Sunday, March 16th Accident in Eldo?

By The Blueprint Part Dank
From FEMA Region VIII
Mar 17, 2014
Manning face

I was at Eldo yesterday, and saw an emergency rescue going down at the base of Calypso on the Wind Tower. Does anyone know what happened and if the climber involved is okay?

By Dave Hurst
From Boulder CO
Mar 17, 2014

Female with an ankle injury, bottom of Calypso, per BCSO.

By Mr. Stevens
From Boulder, CO
Mar 17, 2014

My buddy and I just got off Tagger and got to the base of wind ridge when everyone started showing up. From what I heard, she took a swing at the top of Calypso (she was following) and hit her ankle. She seemed fine.

By The Blueprint Part Dank
From FEMA Region VIII
Mar 17, 2014
Manning face

That's good news, I had assumed someone had spilled off the slabby start before the first piece. Interesting that it was an injury resulting from following. I'd a good lesson though, I oftentimes see leaders being too lax about protecting the second (not to imply that was necessarily the case here, just a general observation)

By Steve "Crusher" Bartlett
Mar 18, 2014

We arrived just as she got down to the base. Talked to her for a few minutes before RMR showed up. She said she was following, near the end of the pitch. She fell off but her foot (it was her right foot) stayed wedged in the crack as she fell. I guess this had to be at the top, more or less in reach of the final rail/break/ledge. My guess is she was trying to go up, not do the slabby step across rightwards. Since the belay's a few feet to the right, there's a swing involved, at least.

She was really unlucky; the swing by itself might scrape one up a bit, but to leave your foot behind .... OUCH!

Only injury seemed to be the right ankle, she was somewhat in shock and in pain and the ankle looked, well, not exactly wrong but not quite right.

RMR were spectacularly efficient and fast carrying her down to the road!

Hope she's OK. Anyone know how it turned out? Broken? Bad sprain?

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Mar 19, 2014
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.

Ouch! All I did was roll my gaddam ankle twice and it made me sort of nauseous and unable to stand straight for a minute. I hope she heals up quickly.

By rob.calm
From Loveland, Colorado
Mar 19, 2014
Mother #1 on the Nautilus at Vedauwoo. Rob is calm on this happy offwidth

The top of a Calypso is a classic for setting a directional to protect the second from swinging to the right. One finishes up a crack in a R facing corner to a ledge. Anchor bolts are a few feet to the right. Above the ledge is a small crack for the directional. From the information available, one canít infer whether a directional had been set. Setting it is standard procedure to protect a second, but even if it had been placed, it might not have prevented the injury. A foot stuck in a crack can get hurt just by falling a few inches to the side. Hope the climbers get a chance to comment on exactly what happened and that the injured party heals well and soon.

Rob.calm