|By Jon Marek |
Feb 18, 2012
More than likely the gate at Sylvan Lake will be closed which means it will be a real chore to get to the spires/switchbacks/ten-pins. If the weather holds like it has been, you might be able to do some climbing behind the dam (not sure there are too many south facing options) and possibly some bouldering 'round the lake. On the plus side, it has been super warm, so if you do come out there is a good chance you could climb granite in the rushmore area (raisins in the sun comes to mind). My GF and I are planning to be out at the same time to climb south facing walls in Spearfish Canyon, if all else fails, falling rock can be quite nice during brief sunny days. If your objectives are the classic spire and needle routes though, I would second Eric and say wait another month or two.