Strange denizens of the gym/crag
   Page 1 of 3.  1  2  3   Next>   Last>>

By Brassmonkey
Jan 15, 2014
Brass monkey
On another sport specific forum I frequent there is a thread called strange denizens of the pool. It is flipping hilarious. The stories of what people do and how they act are ridiculous and extremely entertaining.

Got me to thinking after I saw yet another shit show at the gym tonight that we could probably get the same going on here.

I stealthily took a pic of the belayer in this pic. Everything looks normal right? Well it is for the most part, until you notice she has a pack clipped to her harness on a runner. Why you may ask? Well, initially she was wearing it while belaying him because "he lifts me off the ground when he falls so I need the extra weight". When he would take she laid on her back with the pack on. Someone suggested that wasn't the greatest idea so apparently the next best idea was to simply clip it to her harness. It didn't do shit when he fell, in case you were wondering.

Pic deleted :(

Bring on the stories!

(Hopefully there isn't a thread already like this, I searched and couldnt find one)

By BoulderCharles
Jan 15, 2014
Darn...how do I NOT have a good photo of John for this?

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Jan 15, 2014
edit: thought better of it and deleted.

By Nielsonru
Jan 16, 2014
I only take my trad gear to the gym, that way it can stay shiny and scratch-free.

It's kind of endearing. Reminds me of trying to wear my dad's work clothes and pretend to use his tools when I was 5.

Was he fake clipping the cams I see there?

By Cultivating Mass
Jan 16, 2014
Leading on the only "fair means" rack.
I get the point of the thread, but just for perspective, you guys are making fun of people you're taking pictures of while standing around at the gym.

That is the kind of thing I make fun of. Continue with the chlorophyll.

By chuck claude
From Flagstaff, Az
Jan 16, 2014
First climb after knee surgery
Good thing the guy in JohnWilders photo has a helmet on... Never know when those holds will just fall off

By Curt Chesney
From Boulder, CO
Italic Text
John Wilder wrote:
Found this guy in the gym running laps on the autobelays stopping every few moves to take his gear off, move it around, fake clip the rope, then climb some more. More cowbells = more fun!

Looks like homeboys harness is saggin too. I know I like to be gangsta when climbing trad at the gym.

By Miike
From MA/CT border
my foot
I'd bet that guy with the gear in the gym spends a lot of time discussing his gear. He keeps it on the wall in his apartment somewhere, probably next to his bed.

My favorite is always the beta sprayer, always a dude, always knows every single hold on every climb, even the ones he cant do. You hear him spraying down someone and soooo want to club him over the head with a big stick.

By Brassmonkey
Brass monkey
Vagidiot get a sense of humor! Newsflash: some people do stupid things that look funny and make you laugh. I'm sure I've been that person before and will be in the future. Learn how to laugh at yourself and maybe you wont be so offended ;)

By Abram Herman
From Golden, CO
Jan 16, 2014
Viking helmet cover, yep.
The guy I saw in the gym the other day climbing a 5.8 on toprope, with a GoPro strapped to his head.

By wivanoff
High Exposure
Brassmonkey wrote:

I've never seen this, but I've heard that some gyms use a 5 gal bucket of concrete, a weightlifting plate or even a sandbag as a portable floor anchor instead of the permanent recessed floor anchors. If her pack was heavy enough, why wouldn't it work for her?

By Miike
From MA/CT border
my foot
Brassmonkey wrote:
Vagiodiot get a sense of humor! Newsflash: some people do stupid things that look funny and make you laugh. I'm sure I've been that person before and will be in the future. Learn how to laugh at yourself and maybe you wont be so offended ;)

too cool for school, hot babes all day mang.

Another favorite of mine is the climber who has belay cards from about ten different gyms on their gear loop while at the crag.

By JohnnyG
Jan 16, 2014
Brassmonkey - can you link us up to that "denizens of the pool" thread? I can always use a good laugh.

By Kedron Silsbee
From Princeton, NJ
Jan 16, 2014
OK, I'm the climber being belayed in the first picture - care to enlighten me as to your objection to the pack? As stated upthread, it's hardly a novel idea.

By Avi Katz
Jan 16, 2014
I've never seen any gyms with portable ground anchors. The gyms that I see with ground anchors usually have a daisy chain coming out of the ground to clip to.

