Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
T wall: found gear after accident
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
 
By Mike Flanagan
From Boone, NC
Feb 24, 2014
We think we recovered gear left from an accident that happened at T wall on 2-22-14. PM me the climb you were on and what you left and I'll get it back to you. Wishing a speedy recovery.

FLAG
By Alan Brock
From Cleveland, TN
Feb 24, 2014
Unnamed route at Starr Mountain
Any details about the accident? The news report just said climbing accident/fall from ~30 at T-Wall.

FLAG
By Paul Barnes
From Gainesville, Georgia
Feb 24, 2014
Word on the street is that a climber decked off of Plastic Toys after ripping a couple pieces in a fall.

FLAG
By Brittany Decker 1
From Kennesaw, GA
Mar 2, 2014
I fell off of "it ain't easy" which is a 5.9 I had never been on that starts next to plastic toys. I ripped my first and only pieces of gear out and decked 40 feet to the boulder under the climb. I'm still in the hospital after having spinal surgery and trying to locate my rack so please send it I the address that my friends provided you!!!

FLAG
By trad4eva
Mar 2, 2014
Hope you have a complete and speedy recovery!

FLAG
By 5.samadhi
Mar 2, 2014
me
wow Mike way to be a good guy. Respect.

FLAG
By CraigS.
Mar 3, 2014
Brittany, best wishes on a speedy recovery. We heard about it around hear but only had rumors to go on. Thanks for the info.

FLAG
By Mike Flanagan
From Boone, NC
Mar 3, 2014
Brittany,

Fear not, your rack is on its way soon. Some of the gear ended up in a buddy's pack and he and I are linking up to get it your way in the next day or so. As soon as that happens I'm gonna hit the post office and it'll be on its way. Be well.

Cheers,
Mike

FLAG
 
By adatemp
Mar 3, 2014
If you don't mind me asking what pro did you fall on and about how high above were you? Nobody ever likes to hear about a fellow climber getting injured doing what we all love but sometimes there are lessons others can learn from the details of an incident like this. I hope your recovery goes well and you are able to get back out asap!

FLAG
By Adam Burch
From San Dieger
Mar 3, 2014
you local?
Whoa, glad you are okay. How great is it to have someone find and return gear? I've found/returned a couple nice jackets, and someone found and returned my camera (all the way from Mexico). Good times for sure.

Pretty crazy how your name is Decker and you decked. Heal up quick and get back out there!

FLAG
By Craig Childre
From Lubbock, Texas
Mar 3, 2014
Potrero Mexico, Sport Climbing Mecca.
I thought the 'Decker' last name was a joke or trolling... wishing you a short full recovery.

FLAG
By Kelly FIelds
Mar 3, 2014
The Nutcracker, Yosemite
Adam Burch wrote:
Whoa, glad you are okay. How great is it to have someone find and return gear? I've found/returned a couple nice jackets, and someone found and returned my camera (all the way from Mexico). Good times for sure. Pretty crazy how your name is Decker and you decked. Heal up quick and get back out there!



Pretty crazy how the girl's in the hospital recovering from spinal cord surgery and you think that's an appropriate thing to say.

Wishing you a speedy recovery, Brittany!

FLAG
By Adam Burch
From San Dieger
Mar 4, 2014
you local?
Kelly FIelds wrote:
Pretty crazy how the girl's in the hospital recovering from spinal cord surgery and you think that's an appropriate thing to say. Wishing you a speedy recovery, Brittany!


Was there some download I forgot to do when I created my account here? Some plugin that would make me hair-trigger sensitive and/or put a stick inside my butt?

That seems to be the flavor of a lot of posters on the ole MP.

Chill.

FLAG
By 5.samadhi
Mar 4, 2014
me
adatemp wrote:
If you don't mind me asking what pro did you fall on and about how high above were you? Nobody ever likes to hear about a fellow climber getting injured doing what we all love but sometimes there are lessons others can learn from the details of an incident like this. I hope your recovery goes well and you are able to get back out asap!

mind your own business man. Just know how to play gear and you won't deck.

the guy that made fun of her last name you deserve to be punched in your fucking face.

