The 1978 film "El Capitan"
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By Bill Duncan
From Jamestown, CO
Mar 14, 2011
Leading the 3rd pitch of West Side Story.
This ultra classic film seems to be very difficult to find. Does anyone have an extra copy for sale or know where to find one?

This is the film by Fred Padula, filmed by Glen Denny.

By Woodchuck ATC
Mar 14, 2011
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
It's a classic for sure. Try Chessler books as he often has alot of rare stuff.

By Bill Duncan
From Jamestown, CO
Mar 14, 2011
Leading the 3rd pitch of West Side Story.
I just looked at Chessler earlier today, and to my surprise, found the goose egg.

By mountainsense
Mar 14, 2011
"El Capitan" is the greatest climbing film of all time!!!

By Kevin Kent
From Flagstaff, AZ
Mar 14, 2011
At the end of the movie it says
"EL CAPITAN
47 Shell road
Mill City, CA 94941
(415)388-3649"

Thats from 1978, so I doubt it will lead anywhere, but its the best I can do for you.

By Todd Ritter
From Lafayette
Mar 14, 2011
PM sent

By bag
Mar 14, 2011
This film was shown at the first or second Alpinist film festival in Jackson Hole back in around 2003 or something. You might have some luck by contacting the Alpinist offices or Christian Beckwith directly. Awesome movie.

By Bill Duncan
From Jamestown, CO
Mar 14, 2011
Leading the 3rd pitch of West Side Story.
Thanks, Kevin, Todd.

As of August 2009, Fred still lives there! I'll give him a try.

By Jordan Ramey
From Calgary, Alberta
Mar 15, 2011
What was left of the rack when I topped out on the...
I have it. PM me.

By Malcolm Daly
From Boulder, CO
Mar 15, 2011
Bill,
The North Boulder Video Store on B-way and Quince has lots of classic old climbing videos. Check them out.
Mal

By Eric Krantz
From Black Hills
Mar 15, 2011
smoke break, pitch 5 or 6 (or 7??) of Dark Shadows
Sounds like a movie that should be passed around, similar to this one:

take it to the limit

By Bill Duncan
From Jamestown, CO
Mar 15, 2011
Leading the 3rd pitch of West Side Story.
It is indeed a movie that should be passed around, except this one is actually about climbing. ;-)

By wynn padula
Oct 8, 2012
The film is being re-released!! Here is a note from the filmmaker:

EL CAPITAN, the classic 1968 movie is on Kickstarter

Google: Kickstarter, El Capitan

With the money that I hope to raise from Kickstarter contributors, I will be able to complete the El Capitan film restoration, and prepare the DVD master.

After being out of distribution for over 10 years, with your help, the classic film, El Capitan, will finally be available again, restored in HD and looking better than ever.

If you would be inclined to pass this information on to your friends by way of Twitter and Facebook, it would really help.

Thank you for your support.

Sincerely,
Fred Padula

By slobmonster
Oct 10, 2012
link:

EL CAPITAN KICKSTARTER

Donate! $15 minimum kickstart gets you a DVD.

By Woodchuck ATC
Oct 10, 2012
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
Forgot my kickstarter sign in, so went through facebook. Look forward to the DVD arriving sometime after Nov. deadline!

By Gold Plated Rocket Pony
From Boulder, CO
Oct 10, 2012
yep
This is great, just kicked in some $ on kickstarter

By handon broward
From Westminster, CO
Oct 10, 2012
Elk Range, CO
This is awesome. Pledged my money. Has any effort been made to maybe go after some real sponsors? Maybeee some major climbing companies or a magazine? I am assuming that the AAC wouldn't be interested in funding something like this? Just some thoughts because it seems like a ton of money to raise guerilla style in one month...just in terms of making the deadline. I hope this works out, good climbing flicks are hard to come by and it would be great to see something from a different era. Best of luck.

By Rick McL
From Arvada CO
Oct 10, 2012
5.6+
Fred,
Thanks for making this restoration possible. I got my first copy of "El Capitan" in 1979 when I was just 19 years old. Unfortunately it dissapeared during a big shindig at my house many years ago. I've tried several times to replace that old VHS with no success. Your film was one of the original inspirations that led me to be a climber for the rest of my life. Nice work.
I made my $$ contribution to your cause.
I look forward to having a new copy to show my kids and watch them get psyched.
Cheers,
Rick

By Fred Padula
Oct 21, 2012
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all your encouragement. I'm really appreciative of all the support.

There have been over 280 pledges so far on Kickstarter and we are half-way there with 10 days to go. I've also been actively seeking a corporate sponsor.

Brandon had a good point that it's a lot to accomplish by the Kickstarter deadline.

I'm open to any ideas on how to get 280 more pledges!

Thank you again for your generous support.

Fred

By Christian
From Casa do Cacete
Oct 21, 2012
Coup
Pledge made.

By Fred Padula
Oct 23, 2012
Thanks again everyone. Please share with the Kickstarter page with your friends kickstarter.com/projects/17657.... We have 8 days to go and need a lot more contributions to reach our goal. I've really been trying to get El Capitan back in circulation and it's been a big effort and expense and need a little help to make this successful. Thank you very much.

Please feel free to contact me directly at elcapitanthemovie@gmail.com or fredpadula@hotmail.com.

By Morgan Patterson
Oct 23, 2012
Stoked...
Fred - best of luck! Just contributed...

By Rick Blair
From Denver
Oct 23, 2012
This is a novel auto blocking belay device.  I thi...
Maybe some grant money could be awarded from American Alpine Club or Sierra Club or something?

At the very least perhaps AAC would put up a sign at their headquarters and/or library in Golden.

Good luck!

By Derek Roland
Oct 24, 2012
There are not too many things that drastically changed the course of my life.

This film really did. I borrowed this film in VHS so many times from my local climbing shop (AMH).

So eventually I ended up driving into Yosemite completely sleep deprived and nodding off at the wheel through Tuolumne..I crushed my fingers in the window .. I yelled and screamed in order to stay awake.. I could not stop

There was only one place I wanted to go.. As I came around the corner after exiting a tunnel I saw ElCap for the first time..

I navigated a crazy bunch of roads and drove past camp four at a high rate of speed.. I found some pullout next to a meadow and stared upward at my destination ..jumped out of the car grabbing my rock shoes.

I nearly flew through the woods and came to the sacred stone... I touched it, put my shoes on and began to climb...

Thanks Fred

Lets make this happen

By mattm
From TX
Oct 24, 2012
Grande Grotto
Bump

Donation made - BluRay!

This film was before my time so I'm looking forward to seeing this. looks great.

By Woodchuck ATC
Oct 24, 2012
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
this film is classic for sure.....did my kickstarter for it last month...hope that others come through to save this project in next few days.

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>