Stolen Gear in Chattanooga

By Jonathan Petsch
From Chattanooga, TN
Aug 20, 2013

Hey guys,

My pack with all of my gear was stolen out of my car last night. Triple set of cams (mostly C4s), 25 quickdraws, multiple pairs of shoes, harnesses, etc, etc, etc. It was a LOT of stuff. Most of it was taped with yellow electrical tape. It was all in a blue Metolius haul bag. If anyone sees a lot of gear for sale anywhere, let me know.

By Blake Cash
Aug 21, 2013

Which part of town?

By Brad "Stonyman" Killough
From Alabama
Aug 21, 2013
Knife Crack

Thats bad. Hope you find it soon.

By Jonathan Petsch
From Chattanooga, TN
Aug 21, 2013

Blake- That's the worst part. In front of my house downtown on the southside. They also took some power tools and other stuff, smashed the window.

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Aug 21, 2013

Ouch! Tough way to learn a lesson about leaving valuables in your car. Hope you get it back.

By Woodchuck ATC
Aug 21, 2013
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

The amount of stolen gear is getting to be really out of control! We almost need a separate heading here for 'stolen gear' at MP. I always fear my car will be raided when I lock up the stuff to go take a swim on a hot day. But in front of your house? That ultimately sucks,,really bad. Gotta leave a sign in car saying 'this stuff is worthless to you cash-wise'...and leave a 10 dollar bill on the dashboard instead. Best of luck!

By Blake Cash
Aug 21, 2013

Man, sadly, car and house break-ins are pretty common around Chatty it seems. My gear always comes inside since I moved here a few years ago...every other place I lived it could live in my truck with the windows down and nothing would get touched!

Keep a watch on craigslist and maybe compile a detailed list of your gear that was stolen and post it up here and give it to local pawn shops as well.

Good luck

By BHMBen
From The Deeper South
Aug 22, 2013
Post climb snack... <br /> <br />Photo is of Strappo Hughes, taken in the Yosemite Lodge parking lot in 1982 by Russ Walling.

Chattanooga is a nice town and I've always enjoyed my time there but it is clearly plagued by tweaker problems.
I never leave anything in my vehicle, in plain sight, anywhere in town.
Hope you get your stuff back.

By CraigS.
Aug 23, 2013

Doesn't just happen in Chattanooga. It can and does happen anywhere. Just gotta be smarter than the tweakers.

Thieves Everywhere

Not that this justifies them. In a perfect world we shouldn't have to worry, but we do. I'll keep my eyes open and I hope you get your stuff back. BTW, take a look around to see if they tossed your bag anywhere once they figured out that it was climbing equipment and not stuff you can easily sell for quick cash.

By Jonathan Petsch
From Chattanooga, TN
Sep 11, 2013

Had a buddy get his pack stolen the other day too, had about 20 draws, multiple harnesses and shoes, etc.

However, I have a success story. I claimed my gear on insurance, they cut me a FAT check. I now have brand new everything. SO MUCH SHINY GEAR. I'm not complaining about stolen gear, actually it worked out really well for me.

By MRock
Sep 11, 2013
Split shin after 5.9+ R lead

+1 for insurance. My gear, bikes, skis, etc. are covered anywhere in the world from theft. They reimburse for full retail of new gear and only 15$ a month. Worth it living in a city.

By Jeff Thilking
From Knoxville, TN
Sep 11, 2013
Rap

MRock, who do you get that insurance through? Sounds like a no-brainer.

By Brad "Stonyman" Killough
From Alabama
Sep 12, 2013
Knife Crack

TI know how it feels, had some hangers stolen at Yellow Bluff. But the word is out and thieves beware!

By wankel7
From Indiana
Sep 16, 2013

Jeff Thilking wrote:
Shitty. We have had a lot of car break-ins up here in Knoxville too.. Sadly the tweakers and street urchins are getting more desperate. I stopped at a sketch gas station to get some drinks and actually took my pack in with me recently. I'll keep an eye on Knoxville Craig's list for anything suspicious. Good luck. MRock, who do you get that insurance through? Sounds like a no-brainer.

Renters insurance is offered through a bunch of places and is really cheap. Normally the deductibles are super low too.

By climbinbob
Sep 19, 2013

It seems that I hear about alot of stuff being stolen at T-Wall, and the Chattanooga area. I would think that with the excessive amount of car break-ins that the police would want to create more of a presence in those areas. I have heard that it is wise to leave no valuables in your car, and to leave it unlocked to prevent broken windows. There's alot of meth in that area, so, hopefully, the cops will wake up. I think they should go in these areas undercover, observe the break-in, and then follow them to their hideout. I am willing to bet that it is mostly the same people committing most of these crimes. I will keep my eyes open for your gear, and I am really sorry about your loss. Bad karma for the thieves-may they rot in HELL!!

By Seth Derr
From harrisburg, pa
Sep 19, 2013
Hey there!

Thank god the theives here are stupid. Last week some dick broke into my house while i was sleeping, stole my (broken) cell phone from 6 inches above my head, took my (empty) wallet from about one foot from my stomach, and never even took a second look at the two thousand dollars worth of climbing gear conveniently bagged up right beside the front door. Did manage to use my check card for a couple hundred bucks at an all night grocery store but the bank is reimbursing that. Scumbags. hope you get your stuff back dude.

Edit: Just saw you had insurance. Excellent.