Ten Sleep 3rd week of May

By wilcox510
Mar 20, 2013

Never been to Ten Sleep, thinking about going 3rd week of May. It seems its more of a summer destination. What can I expect weather and conditions wise at that time?

By Sean Nelb
From Grand Junction, CO
Mar 20, 2013
Some Like it Hot (5.12b). Devils Tower, WY

Unlike summer, you might be chasing sun rather than shade. Most of the main areas have sun until early afternoon. Be prepared for freezing temperatures at night. French Cattle Ranch could have snow at the base still. The old road where most of the free camping is located is still closed (with a gate) at that point, so you'll probably have to use the USFS campground at the bottom of the canyon. May tends to have more rain as well. Ten Sleep is a cool place though. You'll have a blast if the weather holds.

By JCM
From Henderson, NV
Mar 20, 2013

If you do get hosed at Ten Sleep that week (due to lingering snow/wet/cold/etc.), head to Sinks Canyon. Lower elevation and sunnier, it is a good backup plan if conditions are no good at Ten Sleep.

By wilcox510
May 5, 2013

still trying to decide on where to go, leaving May 16th. bump for more opinions and current conditions

By Dave Alie
From Golden, CO
May 5, 2013
Photo Credit: The talented Pete Garceau

I'm hoping to head up to Ten Sleep that same weekend, but am considering other options if the weather looks hostile. If you're looking for partners, feel free to get in touch.

By canyonclimber
From Casper WY
May 5, 2013

Try Fremont Canyon near Casper. Tons of great granite and free camping. May is prime time there. If you need a partner let me know at mjdoutdoors@hotmail.com

By Axel Foley
May 6, 2013

I will be up in Ten Sleep the 1st of June, how is the weather generally around that time? On a similar note, how are the conditions in the Tetons around early June?

By JCM
From Henderson, NV
May 6, 2013

Axel Foley wrote:
On a similar note, how are the conditions in the Tetons around early June?

Based on how this spring is going...snowy.

By JCM
From Henderson, NV
May 6, 2013

Dave Alie wrote:

Lander is probably the better early season option. Sinks canyon...warmer, drier, lower elevation, sunnier.