The appeal of ice climbing
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By Sir Spanxalot
Nov 13, 2012
So, what is it about ice climbing? I get it if your up in Canada or alaska and their is nothing else to do, but why do people seek out ice to climb? To me it's miserable. I hate being cold, the protection is essentially non existant, and your dealing with a medium that goes from solid to gas when warmed. Why not just go climb a rock?

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Epic free solo with a pack on
it's what separates the men from the girls

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Epic free solo with a pack on
also: it's fun

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Bocan
Mark Twight said it "doesn't have to be fun to be fun".

And just to look at those amazing aesthetic lines, in the beautiful winter mountains. Who wouldn't want to climb them?

Besides it's a gear junkies wet dream.

By Steve M
From MN
n00bw1b00b wrote:
it's miserable...cold, the protection is essentially non existant, and your dealing with a medium that goes from solid to gas when warmed.

You missed the screaming barfies, that's what makes ice climbing fun. That and whiskey.

By Keenan Waeschle
From Bozeman, MT
on top of the RNWF June 2012
don't forget the manspoon through those long winter nights.

By randy88fj62
Thunderbolt Peak in the Palisades
Ice climbing hones your skills so you can hit harder and more technical mountaineering routes. Top roping last year and learning to ice climb opened up a few couloirs for me this past season that I woudn't have donw without ice tools.

By Sir Spanxalot
Nov 13, 2012
Still not convinced. I see the point your making, Scott, but seriously, people venture out just to ice climb... not climb in the alpine, just hack your way up some ice. OK?

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Bocan
Probably along the same lines of why people rock climb. Who knows really. Just being out there with friends, enjoying the mountains, using your mind and body.

Not every day climbing rocks is fun...hot, sunburned, dehydrated etc. I have had great and bad days on both.

By Will Butler
From Boulder, CO
ice park
n00bw1b00b wrote:

You sound like my ex girl friends. Maybe you should also remind me how dangerous it is =).

By Dom
From New Brunswick Canada
Moby dick 5.11-
n00bw1b00b wrote:

Wow you are very ignorant. I'm Canadian and I rock climb outside more in the Winter than I ice climb. Ohh and BTW we don't live in Igloos.

By AndyMac
From Center, CO
Nov 13, 2012
Maybe this test shed some light on the mentality of ice climbing.
One question IQ test:
Do you want to go ice climbing?
Response: Surely you Jest.
IQ: 150+
Response: Sounds a little crazy, I'm not interested
IQ: 125-150
Response: Maybe someday, I'll call you
IQ: 100-125
Response: I'd like to give it a try. Will you take me sometime?
IQ: 80-100
Response: Do we have to wait until morning?
IQ: 50-80

I'm at about 65 and I'm guessing n00bw1b00b is more like 135.
I lifted this from Jack Hunt's intro from Life by the Drop, the SLV ice/mixed guide

By AWinters
From NH
Red-tail Hawk, Buttermilks
n00bw1b00b wrote:
I hate being cold

wear more clothes.

By Richard88
From Sheridan, WY
piney creek canyon
Will Butler wrote:

Hahaha, every time I go ice climbing my wife cleans the whole house because she's so nervous she can't stop moving

By Jeff J
From Bozeman
Ben Botelho wrote:
it's what separates the men from the girls

Wrong, I have several of my best ice climbing partners are women.

My Wife at play

Ice climbing seperates the candy ass climber and the real climbers.

My Wife making an snow angel, Montana Style.

Besides how are you going to rock climb when the clifs are covered with ice and snow? Rack up a broom and ice scraper?

By Princess Mia
From Vail
Chillin' at City of Rocks
Ben Botelho wrote:
it's what separates the men from the girls

I sooooo disagree!!!! It may separate the women from the boys though......

It is a good thing the OP doesn't understand...... Stick to skiing in the winter!!!

:-)

By Alex Quitiquit
From Salt Lake City
meow
n00bw1b00b wrote:

Unless you ice climb on dry ice and shit just sublimates instantly when warm.

But trolling can only be so easy huh?

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Epic free solo with a pack on
haha girls are not the same as women, am I right

By Princess Mia
From Vail
Chillin' at City of Rocks
......and most male climbers are boys....

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Epic free solo with a pack on
oh snap! haha

By Tits McGee
From Boulder, CO
How I Send
There is no appeal. Mind your business, nothing to see heren move along...

By cdec
From SLC and Moab, ut
Tits McGee wrote:
There is no appeal. Mind your business, nothing to see heren move along... Any one interested in learning ice, it is terrible, but I hear snow boarding rocks!

Agreed! Just back from Brighton saw the appeal. Cigarettes, Red bull, music streaming thru the Dr. Dre's in the line. Chair carries you to the top and you shoot Digi and stills with the 5D and the L series lens the whole way down. SICK!

By Larry S
Nov 13, 2012
The wife and I road-trippin on the Connie.
Alex Quitiquit wrote:
Well in the world of science, when the solid form of water, which we shall call, of let's just say, ice, gets warmer it turns into a liquid, let's call that water. Unless you ice climb on dry ice and shit just sublimates instantly when warm. But trolling can only be so easy huh?

Not an ice climber, but ice does sublimate, it's just harder to witness it happening. It's the reverse of the process that makes frost. You need very dry air and an energy source, such as bright sunlight. Dry ice sublimates so apparently because the ambient air provides all the energy the process needs to happen and air is relatively "dry" for carbon dioxide (only about 4%")

Sublimation of Ice.

"Sublimation occurs more readily when certain weather conditions are present, such as low relative humidity and dry winds. Sublimation also occurs more at higher altitudes, where the air pressure is less than at lower altitudes. Energy, such as strong sunlight, is also needed. If I was to pick one place on Earth where sublimation happens a lot, I might choose the south face of Mt. Everest. Low temperatures, strong winds, intense sunlight, very low air pressure—just the recipe for sublimation to occur."

By Alex Quitiquit
From Salt Lake City
meow
John Marsella wrote:
But what happens if the local environment hits triple-point, or the atmospheric pressure drops drastically and the temperature stays constant (like, a couple of orders of magnitude)? In those situations, n00b could have a point (of course, there would be other problems concurrent to those conditions)

I can only assume, given your other worldly conditions, that a gamma ray burst has struck the vicinity of said ice formation causing immediate sublimation. And complete and utter destruction of the local environment.

By Sir Spanxalot
Alex Quitiquit wrote:

Actually, ice sublimates to water vapor as well as liquid water at the same instant. When ice meets sun, this happens. Water has very different properties from other liquids on this planet. I would think if you wanted to quote science you would already know about the properties of water.
See here... physics has the answer
physicsforums.com/showthread.p...

What's with all the snarkyness? I'm asking a valid question.

By 419
From Denver
JR Token
Climb ice, snow, mud, trees, roots and rock.

Then you can climb anything.

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>