The 2011-12 Colorado Ice Conditions Thread
   Page 1 of 19.  1  2  3  4  5   Next>   Last>>

By ozman
From CO / NM
Oct 7, 2011
Hyalite shots

With this winter storm, has anybody seen anything forming? I'm so anxious for the ice, I can hardly stand it. I see Wolf Creek is open this weekend so that is a good sign.

By John R. Williams
From Fort Collins, CO
Oct 7, 2011
Coming up the lower section in deep snow.

As of last weekend not much was forming in the Longs Peak/Mt. Meeker area.

By Jeremy Monahan
From Fort Fun, CO
Oct 7, 2011
View of Longs Peak from Mt. Alice, RMNP

There was some good verglas on the N face of Longs Peak that formed last week after the previous storm dumped 15" on RMNP. Cable route, & several other lines to the climber's right had solid snow and verglas extending over most routes. Nothing super hard, but fun 1-2 pitch routes that only form ephemerally. Take Cable route to summit for maximum effect. Bolts were still exposed, but with the fresh snow yesterday it's anyones guess.

In all, I agree with John W. Not much else is formed at this time. More snow and subsequent melt/freeze is needed to form the usual routes.

By Taylor-B.
From CO & AK
Oct 8, 2011
Mt. Churchill, University Range

Can/has any one been up to Lincoln falls to unclog the ice farming system.
P.S-itís worth taking the tools for a walk or climb in this area right now or the next few days!!!

By Kevin Craig
Oct 9, 2011
KC on Fields (medium).  Photo (c) Doug Shepherd

Thinking about heading up for that purpose in the next day or two. If anyone gets there first, please post up.

By Jim Amidon
Oct 9, 2011
J TREE

Lame......

How about starting this silly thread when there is ice.....

By Buff Johnson
Oct 9, 2011
smiley face

Depending on how involved a lab write-up needs to be; I might be up for Tues, Kev.

By Kevin Craig
Oct 9, 2011
KC on Fields (medium).  Photo (c) Doug Shepherd

Buff, gotta work Tues, but some other friends will be up there then. If you want, I can hook you up.

By Mark Wyss
From Denver, CO
Oct 9, 2011
Mt. Baker

Has anyone been up on Kiener's/Cable in the last couple days?

By Hank Caylor
From Golden, CO
Oct 9, 2011
Yoda

Jim Amidon wrote:
Lame...... How about starting this silly thread when there is ice..... Geez maybe it should have been started in August, or July when I'm sure The notch Coular was climbed with ice tools..

YEAH JIM!! fully agree, 100%! full on Winter denial goin' on right here..

By Abram Herman
From Golden, CO
Oct 9, 2011
Viking helmet cover, yep.

Nothing wrong with starting the thread a bit early, IMO--getting psyched for ice season!!

By jack roberts
Oct 9, 2011

Be in denial all you want Hank..........There is ice in Loch Vale right now.

Stuff is forming and the middle of this week is the time to get on it.

By Woodchuck ATC
Oct 9, 2011
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Hank Caylor wrote:
YEAH JIM!! fully agree, 100%! full on Winter denial goin' on right here..

Enjoy the warm fall weather as long as you can......let the ice be there when it's really there.

By Kevin Craig
Oct 10, 2011
KC on Fields (medium).  Photo (c) Doug Shepherd

jack roberts wrote:
Be in denial all you want Hank..........There is ice in Loch Vale right now. Stuff is forming and the middle of this week is the time to get on it.

Wow, that'll be nice for a change! Now if people will just stay off it or be gentle until it forms up well.

By Buff Johnson
Oct 10, 2011
smiley face

I'd sure like to get out and get some mixed; getting pounded on my lab work though. Probably will be stuck late tomorrow & better stick with it thru Weds.

Maybe Thurs.

By Keith H. North
From Englewood, CO
Oct 10, 2011
A short M4 climb in the School Room @ Ouray

I had a friend get on ice at Lincoln today.

By Ryan N
From San Louis Obispo
Oct 10, 2011
RJN

Lincoln Falls on 10-9-11. The ice was climb-able, plenty of screw placements on the main gully. Far right side pillar fat and climb-able.

1st pitch.
1st pitch.

2nd pitch.
2nd pitch.

Falls from approach.
Falls from approach.

By Tits McGee
From Boulder, CO
Oct 10, 2011
How I Send

THE OBLIGATORY "Let it grow" POST...

But who really cares, as long as YOU are having fun - Bash away.

I agree with Jim - It's October, get a life people.

By kirra
Oct 10, 2011

ozman wrote:
I see Wolf Creek is open this weekend so that is a good sign.

I may be headed south through Wolf P & Lake Shit'y. If anyone in the area is interested in dusting off tools, nothing major -pm a shout out dare we not disturb these slumbering denialers -thanx

By Buff Johnson
Oct 10, 2011
smiley face

The bowling alley at Lincoln isn't really that much a growth concern toward getting on it early-season, or any time of season for that matter. Any of us can certainly jump on the difficult mixed at vail or fickle alpine any time of the year without community approval; the beef is more about readily accessible pillars & curtains.

By Ryan N
From San Louis Obispo
Oct 10, 2011
RJN

Tits McGee wrote:
THE OBLIGATORY "Let it grow" POST... But who really cares, as long as YOU are having fun - Bash away. I agree with Jim - It's October, get a life people.

Tits how goes it? Yea I feel what your saying, but when youve got an itch scratch it right?

By Tits McGee
From Boulder, CO
Oct 10, 2011
How I Send

Ryan N wrote:

When's that Sarcasm font going to be available? Ryan, it's going great, I am ready to get out on some ice myself, hit me up whenever you want to climb!

By Kevin Craig
Oct 10, 2011
KC on Fields (medium).  Photo (c) Doug Shepherd

I was up at Lincoln this afternoon and the warmer temps are taking a toll on "climb-ability." Everything was *super* wet and lots of water running under, over, and all around all the ice. Conditions not nearly as good today as they appear in Ryan's photos. At the top of the bowling alley, I tried a line on the left and backed down about 1/2 way through it (was solo, but still...) I doubt many screws would have been worth much today and definitely not on any of the steep wet stuff and top-outs are likely to be spicy at best. Recommend waiting until the next cold spell. The upper pillar could be brought down fairly easily right now with injudicious swinging/kicking (or maybe even just looking). I didn't spend much time near it. Good news is things are shaping up very nicely if given some time and cold weather to grow/firm up. Could be the best year in a while, given these caveats.

By Ryan N
From San Louis Obispo
Oct 17, 2011
RJN

BUMP for some ice!?

By Copperhead
Oct 17, 2011

Ryan N wrote:
BUMP for some ice!?

Nothing below 11000 feet is in shape. It's been too warm.

By Chris L.
From Laramie, WY
Oct 17, 2011

Has anyone seen Dreamweaver recently?

Page 1 of 19.  1  2  3  4  5   Next>   Last>>