Stretching the toe box

Apr 21, 2012
Profile picture from Mt. Rainier park
Hey guys - I've got a relatively new pair of solutions that I've been climbing in for about a month or more now. My smaller toes are just not happy right now. They are breaking in a bit, but I'm thinking about stretching the toe box by freezing some water in there. Any words of wisdom on this? Johnny Duke
From Fayetteville, WV
Joined Jan 18, 2012
15 points
Apr 21, 2012
buy shoes that fit S Denny
From Aspen, CO
Joined Sep 25, 2008
24 points
Apr 21, 2012
Profile picture from Mt. Rainier park
S Denny wrote:
buy shoes that fit

Fantastic Denny. Thanks for your insight.
Johnny Duke
From Fayetteville, WV
Joined Jan 18, 2012
15 points
Apr 21, 2012
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
I left a similar message on another link about small shoes. I used those 'shoe trees', those spring lever stretchers that I put in the shoes to add length. It solved small width problems too. I soaked the shoes in water then stretched them for days and dried them out slowly. Added about a cm length to shoes or more. Give it a try. Woodchuck ATC
Joined Nov 29, 2007
3,091 points
Apr 21, 2012
Profile picture from Mt. Rainier park
Woodchuck ATC wrote:

Cool man I'll look into that. I like how they fit everywhere except for my last three toes, so I'm worried that stretching the entire shoe will end up adding unwanted air pockets.I'd like to see if I can stretch the toe box from the sole to the rubber toe cover. We'll see.
Johnny Duke
From Fayetteville, WV
Joined Jan 18, 2012
15 points
Apr 21, 2012
Bocan
Johnny Duke wrote:
I like how they fit everywhere except for my last three toes

I know that's not exactly a constructive comment, but S Denny has a +1 point.
Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Joined Feb 15, 2006
927 points
Apr 21, 2012
Profile picture from Mt. Rainier park
Scott McMahon wrote:
Haha well I don't know how many toes you have, but if 3 out of 5 toes don't fit, well then the shoes don't fit. I know that's not exactly a constructive comment, but S Denny has a +1 point.

Oh no, you might be right. But I want them to fit so badly.
Johnny Duke
From Fayetteville, WV
Joined Jan 18, 2012
15 points
Apr 21, 2012
Wichita Mountains, Sunshine Wall
If you bought them at REI you can take advantage of them by retuning them for the right size or another pair. Make sure you post on MP that you did this so another bashing thread can get started! ha roger fritz from rockford, IL
From Rockford, IL
Joined Aug 9, 2009
51 points
Apr 21, 2012
I have had good results stretching my shoes out on the boot-stretching bars in the shop I where I work. I did not need to soak or heat the shoes, just applied lots of pressure. You should be able to find such a bar at any decent boot shop or a cobbler, perhaps? Best of luck. Xan Calonne
From Pasadena, Ca
Joined Mar 25, 2010
19 points
Apr 22, 2012
Profile picture from Mt. Rainier park
Xan Calonne wrote:

Good deal. I'll give that a shot if they don't break in just climbing on them. Thanks for the responses.
Johnny Duke
From Fayetteville, WV
Joined Jan 18, 2012
15 points
Apr 22, 2012
Bocan
Johnny Duke wrote:
Oh no, you might be right. But I want them to fit so badly.

I hear ya...I have at least 2 pairs like that and I almost got sucked into buying the Katanas even though I wasn't super happy with the fit. And I still might try to Katanas again. :o)
Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Joined Feb 15, 2006
927 points
Oct 23, 2012
Looking for an update, how did the solutions end? are they snuggy foot gloves now? Tarnelope
Joined Oct 23, 2012
41 points
Oct 25, 2012
omg
Just buy another pair, keep one shoe for your smaller foot and put the other shoe on your larger foot. That's what I did. Granted, it's like $300 worth of shoes, but you can't dial this shit in any better than that. Well, unless you stretch them out, but I'm impatient. ChristopherAust
From Ohio
Joined Jul 28, 2012
68 points
Oct 25, 2012
Myself placing a a blue/yellow offset MC to protec...
there is a product designed to stretch shoe leather such as this...amazon.com/FootFitter-Shoe-Str...

never used it on climbing shoes, but helped a bit on dress shoes
rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Joined Dec 20, 2009
253 points
Oct 25, 2012
dream canyon fun!
park yer car on those toe boxes... works well. to climb Sacred Cow i put the toe box of my shoes in a vice that was on the back of my partners work truck .. an i sent the rig with sharp toe work thanks to the smash work the night befor .... or buy shoes that fit ? Devin Fin
From DURANGO
Joined Jan 14, 2010
3,256 points

Beyond the Guidebook:
The Definitive Climbing Resource
Inspiration & Motivation
to Fuel Your Run
Next Generation Mountain
Bike Trail Maps
Backcountry, Sidecountry
& Secret Stashes
Better Data. Better Tools.
Better Hikes!