Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
surfing and wave sailing volume 2
   Page 1 of 9.  1  2  3  4  5   Next>   Last>>

Oct 21, 2012
rockerwaves

The original surfing and wave sailing thread has maxed out at 40 pages and 39000 visits. Enough interest has been expressed for keeping the thread alive so here goes the second volume.

I would greatly appreciate any valid input and comments from you guys.

I am going to start out with a little story that I wrote a while back describing a some what typical winter day here on the north shore of Maui

Photo: Olaf Mitchell
Photo: Olaf Mitchell

rockerwaves.blogspot.com/2011/08/another-great-day-at-beach.>>>

By Christian
From Casa do Cacete
Oct 22, 2012

Cool, 40 more pages!

Rough life out there in Maui lol

Oct 22, 2012
rockerwaves

Albee has no where to go!
Albee has no where to go!

By Heyun
From Charleston S.C.
Oct 23, 2012

Volume II .... right on Olaf

Seems we are going to have a late season hurricane off our coast later this week and a swell over the weekend. Only bad part is that all the dotcom swell sites are already calling it. I even had a non surfing friend talk to me about the "swell" coming on Saturday.

No such thing as suprise or secret swells anymore.... but there are still some secret spots. I wish my boat wasn't broke!

I'll be sure to get some pics. Forcast for Saturday.... South Florida should be going off.

from magicseaweed
from magicseaweed

Oct 23, 2012

Heyun wrote:
Volume II .... right on Olaf Seems we are going to have a late season hurricane off our coast later this week and a swell over the weekend.

Hay Heyun that computer model looks awesome and it sure looks like there will be plenty of waves along the entire eastern seaboard.
I hope you find a peaceful place to express your self without having to deal with a giant crowd.
We have what appears to be a good swell getting into our south and west sides this week.
I am not going to be able to go in that I just had some dental work done an the doc says that I have to take today off. I'm going to lay off the pain meds today so I am on my game for tomorrow.
Go get some waves Dude!

By Peter Stokes
From Them Thar Hills
Oct 23, 2012
Wall Street, Moab, UT

Psyched! Glad you decided to keep it going, Olaf- I haven't posted much, but I'm checking in fo sho!

By L.D.
From colorado
Oct 23, 2012
dog skiing

thanks for keeping it alive.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WiJ_53s9ouU
check out Shane Dorian's new wet suit

Oct 24, 2012
rockerwaves

Hi LD thanks for posting the video. I know that Shane is using the inflatable wet suit and I am positive that it has real life saving value but I really don't know who else is using one at this time. The need to recharge the unit after a single use make it inhibiting for a session with out back up support of a boat. A small price to pay for a life though.

Albee at Peahi 10/9/12
Albee at Peahi 10/9/12

Oct 24, 2012

Mitchi Schweiger at Peahi <br />Photo: Olaf Mitchell
Mitchi Schweiger at Peahi
Photo: Olaf Mitchell

I would like to edit this post and show a bunch more images that I shot of the wave sailing action at Jaws that day featuring Robbie Naish, Michi Schweiger,and Robbie Swift I think that Jason Polakaw is in a frame or two as well.

rockerwaves.blogspot.com/2011/01/jaws-12011.html

Oct 25, 2012

Jimbo
Jimbo

Oct 25, 2012

Olaf's Dream <br />original oil by Karen Lang
Olaf's Dream
original oil by Karen Lang

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
Oct 25, 2012
OTL

The South we had at the beginning of the month coincided with unusually warm weather and ended up being quite a few days of really fun surf.

A more recent and sad note, was that the surfer killed this week by a shark was known by a few friends and will be a loss to all that knew him. Survived by a wife and daughter - R.I.P.

latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/10/surfer-killed-in-shar>>>
latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/10/surfer-killed-in-shar>>>

statigr.am/p/309466055896788301_27329410

I haven't had the need to surf there since the last fatality 2 years ago and will possibly never again. Its always had 'the vibe' while out surfing there.

By Unassigned User
Oct 25, 2012

On a side note, winter swell is coming to Santa Barbara soon!

Oct 25, 2012
rockerwaves

"J Hazard>Surf Beach has never been worth it to surf. I agree with Matt, the vibe is just off there and now that there have been two major attacks I think I will steer clear. On a side note, winter swell is coming to Santa Barbara soon!"

