Thanks to Matt Samet

By Cultivating Mass
Dec 19, 2011
Leading on the only "fair means" rack.
Aside from replacing a boatload of bolts for the ARI, putting up a bunch of routes, and writing a lot of funny articles over the years, I just wanted to publicly put it out there that the Climbing Dictionary is *effing hilarious* and deserves to be in a lot of stockings. Well done, man.

By Woodchuck ATC
Dec 19, 2011
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
Yeah, agree on the dictionary. Just got mine last month and learned alot of new terms, regionally in use.

By Kevin Landolt
From Fort Collins, Wyoming
Dec 19, 2011
Matt's Climbing Dictionary is not just "effing hilarious", but contains a wealth of important information as well : )

By PTZ
From Chicago/Colorado
Dec 19, 2011
Where? Wouldn't you like to know. You have to buy ...
When I met Matt at Rifle clean up in 2001. It was the first time I ever saw someone run up a hard Route. Seriously, Run, up a route. This was on Crime and Punishment 12A. Meat wall. Great guy and asset to climbing. Cheers Matt

By Optimistic
From New Paltz
Dec 19, 2011
Killis Howard wrote:

Haven't seen the dictionary yet, but this article climbing.com/exclusive/feature... has done more for my climbing than just about anything I can think of. Bumped my leading up a number grade or more. If you're already good, none of it will be news to you, but I'm no part of good, so I found it super-helpful. Thanks Matt!

By Monty
From Golden, CO
Dec 19, 2011
Just a teaser
I was lucky enough to meet Matt a little over a year ago. Definitely one of the nicest guys I've met and nothing sums up his attitude better than his "lose the tude" forward in Bob D's BoCan book. Thanks for all of your hard work.

By coppolillo
Dec 19, 2011
wait, Samet's still alive? that guy owes me money! who has his digits?! i'm gonna get that sucka!

By David Rivers
Dec 19, 2011
East Beach bouldering
Matt is an excellent writer. His articles and columns for Climbing and R&I were funny and entertaining, but it was when I read several of his pieces published in the short lived "She Sends" magazine that I really saw his depth and talent. I hope we see more of that someday.

I found this article after seeing this thread. Brilliantly courageous and honest. Thanks Matt.

outsideonline.com/outdoor-adve...

By rogerbenton
Dec 19, 2011
Whoever this guy is, he's just plain irresponsible...
nice one killis.

By Mike Howard
Dec 19, 2011
RGG silhouette
Bump for all the reasons mentioned above. Bob D tells me he is enjoying fatherhood now as well. All the best to you Matt Samet.

By Brent Apgar
From Out of the Loop
Dec 20, 2011
Me and Spearhead
Not exactly a close friend of Matt's but I've known him for years. I definitely miss his old R & I articles that always had a great sense of humor.
Here's to you Mr. Samet, you've definitely gotten better w/ age.
Hope you keep going strong,
BA

By Kelly Cordes
Dec 20, 2011
Agree fully with all of the great sentiments above -- I've known Matt for many years now, and he's a thoughtful person, caring, great friend. Helped me through the roughest time of my life a few years ago, he was always there, and I will always be grateful. He's a terrific writer and one of the best editors I've worked with (he edited several articles that I wrote during his times at the climbing magazines). The "Sictionary" is classic -- definitely a great stocking stuffer ('tis the season) -- and he's working on another book, and is a new father -- go Matt!

By Joe Huggins
From Grand Junction
Dec 20, 2011
mmmm....tree
Yes-a hearty Huzzah for Kristen and Matt.
Buy the book,buy extras for friends and
Happy Festivus

By David Rivers
Dec 22, 2011
East Beach bouldering
I found an excellent article of Matt's on Outside online about anxiety and addiction. Deeply personal and courageous, it also says volumes about our sport's culture and the wider culture. There's a link to it in my previous post.

Thanks, Matt for all your writing from hilarious and profane to deadly serious and insightful.