Summer hiring from May to August in Alaska/Anchorage

By Bradly Brandt
Mar 28, 2014
I'll be heading to Alaska from May To August and I am looking to pick up seasonal work. My goals for the summer are:

Climb
Work
Have fun

Would anyone be able to point me in a certain direction? Anything I should check out? Know of any good seasonal jobs? Preferably in the Anchorage area and outdoors related but I am open to location and the type of work.

Thanks everyone!

By Jeff Young
From Palmer, AK
Mar 29, 2014
Might help to elaborate a little and indicate what type of work it is you're looking for. Fwiw, there isn't a ton of great climbing in close proximity to Anchorage, unless you're psyched on the Seward Highway.

I landed a seasonal gig with the AK State Parks last year doing trail work in and around Hatcher Pass (Palmer), which has some pretty stellar climbing. That being said I had some previous experience that helped to land that.

Good luck and enjoy your time in Alaska, it's an amazing place.

By Bradly Brandt
Mar 30, 2014
Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the response! What city do you think would be the most advantageous in terms of near by climbing? Also, I am a college student so my work experience isn't that vast but I do have retail and landscape experience as well as some internship experience with a local magazine. Working for a gear shop would be great, though. Anything come up?

Also, do you know anything about the climbing in Juneau? I was offered a job there.

Thanks!

By Taylor-B.
From CO & AK
Mar 30, 2014
Mountain Bandito

By Matt Collins
From Chico,CA
Mar 30, 2014
tuolumne meadows
Taylor-B. wrote:
Lynden Air Cargo in Anchorage hires package handlers and some of the shifts you travel to remote bush towns to unload the cargo. Descent pay with overtime and a chance to see some remote parts of Alaska. Many people frown at cannery work. But you can make the same amount of cash in a few weeks with all the overtime as you would working some other 9-5 job all summer. I always thought that it would be an adventure to at least have that type of experience. There are canneries in Seward and Valdez or you can always go out to Bristol Bay or Cordova.

Cannery work isn't glamorous but it definitely is an experience and you will meet some interesting people along the way. Also, check out cities along the cruise lines path for work. Ketchikan, Juneau, Haines. They are always hiring summer help, not necessarily in close proximity to stellar climbing, but work regardless. The air cargo suggestion is good. Also check out Grant Aviation if that interests you. You will see a different part of Alaska that way.

As far as climbing in Juneau, I know climbing exists there. IWLS does expeditions for the cruise lines there. The climbing they do is a small wall, but I'm sure you could find some more climbing in the area.

By Taylor-B.
From CO & AK
Mar 31, 2014
Mountain Bandito
Matt Collins wrote:

By Matt Collins
From Chico,CA
Mar 31, 2014
tuolumne meadows
Taylor-B. wrote:
The folks at IWLS have been developing a lot of crags (that are public) around Skagway and Whitepass that are actually composed of descent granite and there is some decent climbing around Whitehorse, YK. I've been super surprised at how well a lot of the crags at Hatcher Pass and Chickaloon have cleaned up in the last decade due to an increase in traffic.

Ah, Skagway! I knew it was one of those port towns. I hope to be able to get more time to climb up there this summer.

By Jeff Young
From Palmer, AK
Apr 4, 2014
Alaska jobs are easy to find

By Bradly Brandt
Apr 5, 2014
Thanks, guys!

I've had some interest from some gear shops and an outdoor center in Denali. I'll look into the cannery work as well.