Matt N and J Hazzard,
It's very sad to here about Francisco!
My heart goes out to his family and all his friends.

We have had two separate shark events in the past week here on the north shore of Maui. Fortunately no bodily injury to humans so far.

mauinow.com/2012/10/22/shark-attacks-sea-turtle-forcing-repe>>>

mauinews.com/page/content.detail/id/566092/Shark-attack-on-p>>>

Thanks for posting guys

By kirra
Oct 25, 2012

Aloha shout out! buffalo girlz checking'in~

Oct 25, 2012

kirra wrote:
Aloha shout out! buffalo girlz checking'in~ Olaf its good 2-know da'ocean is still there *sigh* mahalo for keeping this goin' We used to go Lahaina brah' 4 Halloween wuz a hoot many happy times, take care!!

WOW!!
Thanks for droppin' in kirra !
I hope to see ya back here on da rock again sometime soon.
Aloha, Olaf

By Mike Storeim
From Evergreen, CO
Oct 25, 2012

Thanks for keeping the thread alive, Olaf. I'm not a surfer but enjoy the photos and commentary. Saw a video of early October surfing at Jaws - pretty awesome stuff!

Oct 26, 2012

Photo: Olaf Mitchell
Photo: Olaf Mitchell

By Paul Hunnicutt
From Boulder, CO
Oct 26, 2012
Half Dome

Just had my first surf lesson today on Pacific Beach in San Diego! What an incredible morning!

Road some foam rolling in a few times then went out and caught three 2-4 footers. Nosedived on the first two, but managed to hold onto the drop the third time and rode it into shore. so psyched...was fully prepared not to get a wave my first day out. seemed very natural after a life of skateboarding, snowboarding, climbing (due to balance). felt like sort of like combining powder riding with dropping in on a half pipe or pool riding. I was on a a big foam board, which is supposedly easy to learn on, but I found it hard to turn the board...hence the nose dives.

can't wait to go again. if any MPers are in Pacific beach and want to swap a few hours of surfing tomorrow morning for climbing in Boulder, Colorado - PM me.

thanks to Olaf and this thread for inspiring me. just turned 37 last week...never to late.

photos are of my first few waves close to shore. my wife didn't get the "big" ones...which of course were double overhead full barrels ;)

one of my first of the day
one of my first of the day

still goin
still goin

Oct 26, 2012

Paul Hunnicutt wrote:
Just had my first surf lesson today on Pacific Beach in San Diego!

STOKED FOR YOU DUDE!

I just got out of the ocean myself and it was all time!
It was a bit crowded at first but thinned out after the first hour.
It was my buddy Marks birthday and in the end it was just the two of us dropping in on some sweet head and a half nuggets. I'm glad that I put on sunscreen because I stayed out way longer than I intended. No wet suit just board shorts and that all.
I'm glad that I got that session because the waves are supposed to peak at better than 20' and the trade winds are scheduled to pick up tomorrow so we will be wave sailing for the foretasted future.
GAME ON!!

Oct 26, 2012
rockerwaves

I'm Olaf and I approve of this message!
I'm Olaf and I approve of this message!

By Christian
From Casa do Cacete
Oct 27, 2012

By Heyun
From Charleston S.C.
Oct 27, 2012

This evening was a near epic session for these parts. Sandy is giving it up for us. Sets were big enough to keep the crowd down and not everyone who made it out, wanted them.... I sure did.

Check the buoy report from just off our coast... 17 feet at 11 seconds... lol lol lol ya ya ya...

North wind = offshore and was around 15 on the beach. Going again for a dawn patrol, will get some pics after...

Wind Direction (WDIR): N ( 360 deg true )
Wind Speed (WSPD): 35.0 kts
Wind Gust (GST): 44.7 kts
Wave Height (WVHT): 17.1 ft
Dominant Wave Period (DPD): 11 sec
Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 29.43 in
Pressure Tendency (PTDY): +0.02 in ( Rising )
Air Temperature (ATMP): 69.6 F
Water Temperature (WTMP): 75.2 F
Dew Point (DEWP): 61.7 F
Wind Speed at 10 meters (WSPD10M): 36.9 kts
Wind Speed at 20 meters (WSPD20M): 38.9 kts

Oct 29, 2012

It's been kinda big around here lately! <br />
It's been kinda big around here lately!

Oct 30, 2012