FLAG
By Adam Burch
From San Dieger
Mar 4, 2014
you local?
5.samadhi wrote:
mind your own business man. Just know how to play gear and you won't deck. the guy that made fun of her last name you deserve to be punched in your fucking face.


So good. To be fair, her last name is "1".

In addition, nobody "made fun" of anything. I said it was crazy, and that she should heal up quick and get back out there.

It'd be the same thing as if your name was "doesn'treadandcomprehendwell"

FLAG
By sandstoned
Mar 4, 2014
5.samadhi wrote:
mind your own business man. Just know how to play gear and you won't deck. the guy that made fun of her last name you deserve to be punched in your fucking face.

Whoa there tiger! Calm down. Adam didn't say anything rude, merely stated an obvious, kinda unfortunate coincidence. You gotta expect that pun will be played until well past it's prime. Some people deal with pain using laughter and jokes, and assume that what works for them will work for others. I am one of those people. He wasn't being mean, no need for you to.

Sorry to hear about your accident; heal well Brittany.

FLAG
 
By 5.samadhi
Mar 4, 2014
me
sandstoned wrote:
Whoa there tiger! Calm down. Adam didn't say anything rude, merely stated an obvious, kinda unfortunate coincidence. You gotta expect that pun will be played until well past it's prime. Some people deal with pain using laughter and jokes, and assume that what works for them will work for others. I am one of those people. He wasn't being mean, no need for you to. Sorry to hear about your accident; heal well Brittany.

yes some people are douchebags too what's your point..

having broken my back myself I can relate to her situation and I would be disgusted with you if you said something like that to me.

FLAG
By sandstoned
Mar 4, 2014
5.samadhi wrote:
yes some people are douchebags too what's your point.. having broken my back myself I can relate to her situation and I would be disgusted with you if you said something like that to me.

I thought I made my point: He wasn't being mean, no need for you to be mean.

And second, I don't see how your name would work with that kind of punny comment.

FLAG
By Adam Burch
From San Dieger
Mar 4, 2014
you local?
5.samadhi wrote:
yes some people are douchebags too what's your point.. having broken my back myself I can relate to her situation and I would be disgusted with you if you said something like that to me.


Now I'm laughing. Wasn't laughing at Ms. Decker, just making an observation. This, however, is rich. Review your posts on other threads in this forum.

Me thinks Dbags that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Important thing is, she's alive and healing, and somebody is hooking her back up with gear. Life is good.

EDIT: apparently my grasp of written English needs work.

FLAG
By pfwein
Mar 4, 2014
Adam Burch wrote:
Now I'm laughing. Wasn't laughing at Ms. Decker, just making an observation about irony..


Not irony, just a pun.
Irony ≠ coincidence.

FLAG
By adatemp
Mar 4, 2014
5.samadhi wrote:
mind your own business man. Just know how to play gear and you won't deck. the guy that made fun of her last name you deserve to be punched in your fucking face.



You seem a little defensive there samadhi. I asked BRITTANY a very normal question in as polite a manner as possible and yet YOU respond as though I am being some sort of asshole so I guess that's what I will be now. Just know how to place gear and you won't deck? Was that directed at me or her? Is asking HER about HER pro out of line? Trust me I have no problem protecting whatever route I decide to get on which is exactly why I can't help but wonder what the hell happened to cause this poor girl to deck from 40' on a 9-. Mind your own business man?? Why not share the details of an incident such as this? Pride maybe? Ego? Was it stupidity, lack of experience, equipment failure? I guess assumption taking the place of truth is ok with you samadhi. And yes, her last name being Decker is funny, I don't care who you ask! Get well soon Brittany.