From what I understand ground anchors are more of a liability safeguard coming down from the legal side than anything else.

All the gyms I've been to have at least one additional wrap of rope around their anchor bars to increase friction. This makes it easy for small belayers to maintain control of larger climbers.

Out of curiosity- was this on a lead climb?

How is the climber managing to generate forces high enough to need this?

By Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Jan 16, 2014
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after...
Kedron Silsbee wrote:

You're right. It isn't a novel idea. I don't think anyone is objecting, but the point is probably that it was just a pack with no substantial weight? So if she was just tethered to a pack with nothing in it, it's kind of funny, and you would be a Strange denizen. "It didn't do shit when he fell, in case you were wondering"

By Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
At the BRC
I like a good laugh as much as anybody.

But surreptitiously photographing other climbers at the gym, posting the pics online and making fun of them behind their backs strikes me as pathetic and mean.

Brassmonkey wrote:

If you have such a great sense of humor, let's see those pictures of your cute antics.

By Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Jan 16, 2014
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after...
All the little strongboys on my local gym's coached climbing team protested the "must wear shirt" rule by wearing sports bras. It was kind of funny. The coaches and staff didn't think so, but we all got a chuckle from it. And I say good for them for being able to be laughed at and being creative and proactive in trying to change a policy. Nothing changed by the way, and they got a little talking-to but that was it. It was just a fun exercise in protesting.

Mark, I agree, but sometimes things are a bit over the top. I saw a guy in my gym smoking an E cigarette while climbing. Not kidding. I think that in some cases, people ask for it. Kind of like the "People of Walmart" people. The problem lies in that everyone's perception of what is "ok" to make fun of is different, so where do you draw the line? Clearly, the 350lb trannie in Walmart line is distinct. In a rock gym, not so much.

I wouldn't wear cams and a helmet on an auto belay, and I probably would laugh a bit if I saw it in person, but I wouldn't post it and denigrate the guy in public. But I can see why someone did. If I'm willing to laugh at it, and if that's my first response, then I can hardly pass judgement on someone that did the same thing, but just a little worse. Maybe you didn't laugh and your first response was that posting it was a dick move. If that's the case, good on you man. I'm a bit of a dickhole I guess.

By Glenn Schuler
From Monument, Co.
Jan 16, 2014
A grey fox skull wedged in a crack 100' up on a FA...
I predict this will turn into an Alf thread shortly...

By Kedron Silsbee
From Princeton, NJ
Jan 16, 2014
It had 25 lbs in it, and it lifted off the ground but she was not lifted to the first bolt. I don't see how one can say "it didn't do shit" without knowing what would have happened without it. Maybe I'm being unreasonably defensive and I'd be happy to laugh if it were someone else, but I don't think this is a particularly tasteful post.

By Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Jan 16, 2014
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after...
Glenn Schuler wrote:
I predict this will turn into an Alf thread shortly...

Don't laugh at Alf. He packs heat.

By NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Jan 16, 2014
If you want a laugh search. "best gaper quotes" over on TGR. This thread theorticaly could get to that level but I highly doubt it.

By Brassmonkey
Brass monkey
Kedron, I made sure it was a nameless and faceless pic. Its not a novel idea as they said, but is was funny to see her laying down with a pack on her back while belaying. Then when she was tethered to it it clearly didn't weigh too much and was just funny to see it getting pulled around swinging a bit and what not. I promise you it was not with cruel intentions and was meant to kind of get people posting funny things they saw, not cruel things about people.

Mark I teach high school in the inner city, I would get eaten alive by the students here if I didn't have a good sense of humor about myself! If you snag a pic of me that's funny I'd be the first to say post it up, I don't care. But you have to get one first.

By Brassmonkey
Brass monkey
forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slo...

There are 59 pages though, lots to read unfortunately. Some are gems, talking about old guys using hair dryers to dry their balls in the locker room with a leg up on a bench or people swimming with very noticeable, um, erections in their speedos. Some only regular swimmers might get I guess though so it might not be as funny to non-swimmers.

By MorganH
chuck claude wrote:

I actually almost got beaned by a huge jug that snapped at the Seattle VW the other day. I was kind of wishing that I had a helmet on after that.

By Brassmonkey
Brass monkey
Fair enough, the world has gotten real sensitive, stories only, pics if you dare!

Page 1 of 3.  1  2  3   Next>   Last>>