Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Suggestions on where to climb Southern Utah for a new climber

By r3lamar
Feb 1, 2014

Friend and I are heading to St. George/Zion's to climb and hike for 5 days. We are semi new to the fun. We are hitting up Sand Dunes on Island in the Sky and Black wall/rock(?). Nothing more than a 5.10 or so at this point. Is there anywhere else we should go? Thanks in advanced.

By zoso
Feb 1, 2014

Dogwood.

By Garret Nuzzo-Jones
From Salt Lake City, UT
Feb 1, 2014
Cleaning up in Jenny Lake.

I would say Island in the Sky is gonna feel a little stiff compared to other St. George areas. Black Rock is great for getting a lot of different climbs in. On the other hand the routes are all short and fairly polished from lots of love.

I highly suggest you check out the Prophecy Wall (prophesy on MP). Lots of multipitch varnished sandstone routes. Pretty much all sport climbing there with nice bolted belays. The grades feel a little soft there so don't be too afraid to try something challenging. Gets afternoon sun.

By ClimbingUte
Feb 10, 2014

Just go climb and stop asking questions... Just kidding, I was the friend that joined r3lamar down there this last weekend and it was awesome! Thanks for all the advice guys.

By Mark Paulson
Feb 10, 2014

Second on Prophesy (sic). Great easy-moderate single and multipitch sport. Plus, it's BLM land so you can just camp at the base by the pipeline. If you're feeling good, don't miss Harbingers (11b, but more like 10c/d). Great exposure.

By ClimbingUte
Feb 10, 2014

We didn't make it out to prophesy this last time. We opted to hit blackrocks since we had been there already and had 4 other new guys with us. I keep getting feedback that prophesy is a great place to go. Definitely will make that the top priority for the next visit. Thanks for the info on the BLM land bit.

By tri-cameron
Feb 10, 2014

Kellys wall, black n tan and sunrise(?) all at the woodbury road crags.
Good variety, well bolted and even some top roping.

By Trevor.
Feb 10, 2014
Me on Pabst Smear. Chris took this pic from East Carbody.

If you wind up going to Island in the Sky at Snow Canyon, do Pigmy Alien, that wa one of the best 5.7s(more like 5.8) I've ever done

By ddriver
From SLC
Feb 11, 2014

last weekend and it was awesome

dogwood