southern NY mid-week partners for 10b-11a

By kenr
May 11, 2014

I'm looking for a people who can get free on a mid-week day -- mainly to work on things in the 10b-11a range. I also like good climbing at other difficulty levels, or some bouldering.

Tuesday this week would be good for me (if the weather would cooperate?), or possibly Thursday.

My main strategy for working at this difficulty level is clever + safe ways of "cheating" -- but if you want to Lead some at this level that's good too.

Obvious places are Gunks, Powerlinez, West Point. I also know others to try ... including some interesting east Pennsylvania places (other than DWG) with different rock within driving daytrip range.
. . . Sometimes I drive farther for (mid-week) overnight trips (Rumney, Dacks, NRG)

I have all ropes, all Trad + Sport protection, and lots of "cheating" equipment.

I have a car and could give (or share) a ride with NYC or north NJ climber.

Send me a message (including your phone) thru this Forum, or use
this contact info

Ken

By kenr
Jun 5, 2014

Monday or Tuesday June 9-10 looking promising.
I'm thinking Gunks if good weather all day, Powerlinez or West Point if much less than a full day, indoors if rainy.

I've had rather good luck meeting partners who send me messages for this thread on MountainProject.
First day a couple of weeks did some Trapps 10b's and 9 with Connor + Taylor.
A week later Nears with Chalu: Fat City Direct 10d and Transcon 10b.
Yesterday since Pete was visiting from out west, we did the tourist thing ... He wanted to plunge into Gunks on-sight leads, so I gave him my trad rack, and Pete led us up Son of Easy O and Modern Times.

If you might want to join, send me a message including your phone#, or use the contact info linked in the first post on this thread.

Ken

By kenr
Jun 14, 2014

Monday June 16 planning to get out -- forecast seems kind of hot for me. So I'm thinking to start early morning, finish by early afternoon.
Undecided between Powerlinez (has a couple of shady cliffs) and Gunks.
Might bring a couple of crash pads for bouldering.

Send me a message (including your phone) thru this Forum, or use
this contact info

Ken

By Ben Vining
From Philadelphia
Jun 15, 2014
Mt Arapalies VIC Australia

Hi Ken

I am going to be at the Gunks on Tuesday. I'm hoping to do something easy, I'm thinking Beginners Delight or Horseman or High Exposure. Are you free Tuesday and interested in something around that grade? I have never climbed at The Trapps, but did a couple of days at Peterskill a few weeks ago.

Ben

By kenr
Jun 15, 2014

Not climbing on Tuesday.
There's a different thread for climbing at easier difficulty where sometimes I post for when Sharon and I are looking for others to join us. Maybe you'll get other responses if you post to that one.

(but lately Sharon's been wanting to push herself to struggle on 7s and 8s, and has been finding the rock at Powerlinez very interesting -- so I haven't been doing Gunks 3s and 4s recently with her (which I would enjoy).

Ken

By Ben Vining
From Philadelphia
Jun 18, 2014
Mt Arapalies VIC Australia

Thanks Ken

I ended up climbing with Cedrick B. Had a blast. He is a better climber than me so we were able to do some 5.9 Classics. Loved Directissima and Modern Times.

Hope you had a good day climbing, maybe soon ill be able to follow you on 10-11s. Ill be keen for more midweek climbing.

Ben

By kenr
Jul 8, 2014

Thursday July 10 I'd like to get out morning through early afternoon. Open to Powerlinez or West Point or Gunks (preference.

Can offer ride to city climber if leave before 6:30 (if Gunks than 6:00).

Powerlinez has a bunch of nice 10s to try. If want to work on harder moves, I could bring a crashpad (or two) for some bouldering.

Send me a message (including your phone) thru this Forum, or use
this contact info

Ken

By kenr
Jul 14, 2014

Wednesday July 16 two of us so far are planning on Powerlinez. Morning early-ish if it's dry. Or start later if showery.

... (Thursday also likely, could be Gunks or West Point or Powerlinez or ??) ...

Ken

By kenr
Jul 15, 2014

Thursday July 16 looking good for climbing. I've got ideas for Gunks or Powerlinez (and some other places with climbs in the 10b-11a range, includeing eastern PA).

Ken

By kenr
Aug 22, 2014

Monday August 25 getting out - likely closer to the city or north NJ, but perhaps open to Gunks or east PA. Mainly thinking of roped climbing in the 5.10b-11a range (perhaps with "cheating" to set up top-ropes), but open to bouldering.

Could offer ride to a city climber if meet early morning near Penn station or GWB (or north NJ).

Send me a message (including your phone) thru this Forum, or use
this contact info

Ken

By doligo
Aug 23, 2014
Jose Cuervo Fruitcups dirtbag style

I'm curious to know what's all these "cheating" ways and "cheating" equipment are...

By kenr
6 days ago

Sorry - nothing special or mysterious. Just saying I'm not going to lead Trad or less-then-vertical Sport anywhere close to my limit. Instead climb easier stuff to set TR w directionals on harder stuff.

Of course if you want to lead harder stuff near (or above?) my limit, I'll be glad to belay and follow.

Ken

P.S. Heading out now for some of that in east PA today, then NY tomorrow.