The Downgrader knee pads by Send Climbing

By Ryan Stott
From Salt Lake City, UT
Feb 28, 2014
Uintas
I'm looking to get a pair of knee pads this spring, and I'm evaluating all options.

Has anybody tried these Downgrader pads? sendclimbing.com/

The design concept makes sense to me, but I haven't heard much about these, and I'm wondering if the $70/each price is worth it over other options.

Thanks

By Chris treggE
From Madison, WI
Feb 28, 2014
Egghead
Guy I climb with has one. Says it's great. I have been meaning to buy one, but am so lazy lately.

By Chris Vinson
Feb 28, 2014
They're amazing, really high quality. I own a couple and love them, the new buckle design is great, i've swapped out the buckles on my older pads with theirs.

They don't call them the downgrader for nothing...:)

By JCM
From Seattle, WA
Feb 28, 2014

By kennoyce
From Layton, UT
Feb 28, 2014
Climbing at the Gallery in Red Rocks
JCM wrote:
If the price tag for the "Send" pad seems a bit steep, a cheaper option, but still high quality, is to order them from Rock and Resole, for $28 each. I just bought a new pair of kneepads from them recently, since my old ones were blowing out. They'll make them custom for you and ship them out in a few days; very fast service. Make sure to call them and ask in detail about the sizing, since it is really weird. Also, they have them in two lengths; make sure to ask for the longer length, since the short ones are just too short. The Rock and Resole pads don't have straps, and as such you often need tape and/or spray to attach them. I actually prefer this style of pad, although this may depend on your preferences and the style of climbing you are doing. The Send pad seems to be designed for bouldering, and it looks like it would be superb for that, since the straps provide an easier on/off option when trying a boulder problem. The Send strap-on system also looks like it would be better if you wanted to wear them over pants. For sport climbing, especially in the summer, I think that the tape/spray option is superior, since you can start to sweat out of strap-on pad over the course of a long pitch. Glue and tape directly on skin will solve the sweat-out issue. I have not, however, used the Send pad, so I can't comment any further on the quality of that product. It looks like a great design, though. I'd be interested to a direct comparison from someone who has used both the Send pads and the Rock and Resole pads. Whatever you do, don't buy the Cava pads. They are of poor design, fall apart quickly, and use inferior rubber.

Awesome info, now do you have the number to Rock and Resole?

By tsouth
Mar 1, 2014
I've got the send as well and so far really like it. It's a way better design than other knee bar pads I've tried. Others just feel like a sock or cut off circulation or restrict mobility in your legs .

By tsouth