Squamish during the music festival?

By kerwinl
Jul 31, 2014
Any advice for people looking to climb in squamish during (not attending) the music festival? Looks like big crowds clustered north of town. Any local knowledge from last year? I will stay away if it sounds like to much of a shit show.

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Jul 31, 2014
I was there last year during the fest, don't remember it being an issue at all.

By Ashort
Aug 1, 2014
I went up there last year before checking on events occurring. In town it was definitely more crowded than usual, but the crags were a typical summer weekend. No real issues with climbing.

We didn't have any trouble camping, but we were camped up at the chek.

The major issue was driving back south on Sunday evening. I think it took us about an hour to drive from town to murrin park. We heard the backup was all the way to Vancouver. We opted to stay at murrin park and climb till around 8-9pm, no traffic issues then.

By Benjamin Chapman
From Small Town, USA
Aug 4, 2014
old 1/4" bolt.
We were there through the Climber's Festival, the Music Festival, and the Wind Festival. No problems. Do watch for the DUI/Sobriety checkpoints on Hwy 99, between Squamish and Vancouver, though.

By Alex Ratson
From Squamish, British Columbia
Aug 4, 2014
Never been a problem for actually climbing although traffic, going to town, going for food/coffee... That will be I pain in the ass! To top things off, this year the capacity of the event is double last year making the capacity this year 30,000 as someone who lives here I can't wait for it to be behind us.

By Bill Kirby
From Baltimore Maryland
Aug 4, 2014
Me eating a cliff bar walking back from Frankenstein Amphitheater
Was in Whistler last year during and no problems there or Squamish.

By kerwinl
Aug 5, 2014
Sounds like climbing will be fine, but might want to bring a bike for traveling to town for supplies. Thanks for all the info gents!

By shoo
Aug 5, 2014
Rock wars, Red River Gorge
Was there last year, can confirm the above. The climbing is almost totally unaffected (except access to some roads and parking lots), but the traffic can be insane. Finding camping might also be an issue.