The Myth of Mingus Limestone.

By JJ Schlick
From Flagstaff, AZ
Feb 11, 2007
JJ Schlick on first ropeless ascent of Cranium Crack .12 Watson Lake, Prescott, AZ.  1999

I am wondering if anyone out there has ever been to route quality limestone on Mingus mountain? In the original Rock and Road Toula has a note on suposedly good limestone, with the reference dedicated to Waugh I believe. While I have hiked every scrap of limestone I have found in hopes of finding something hidden, I just haven't been able to locate anything of quality. I am living in Prescott again, and would love to find the goods on Mingus if they actually exist. Thankyou for any feedback. I even take cryptic hints... JJ

By Paul Davidson
Jun 1, 2014

Don't tread please ?
What does that mean ?

not exactly a hidden wall...

Edit> apparently we remove our posts when called out?

By Nick Mattson
Jun 1, 2014

I just moved to Prescott for the season, would love to check out mingus mountain if anyone wants to take me too!

By Nick Mattson
Jun 1, 2014

By NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
tanuki

Tony San Felice wrote:
Hey, be real. We worked really hard here and I'm sorry but I would be hurt if people came and took all the fun that are the fruits of my labors. The climbing community is supposed to be one of the most closely understanding and family communities in sports, I would hope that's as true as I believe it to me

What are you saying? Do you feel that because you did some FAs that you now have some sort of special claim to the area and that people should only climb there if you "approve?" IF that is the case, then I feel that you are WAY out of line. If it is public land, then IMHO you need to learn to accept that others have just as much of a right to climb there and put up FAs as you do.

By Tony San Felice
From Cottonwood, Arizona
Jun 2, 2014

Guideline #1 Dont be a jerk. Its not easy getting to the spot, and it was even harder a while ago. Your welcome for that, show some gratitude kid, bolts dont pop up on walls, and trails dont build themselves. It is a public area go enjoy it thats why the bolts are there. Just remember that you did absolutely nothing to put them on the wall.

By ChefMattThaner
From Lakewood, co
ducking ropes at Copper

Tony San Felice wrote:

Sounds like selfishness pure and simple.

By Greg Opland
Georgeous!

Tony San Felice wrote:

WTF!?!?,

By JJ Schlick
From Flagstaff, AZ
Jun 2, 2014

This post is seven years old, but it looks I missed a lot in the last 24 hours....

By David Stephens
From Spokane WA.
Sport Climber

There was a day, not so long ago...you had to have a local hold your hand so you would be able to climb at Isolation Canyon. (Crazy eyes)

By ChefMattThaner
From Lakewood, co
ducking ropes at Copper

Tony San Felice wrote:

Wow, once again you need to calm down. Sounds like a serious sense of entitlement came with all that work you put in. Putting up routes and building trails is an extremely awesome thing to do for your fellow climber. I would like to extend my most sincere thanks for you time, money, effort, blood, sweat that went into a project such as developing remote(ish) crags. A very small percentage of climbers will follow in your footsteps and take the time to put in the effort you have already done.

That being said, you are the one coming off most jerk-like here. Developing a crag does not make you overlord or crag boss. The sense that because I didn't put up those specific bolts, I have less right to climb there than you is also pretty ludicrous. I mean don't get me wrong if I am racking up for a route and the FA comes by and asks if he can hop on because it's one of his babies and he really misses it, I will happily allow him to get on it first. But if some asshole comes running up the trail all red faced and foaming at the mouth (that's how we all picture you after reading your posts) and yells at me some bullshit about those bolts not popping up on the wall and the trails not building themselves, well you are likely to get punched in the face.

Try to be humble in your accomplishments, you did a great thing for climbers in your area, don't let your attitude towards them affect how you are remembered.

By NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
tanuki

JJ Schlick wrote:

I did not even notice that it was from 2007. The thread makes more sense with Tony's original response (that he deleted) in which he asked other climbers not to "tread" on this climbing area. I think that his response was on Sunday.

FWIW, Tony, I was not being a jerk. I was simply asking you a question about your original "please don't tread" response, and offering my opinion about you asking other climbers not to visit this crag that is located on public land. I stand by my original statement and still do not understand why you think you should have some level of control over who visits "your" crag.

By Eric Sophiea
Jun 2, 2014
Licking the cat with googly-eyes.

I usually sniff the first bolt of a climb when I get to it to see if someone else has "marked" it and identify if they are friend or foe. Then I decide if I should continue up. Often, there is no recognizable odor, so in those cases, I pee on the bolt to claim it for myself. I think it's a good method that will quickly resolve these sorts of debates in the climbing community.

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Jun 2, 2014
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.

Nice, Eric. I usually throw up mouse bones and hair on routes I put up.

By Scott M. McNamara
From Tucson, Arizona
One Way Sunset

This thread talks about trail building in the national forests.

I am a criminal defense attorney, but I really do not need any more work.

I would rather go climbing.

So please be aware that trail building is illegal in the national forests.

36 CFR 261.10 prohibits:

Constructing, placing, or maintaining any kind of road, trail, structure, fence, enclosure, communications equipment, or other improvement on National Forest system land or facilities without a special-use authorization, contract, or approved operating plan.

Three people built or improved trails in the Coconino National Forest in Sedona.

One (1) was fined five hundred dollars ($500.00).

It appears he was lucky and did not get banned for life from the forest.

Another was fined $1,000.00 and banned for two (2) years from the Coconino.

I believe both got probation and no jail time.

As a result of the trail building, the Coconino is now considering banning cross country mountain biking.

The Coconino points to Internet web sites that describe trails as alerting them to the problem.

Here is a link to an old post about the people who were prosecuted.

www.mountainproject.com/v/trail-building-in-s-arizona/107991>>>

By Nick Mattson
Jun 2, 2014

I work for the U.S Forest Service. Will escort anyone out to Mingus limestone if they show me around! I give soft catch ;)

By 1Eric Rhicard
Jun 9, 2014
It is a good sized roof. Photo: Jimbo

Mine mine mine mine mine. Sharing your toys is so much more fun.

By guy bon
Jun 9, 2014
yup...

Tony San Felice wrote:

Tony San Felice wrote:

c'mon. This crag is like 100 yards from a highway, it's on public land, people have been TRing these routes for years, and with all the routes combined it amounts to about 200' of mediocre climbing. Also, routes don't clean themselves either(hint). I trundled a couple hundred lbs. of rock off of the developed routes and am sure the newest routes could use the same treatment...

By smackawackalacka
Aug 21, 2014

Hi new here,

Would anyone be interested in meeting up and checking out a wall with me? It's not limestone but it is on Mingus.

By Max Supertramp
Aug 21, 2014

Oh Mingus got the goods:

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Aug 21, 2014
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.

ChefMattThaner wrote:
Sounds like selfishness pure and simple.

I know. Awesome. It's as if these route developers have to actually die off before you can climb their stuff because they can't be annoyed by crowds once their mortal containers are no longer animated.

By now this is actually happening, which is fun because you can then say you rediscovered an old area. Of course the hardware is crap by then, but still.

By Morgan Patterson
Aug 21, 2014
Stoked...

guy bon wrote:

Booom...east coast represent represent! I'm know Guy Bon's found the goods... he got skooled in CT! Probably found all the secret stuff then some...