Sterling Evo Velocity 9.8 or Edelweiss Curve ARC 9.8

By kurt gregory
From Reading, PA
May 16, 2013
So as the title says, I am comparing the 2 and want to get everyones thoughts. I can get both for the same price right now and these are very comparable. I do primarily Sport with some TR so I need a 9.6mm to a 10mm. I am upgrading from my begginer Sterling Kosmos rope. Im looking for a smooth good feel and less kinking if possible. They both weigh the same from what Ive seen but lighter weight would be preferable if there is a better rope choice out there. I like the Velocity for having a dry core treatment (not dry coating). But I like the Bi-pattern on the Curve. But at the end of the day its all about performance. What is everyones thoughts? Thanks ahead of time for your input!

By superkick
From West Hartford, CT
May 16, 2013
Free Solo up hitchcock gully WI3
go with a bluewater 9.7 doubledry lighning pro.

By Kyro
May 16, 2013
I have a velocity as well as a few of my climbing partners. I have noticed that they do kink up quite a bit. Which is annoying. But they have all proven to be very durable so that's a plus

By Nick Sullens
From Yosemite/ Weed
May 16, 2013
I have a edelweiss flash 9.5 and I would say the durability is terrible. I have coreshot mine 3 times in the y
three months I have owned it. Not sure if it would be different with the 9.8 but I would expect similar results. I also have a sterling fusion 9.2 which lasted quite a bit longer than my edelweiss.

By CalStaben
From Lexington, KY
May 16, 2013
Neither. Get a 70m 9.6 Mammut Climax.

By Brendan Blanchard
From Strafford, NH
May 16, 2013
Obi Wan Ryobi - Darth Vader Crag, Rumney NH
Loving my 70m Velocity, had it since winter and it's seen 20 or so pitches between sport and trad. No signs of wear, handles well, kinks sometimes, but I've ironed that out after a few full length rappels.

By Mal H.
May 16, 2013
Loving my 60m Velocity. It's not always 100% kink free, but it doesn't kink enough to bother me at all.

By GhaMby
From Heaven
May 16, 2013
Have you seen the 9.8 tendon on the clymb??? $143 w/shipping!

I have heard great things about tendon ropes.

I typically buy sterling velocities though.

By kurt gregory
From Reading, PA
May 17, 2013
Thanks for all the feedback guys! keeping coming if anyone has anymore

By divnamite
From New York, NY
May 17, 2013
All my Sterling ropes tend to kink a little more than others. I still like them because their durablility, even though other people have complained. I still buy Sterling ropes. Mammut makes great ropes and price about the same with Sterling. Beal makes great ropes too.

By Josh Kornish
From Missoula, MT
May 17, 2013
Humboldt Bouldering
I've had both ropes and they both have lasted hundreds of pitches and are still going strong.

The Edelweiss is started to get pretty wirey but nothing bad.

I'd say go with the better price

By Will S
From Joshua Tree
May 17, 2013
I own that Edelweiss, and have partners with a bunch of those Sterline evos. I'd take the Curve ARC over the Sterling.

Unless you are mountaineering or ice climbing, dry treatment isn't really worth paying for IMO.

By Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
May 17, 2013
...
^^^
Ditto

By 303scott
May 17, 2013
I have had two of the edelweiss Curve ARCs. They both handled nicely and give a nice soft catch. Love the bi-pattern and won't buy anything else now.

No problems with the first one, but the second one got loaded over an edge and the sheath got a little torn up. Still usable, but more damage than I would have expected. However, it is possible that would have happened with any rope, so I can't knock it for that. Other than that, after a year of climbing on it at least 2Xs per week it is in fine shape.

By doligo
May 17, 2013
Jose Cuervo Fruitcups dirtbag style
If you do a lot of TR, I wouldn't get Curve - have you checked dynamic elongation on it? Almost 40%! I would only get that rope if I was climbing a lot of overhanging sport with clean falls and would always stick-clip the second bolt.

By Will S
From Joshua Tree
May 17, 2013
^^^
Actually, 37%, compared to ~25% on the Sterlings. Which equals a much softer catch.

While I understand your concerns with excess stretch, I think they are misplaced here. With a first bolt at 10', if you fell from 5' above the bolt, the difference in stretch between the two (with 15' of rope out) is almost negligible...about a foot and a half. I'd trade the softer catch (which will be much more noticeable on falls without much rope out), every time. And if it's close enough to worry about, stick clip the 2nd.

That's for leading. When TRing, again IME it isn't an issue because if you have ANY concern with keeping the climber off the ground (e.g. low, overhanging crux), you should be pre-loading the rope before they start climbing to remove most of the stretch anyway. (We commonly do this here in JT on the route Clean and Jerk, where the crux is the first few moves off the deck and even with high impact/low elongation ropes like Maxims, you will still deck on TR if you don't pre-load the rope).

By kurt gregory
From Reading, PA
May 20, 2013
thanks for all the input everyone! I went with the sterling velocity. im excited to get out and climb with it.