FLAG
By 5.samadhi
Mar 4, 2014
me
adatemp wrote:
You seem a little defensive there samadhi. I asked BRITTANY a very normal question in as polite a manner as possible and yet YOU respond as though I am being some sort of asshole so I guess that's what I will be now. Just know how to place gear and you won't deck? Was that directed at me or her? Is asking HER about HER pro out of line? Trust me I have no problem protecting whatever route I decide to get on which is exactly why I can't help but wonder what the hell happened to cause this poor girl to deck from 40' on a 9-. Mind your own business man?? Why not share the details of an incident such as this? Pride maybe? Ego? Was it stupidity, lack of experience, equipment failure? I guess assumption taking the place of truth is ok with you samadhi. And yes, her last name being Decker is funny, I don't care who you ask! Get well soon Brittany.

You obviously do not get it so I won't spare very many words on your pathetic post.

She fractured her spine. Why are you asking her to analyze her accident from the fucking hospital bed. This is much like a low hook turn in skydiving where the skydiver crashes into the ground at high velocity (which we see quite often by the way in the last 2 decades). There is nothing here for you to learn other than "don't do that".

You know how to place gear? Great. Then why did you ask what went wrong. Its obvious what went wrong brother - she improperly placed protection and it ripped out and she decked because of that.

Yes assumption taking the place of truth is OK with me here given that the target of your inquiry is a girl in the hospital with a broken spine.

So back to my original point, mind your fucking business.

adatemp wrote:
Why not share the details of an incident such as this? Pride maybe? Ego? Was it stupidity, lack of experience, equipment failure?

FLAG
By 5.samadhi
Mar 4, 2014
me
Adam Burch wrote:
Life is good. EDIT: apparently my grasp of written English needs work.

Life would be better if people were not laughing at her on the internet. But oh well I guess we don't live in an ideal world.

It also just struck me that both of you are probably young and do not have very much experience on incident threads. So I forgive your ignorance/stupidity in this thread given that you are probably n00bs to this kind of thing.

But seriously try to have a little more tact and not be so rabid to jump on an incident thread and start questioning the injured party about whether her spinal fracture was because of "stupidity" (yes one of you dbags said this is a possible cause).

FLAG
By David Tapke
Mar 4, 2014
5.samadhi wrote:
There is nothing here for you to learn other than "don't do that". You know how to place gear? Great. Then why did you ask what went wrong. Its obvious what went wrong brother - she improperly placed protection and it ripped out and she decked because of that.



Rock has never blown out with properly placed gear?

Things have never been learnt from mistakes?

p.s. see at the top of the screen.. "Guidleline #1: dont be a jerk"

hope you have a speedy recovery, maybe send the AAC a text file of what happened so they can include it in their "accidents in mountaineering" book they send out every year so other climbers can learn from mistakes, or find out about common gear failures.

FLAG
 
By Adam Burch
From San Dieger
Mar 4, 2014
you local?
5.samadhi wrote:
Life would be better if people were not laughing at her on the internet. But oh well I guess we don't live in an ideal world. It also just struck me that both of you are probably young and do not have very much experience on incident threads. So I forgive your ignorance/stupidity in this thread given that you are probably n00bs to this kind of thing. But seriously try to have a little more tact and not be so rabid to jump on an incident thread and start questioning the injured party about whether her spinal fracture was because of "stupidity" (yes one of you dbags said this is a possible cause).


Oh, 5...(that is your first name, right?) I won't make assumptions about you - I'll make an assessment based on your demonstrated ability to convey thoughts through the written medium.

Here's a free internet lesson for you, since you might be a "n00b" concerning the web. Just because you put those little fingers on the keys and words appear on the screen, doesn't necessarily mean that what you're typing holds any value and/or makes any sense. In fact, based on your performance so far, I'd say there's a high likelihood that anything you bang out falls into the "waste of our time" category.

Furthermore, you compound your appearance as foolish by quoting one person, and then addressing a different person.

Lastly, LOL.

Epilogue: Heal up fast Brittany!

FLAG
By Jon Powell
From LAWRENCEVILLE GEORGIA
Mar 4, 2014
stone depot
Yea Adam makes a habit of posting some pretty lame stuff. Go climb and stop being a tool

FLAG


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>