Sport climbing destination in Arizona for February

By Peter Song
From Richmond Hill, Ontario
Nov 27, 2012

Hi,

I'll be visiting Arizona (fly to Phoenix) near the end of February next year.
I just started looking at different areas but if you can pick 2 sport climbing destinations (~3 days each?) for February in Arizona, where would it be?
(I'm mostly looking to climb around 5.10a~5.11b)
(it's still pretty far away but will be looking for climbing partners~ if you're interested, let me know~~)

Peter.

By JCM
From Henderson, NV
Nov 27, 2012

Will you have 4WD, or just a basic rental car? This will make a difference as to where you can go (Homestead, in particular)

By Peter Song
From Richmond Hill, Ontario
Nov 27, 2012

Hi Jon,

I'm not sure yet, other than the flight, nothing is set so...
I had a brief look, Homestead and Mt.Lemmon look great~!
but 4WD rental might be pretty expensive... any way of walking in the dirt road or do many people climb at Homestead? (where I can tag along as third or forth and split the gas)

By JD Kendall
From Winslow, AZ
Nov 27, 2012

Jacks Canyon...
Don't need 4WD...generally others to climb with... over 200 great sport routes.

By CarFar
From Flagstaff, AZ
Nov 29, 2012

Cochise Stronghold. It's a drive from Phoenix, but it is well worth it. Some areas of single pitch cragging and more multi-pitch climbs than you can throw a biner at (there's lot of trad but also some sport gems). I did Peacemaker last year and it was one of the best multi-pitches I've done!

Also, if you're by Phoenix, Queen Creek is a good sport area to check out.

By Steven Groetken
From Durango, CO
Dec 1, 2012
On top of Hitchcock Pinnacle.

If you're looking for shear volume of sport routes close together, Mt Lemmon is probably your best bet. There's close to 1000 sport routes all accessed from the Catalina highway, most in the 10 and up grade. Good views, good weather, but in February you'd want to stay in the lower elevations (hairpin, Molino basin, windy point will be ok on a sunny day).

By Colonel Mustard
From Reno, NV
Dec 1, 2012
Colonel Mustard

Isolation Canyon is pretty sweet, close to Phoenix and has a guidebook available through the user "manuel rangel" here on the site who did a lot (the bulk?) of the development there. Tons of sport routes in a cool locale. Multi-pitch sport is available, and grades are distributed pretty well across the spectrum.

You could hit Iso and then mosey further on up the Hwy to Jacks, that would give you a nice trip, no 4wd necessary. Have fun!

By Joe Kreidel
From Tucson, AZ
Dec 1, 2012

Mt. Lemmon would definitely be a good option for that time of year and grade range. There a ton of great 10's and 11's at areas like Windy Point, MIlagrosa, Sun Spots, etc. Finding partners shouldn't be too tough, either.

By Peter Song
From Richmond Hill, Ontario
Dec 3, 2012

Thanks for all the reponses~ will take a look at all the locations.

Already getting excited even though the trip is 2 1/2 months away...

By Catherine Conner
From Phoenix, AZ
Dec 3, 2012
Contemplative-what is ahead?

The Refuge.

By Peter Song
From Richmond Hill, Ontario
Dec 4, 2012

For Mt. Lemmon, is there "climbers' campground" that I should go to if I wanted to find partners there~?

By Colonel Mustard
From Reno, NV
Dec 4, 2012
Colonel Mustard

Peter Song wrote:

Nope.

Jacks Canyon is much closer to that, but AZ climbing areas don't really work that way. You'd be better served hooking up partners in advance. You could try squeezing in with parties, of course, I just personally never saw too much evidence of a Yosemite-like partner swap going down near the crags.

I camped up on Lemmon once, it was pay camping, so you'd best look for free camping too. If you pay for camping in AZ, you lost, there is so much cool, free camping there, that is the only time I ever paid for it in three years living there.

By JD Kendall
From Winslow, AZ
Dec 4, 2012

Shoot me a message when you firm up dates... if you want to come to Jacks I am generally up for the 20 min drive there from my house as long as it fits my work schedule.

By eMurdock
From Tucson, Arizona
Dec 4, 2012

There is a lot of free camping on Lemmon, but it is mostly higher than than Windy Point (~7,000') and will be chilly. If you don't mind cold nights, there are several really great spots.
The best place to hook up with climbers for Mt. Lemmon is LeBuzz between 8 and 930am. You should have no problem finding someone that way or through MP. You could also just head up Milagrosa or to Prison Camp on a weekend... I wouldn't worry about finding partners or free camping if you opt to climb at Lemmon.

By Peter Song
From Richmond Hill, Ontario
Dec 4, 2012

Thanks for all the info~
so many places, not enough time~...

free camping sounds good~ will have to bring my camping gear down there.

Yep, will definitely msg. (I'll probably post another message here looking for partners near the end of Jan)

By kirra
Dec 4, 2012

sometimes the journey is as good (or better) than the destination :)

may I suggest to R/T through Sedona / Tucson loop. Starting point could be persuaded by Feb. weather. Sedona can be a very nice place 2visit/climb or take a restday overnight -head north to Flagstaff or east 2 Jack's Cyn or south through Phx then East to Mt.Lemmon, Cochise or the Homestead & Q.Creek area's etc.

free camp on S.side Sedona -outside town

watch for snakes on warm sunny days, great trip have fun!

By Peter Song
From Richmond Hill, Ontario
Dec 5, 2012

Thanks for the suggestion kirra~

I'm indeed thinking of something similiar. (a loop going to some combination of Jacks Canyon, Homestead, Q.Creek, Mt.Lemmon)

By Bane
From Flagstaff AZ
Dec 5, 2012

Shoot me a message when you get into town. I'm always up for climbing on The Lemmon

By Joe Cayer
From Mesa, Az
Dec 8, 2012
Torchraker!!

Peter,
When in Feb. are you planning your trip and what kind of schedule will you have? I'm planning an ice climbing trip around the 15th, but will be back in town the following week. I live about 30 minutes from Queen Creek and have a sporadic schedule. May be able to hook up with you if you're looking for a partner. Also, if you want check out www.meetup.com/Southwest-Climbing-and-Bouldering/. You may be able to hook up with some other locals.

Joe
azrockdawg@msn.com

By Peter Song
From Richmond Hill, Ontario
Dec 10, 2012

JacksonBain: Yep, will do in Feb~

Joe Cayer: I'll be there on the week of Feb.18th. No schedule yet, have 7 days available to climb~ Thanks for the link. I'll contact you in Feb as well~

By JoshP
From Nashville, TN
Dec 12, 2012

Hey Peter,
I'm thinking about planning a trip to Arizona in February as well. I don't have a partner going with me and I'm looking to sport climb as well. Sounds like we have a similar situation. Are you planning on camping or staying in hostels?

-Josh

By Peter Song
From Richmond Hill, Ontario
Dec 12, 2012

Hucklebuck: my flight is set so my dates are set: Feb.17 night ~ 25 early morning
Other than the date, I'm open to anything~
I'm not sure yet, depends on which crags I go to. Probably some mixture of camping/motels? if our dates match and want to go to similiar crags, I'm definitely interested, let me know~

By JoshP
From Nashville, TN
Dec 13, 2012

Sounds good Peter. I won't be able to set anything in stone until after Christmas, but I will keep you posted.

By JoshP
From Nashville, TN
Dec 28, 2012

Hey Peter,
Unfortunately our dates dont line up. I'll be there from Feb 27 - Mar 6. Good luck finding partners and have a great trip!

-Josh