dec 4, 2012

Are you near any metro lines?

By The Stronghold Climbing Gym
Dec 4, 2012

We're right near the Main / Ave. 20 stop of the 76 bus line, which connects to most of the DTLA metro stations.

By Kyle vH
Dec 14, 2012

I was just about to post a thread to ask if there were any gyms on this side of LA. Here's my answer. It's amazing how much east LA/downtown LA has changed in the last 3-5 years. It used to be desolate warehouses, now it's coffee shops and skinny jeans. A welcome change for sure.

By david doucette
Dec 14, 2012
Top of Intersection Rock, Joshua Tree NP.

looks like it's going to be an awesome gym for sure. unfortunately i'm in west LA which keeps me at rockreation because the location of stronghold is about the worst possible location for west LA, considering traffic et all. maybe they could do a stronghold westside ;)

By Mike Larson
From Los Angeles, CA
Feb 5, 2013
Weeping Wall Central Pillar

Any idea when approximately this will be opening? Going to be moving out there in April and am debating moving into Silver Lake to be closer to this new gym. But also don't want to have to commute to Rockreaction if it won't be opening until fall or later.

By The Stronghold Climbing Gym
Feb 6, 2013

Wow - you know you're a climber when you decide where to live based on how close the gym is!

We're waiting on permits now and will be in a better position to give an opening estimate once we're into construction -- sorry to not be more informative. Our best guess if things go smoothly is mid/late summer.

Good luck on the move from the East - and hope that SoCal delivers you up some great climbing.

By Fat Dad
From Los Angeles, CA
Feb 6, 2013

Mike Larson wrote:
am debating moving into Silver Lake to be closer to this new gym.

Quality of life in LA is greatly affected by your commute. Pick a place that you like reasonably close to work and your days will be much easier. Silverlake is a great choice if it's convenient to your job. Santa Monica/West LA is great too, but I'd live there because I wanted to live there, not to be near Rockcreation, which is just an OK gym. It's remarkable that in a city the size of LA, there is not a better, taller gym available. Hopefully this gym will fix that.

By agd
Dec 27, 2013
alaska

So it looks like this place is opening March 2014. Does anyone here plan on getting a membership and doing some lunchtime climbs?

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>