The Houlding-Pickles game changer.

By Richard M. Wright
From Lakewood, CO
Jul 11, 2012
In the past we worked out sequences by trading leads with a usually unwilling partner. On The Prophet, Leo Houlding and Jason Pickles worked solo off a Grigri on a fixed line. Leo noted two advantages in his video. First, you can work things out solo, on your own time, without annoying your partner, who needs to show up only on the red point try. Second, the Grigri allows you to build in as much slack as you will ever get on the lead, so when it comes time for the lead, it actually feels like a done deal. Also, the Grigri beats working with jumars where more than likely you would be unwilling to take a fall. I mentioned this to Diana Rogers who felt that the Grigri might be huge disadvantage in the event of falling upside down. I've compared the Houlding-Pickles to other solo methods and it seems dramatically better than most other choices for dialing in a red point. Any other thoughts?

By J. Albers
From Colorado
Jul 11, 2012
Bucky
....a link to the video would help.

By Mick S
Jul 11, 2012
I used a Gri Gri to TR solo a project last summer. Most climbers find the slack to be annoying, I felt that it made me stronger, since pulling up the slack was similar to stopping to place the protection. I tied backup knots every so often.

By ABB
Jul 11, 2012
...and the fact that you can quickly descend and immediatley begin climbing again without having to futz with two pieces of hardware as is the case when using a Mini Traxion, e.g. rig rap device to rope, remove Mini Trax (or at least disengage cam), descend and then before climbing re-engage MT, remove rap device. This is especially beneficial when working a crux section repeatedly. The ability to quickly descend, often times a short distance, and 'get busy' is hugely significant. The Mini Trax is great for mileage/laps but a bit tedious for re-working crux sections.

By Darren Mabe
From Flagstaff, AZ
Jul 11, 2012
wham bam hand jam. Wrapping up the final moves of Twist of Fate, Oak Creek Canyon. <br /> <br />photo: Blake McCord
how do you keep the biner from cross loading? use a quicklink?

By caughtinside
From Oakland CA
Jul 11, 2012
Guys have been solo top roping on grigris for a long time. I don't think I'd call it a game changer.

The reason the traxion method is so popular is because you don't have to face those lobs onto a grigri. It does have the disadvantages of being harder to work a section and having to switch devices to lower.

The world's most famous toproper once told me that he only uses the cinch, that way if he falls he can lower straight to the ground.

By Greg Miller
From boulder, co
Jul 11, 2012
I use a Trango cinch with a DMM belay master biner, works awesome. rope goes through the cinch easy and you can just rap right back off your fixed line

By Nick Stayner
From Billings, MT
Jul 11, 2012
Nick Stayner near the crux. Ryan Minton photo.
caughtinside wrote:
The world's most famous toproper

Surfer Bob?

By Richard M. Wright
From Lakewood, CO
Jul 12, 2012
Only a game changer for the dolts like myself who have always worked projects with a climbing partner/belay slave.

By Richard M. Wright
From Lakewood, CO
Jul 12, 2012
video link: iclimb.com/products/Psyche-2-D...

By bearbreeder
Jul 12, 2012
make sure you back it up with knots or something else ...

By Bryan Gilmore
From Your Mama
Jul 12, 2012
Beagle
Darren Mabe wrote:
how do you keep the biner from cross loading? use a quicklink?

I just use a burly steel biner

By Cultivating Mass
Jul 12, 2012
Leading on the only "fair means" rack.
Top roping being a game changer.

Wack.

By Richard M. Wright
From Lakewood, CO
Jul 13, 2012
Its not the top rope that's key, it's working out cruxes solo. However, if you'd be okay serving endlessly as my belay slave, I'll happily forgo the Grigri !!!!!

By J. Broussard
From CordryCorner
Jul 13, 2012
Young Good Free Face, 11b

By Alex McIntyre
From Tucson, AZ
Jul 13, 2012
Jeffeos wrote:

What? I've never heard of this, and it has never happened to me before either.

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
Jul 13, 2012
OTL
Jeffeos wrote:
Rapping a single line with a GriGri will singe your rope. Or at least in my unfortunate experience. It was a 10.5 too. Edit: it was a long ways & didn't waste any time getting down. I don't use the GriGri for rope soloing anymore but after this experience I started using an ATC to get down. The extra 30 seconds to switch over was worth not trashing the rope.

I imagine if you rapped 30 seconds slower, the rope would have been fine.

By J. Broussard
From CordryCorner
Jul 13, 2012
Young Good Free Face, 11b
Matt N wrote:
I imagine if you rapped 30 seconds slower, the rope would have been fine.

I'm one of those crazy types that is always pushing for another pitch, an earlier departure, and faster partner and every thirty seconds feels like a lifetime if I could have saved it. Just think about how every 15 seconds I save adds up over the lifetime.

No, I blame my mom. She's a crazy lady in regards to efficiency and now I'm a crazy man.

By slim
Jul 13, 2012
tomato, tomotto, kill mike amato.
Beagle wrote:
I just use a burly steel biner

same here. i have a bunch of wraps of duct tape at the end of the spine to keep the grigri from slipping down the spine of the biner. i also use a chest harness, which helps keep it upright.

these days i usually just use an ascender though. feeds easier.

By Will S
From Joshua Tree
Jul 13, 2012
LOL at "game changer". Higgins was working the Owl Roof self-belayed with a jumar in 1973.

By Gunkiemike
Jul 14, 2012
Matt N wrote:
I imagine if you rapped 30 seconds slower, the rope would have been fine.

How much time will you lose buying a replacement rope?

By Tim Kuss
From Durango, CO
Jul 15, 2012
Guys- the crossloading on the biner won't break the biner, but will break the Gri gri. It will happen on a quick link or a beefy steel biner. The best thing to do is to put some tape rounds on either side of the grigri to keep it where you want it. Don't die man.

By Richard M. Wright
From Lakewood, CO
Jul 16, 2012
Self belay with a jumar is exactly not the point. We've been doing that for a couple of decades as well. Slack built up with a jumar results in the jumar inverting, and by no means can you fall on it. Running a jumar above the Grigri creates a standad top-rope, perfectly fine if you are just checking things out. It's worth taking a look at Houlding/Pickles on the Prophet, if you have not. They build up enough slack to generate truly long falls, then reel in the slack, and they are both doing it on hard overhanging 5.13. "game changer" may over state the notion, but I have not seen anyone around our local crags working cruxes in just this way. In playing with this system recently I've started out using a jumar and Grigri combination and then dropping the jumar when I think I'm close. For me anyway, my actual time working a crux has been multiplied ten fold.

By BScallout
Jul 16, 2012
A link for a $15 on-line video? Don't think I have the stoke you do.

By ZANE
From Cleveland, OH
Jul 16, 2012
I know i'm behind the times, but is there any difference for this purpose in the gri gri versus the gri gri 2?

By Richard M. Wright
From Lakewood, CO
Jul 16, 2012
Try this one, it's more expensive but its a good video:
chesslerbooks.com/item/11336-p...

Grigri 2 lets you work off a thinner lead line. Mine is 9.6.