The GriGri Ultimate Idiot Tape Scheme
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By Andy P.
From Wisconsin
Rainier
To my surprise, I have actually gotten a few compliments about this at the crag, someone suggested I post to MP so here it goes.

Yes, though it only takes about 15 seconds to look at the device once and know how it works, the internet is full of stories of misthreaded devices, even by experienced climbers, perhaps due to fatigue, overconfidence, or who knows...

The idea here is to simply add another layer of protection against being one of those people that we all hail as being champions of idiocy for failure to use the device properly. Also: subsequently I have found this color scheme is useful for when you are doing complex rescue sequences and are distracted by other things, perhaps just distracted enough to mix-up the climb side/brake side idea.

SO: put GREEN tape around the climber side. GREEN FOR "GOing" side. RED around the brake side, RED FOR "STOPing" side.

We will call this the "ultimate idiot scheme." I reserve the normal "idiot scheme" for the person I saw that traced the usage diagram with a sharpie pen for more visibility. If anyone has and even bigger idiot scheme for their device, we can come up with a new name.

New GriGri with ultimate idiot tape scheme. GREEN for GOing side, RED for STOPing side.

I suppose telling someone to pull the red lever is not confidence inspiring.
I suppose telling someone to pull the red lever is not confidence inspiring.

By Ethan Henderson
From Silverdale, WA
aliens
good idea man

By The Call Of K2 Lou
From Squamish, BC
Oct 26, 2013
A reasonable likeness of this user.
Great idea! As I am a practising idiot, I'm gonna go do this right now.

By Greg G
From SLC, UT
Oct 26, 2013
The route in it's entirety.
The lip side red tape will come off as that's where you roll the brake strand back, but you'll figure it out soon enough.

By nicelegs
From Denver
This matters

By Chris treggE
From Madison, WI
Egghead
nicelegs wrote:
This matters

It does in Wisconsin cuz we're usually drunk. We'll take all the help we can get.

By Ray Pinpillage
From West Egg
Middle
Let's see how you mark your shoe laces.

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV
I tape my shoes in order to make it easier to tell which is which. Same with my belay gloves.

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Oct 26, 2013
This is a good idea - I'm going to color code the accelerator and brake pedal in my car. It will save me and some pedestrians a lot of grief.

By Andy P.
From Wisconsin
Rainier
:D I have a complex coding scheme to indicate the approximate kn rating of my shoelaces... ya know... just in case.

Greg, the red tape, after a year of use all over the place, is somehow still there, I too am surprised but the rope must just glide over it.

By Khoi
From Vancouver, BC
johnnyrig wrote:
shouldn't BD offer them in a dual anodiztion scheme right from the factory? I mean...

I don't think Balck Diamond wants to deal with the shakedown from Petzl's lawyers that would be coming their way.

By Buff Johnson
smiley face
Great, now all the red/green colorblinds are totally f'd!

Is taking out a few drunk badgers really all that bad??

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
I just painted the hand (brake) side pic with red nail polish for visibility. tape rubs/peels off too easily.

By Tom-onator
From This Galaxy
Tom-onator
No tape required. :-P

By Thaddeus Thiggins
Oct 26, 2013
Wait....I'm red green color blind...

By Finn the Human
From The Land of Ooo
Mathematical!
Tom-osaurus Rex wrote:
No matter how hard I try, I can't fuck up threading my stitch plate, figure 8, or ATC. No tape required. :-P

As a gym employee, I can assure you that people fuck up threading their ATCs all the time.

By Tom-onator
From This Galaxy
Tom-onator
Finn the Human wrote:

They are prolly driven to the Ooovian gym by these guys...

...
...

By Khoi
From Vancouver, BC
Oct 27, 2013
Finn the Human wrote:

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Oct 27, 2013
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV
How does one mess up threading an ATC? How is that possible?

By jarthur
From Westminster, CO
Oct 27, 2013
My dogs got ups yo!
Jon Zucco wrote:
How does one mess up threading an ATC? How is that possible?

For realz? Easy ding dongs forget to put the little rope-y thing through the carabiner.

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Oct 27, 2013
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV
Wait, does ATC mean All Things Considered or Air Traffic Control?

I guess I am just confused about what you guys are talking about. Maybe if you marked it with tape, this thread would be easier to follow.

Just my 2 cents.

By Benjamin Chapman
From Small Town, USA
Oct 27, 2013
old 1/4" bolt.
Andy P.......good for you. Great use of metacognition to "idiot proof" your belay device. Whatever works for you.

By cdec
From SLC and Moab, ut
Oct 27, 2013
And I thought Petzl had nailed it with the picture of guy in the diaper on one side and the hand on the other.

I'm the guy in the Diaper your the Hand!
I'm the guy in the Diaper your the Hand!

By coldfinger
Oct 27, 2013
Not sure which this taping scheme screams more:

--I am SO clever and special!

--I am an idiot.

Not trying to be harsh, just pointing out that it doesn't take much DIY or other nonsense to make me avoid climbing with folks I don't know.

PULL TESTING has always been the gold standard, and it does remind one to check for 'two points', 'good knot', etc. every time.

Petzl diagram seems fine to me, as is a good understanding of how the device works......

By Brad M
Oct 27, 2013
It's much more fun convincing everyone their gri-gri is some kind of death device and watching them treat it like a loaded weapon.

By wivanoff
Oct 27, 2013
High Exposure
Jon Zucco wrote:
How does one mess up threading an ATC? How is that possible?

I saw this once at a gym and once outside on the cliff: The rope was threaded into one slot of the ATC, around a carabiner and out the OTHER slot of the ATC.

The girl at the gym was very appreciative when corrected. The guy outside insisted that his AMGA guide friend had taught him that way. "After all, that's why it had two slots in the first place...."

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>