South Platte Offwidths Tick List

By Mike Slavens
From Denver, Co
Jan 9, 2013

I'd like to get a list going of good offwidths (or squeeze chimneys) worth doing in the South Platte area in the 5.8 to 5.11 range. I know there are several extensive lists for offwidths around the Boulder area but nothing for South Platte. Is there a Platte Hardman Offwidth Circuit? Please share any recommendations, thanks!

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Jan 9, 2013

Hmmmm. The only one I did recently was Buttkicker at Da Butts. I'll just throw that out there now as a OW crux climb that's a nice one right in the middle of the range you asked for, being 5.10a or maybe 5.9+. Sidewinder is very good, and in the same range. I recall it being more continuous at the OW sizes, but it's been a little longer since I've done it.

By gunter
Jan 9, 2013

Sidewinder is pretty sick...

By gunter
Jan 9, 2013

I hear "For turkey's only" is a pretty goddamn hard OW...

By Nick Sandstrom
Jan 9, 2013
spearhead

Quivering Quill is great and short!

Nick

By Jason Haas
From Broomfield, CO
Jan 10, 2013

In the 5.11 range, the Maelstrom and Don't Fear the Boogie Man are both classics. They both face south and may be a good choice this for time of year.

I'd call For Turkeys Only 12-. In my opinion, it is as hard as Squat and Trip Master Monkey in Veadauwoo

I can give you a list of a bunch more if you need

By Olaf Mitchell
From Paia, Maui, Hi,
Jan 10, 2013
rockerwaves

The Maelstrom is my choice of South Platte not to miss off widths. It's a Maurice Reed classic!

By Mike Slavens
From Denver, Co
Jan 10, 2013

Jason Haas wrote:
I can give you a list of a bunch more if you need

If you have a list I would certainly take it! Thanks

By Jason Kaplan
From Glenwood ,Co
Jan 10, 2013
avitar pic <br />

quivering quill is more like thin hands and hands, maybe 10' of OW on that one. Sidewinder is awesome. Sugar magnolia is pretty good too. If quivering quill qualifies then cardiac crack does too(quite a few good looking OWs in that area), and maybe the second pitch of turkey foot (even though I got mostly good fists). second pitch of castle corner. smoke a fatty. The bombay variation on turkeys delight is fun, steppenwolf, and gobble up are good too.

The maelstrom and rip van winkle look pretty damn good but I have yet to get on them. oh, not in the platte but crack a beer in CCC is pretty sweet though pretty hard turning the lip.

By Jason Haas
From Broomfield, CO
Jan 11, 2013

Sidewinder is good, as is Sposi-Isaacs. Bishop Offwidth is pretty good and sustained. Moot Point is pretty fun and pretty mellow for the grade. The Bitch has an offwidth start to a physical fist crack higher up. Not completely offwidth, but you'll feel like you've been in the octogon by the time you're done with it. Fender Route is classic, as is the Dungeon - consider this the offwidth must do for the grade in the Platte. Heinous Anus, Blood Pudding, and Short as Shit, Hard as Hell are good too. The Aerie is an amazing pitch. The crux down low is an offwidth but it is a pretty varied route with a killer hand crack finish. Tony's Pantalones has a cool 5.11+ offwidth roof on it. Cardiac Crack has a bit of everything from fingers to fists; it's only offwidth at the top if you don't have big hands - but it's an amazing pitch! Hmmm, a couple others that come to mind are Laughing Stock, Once is Enough, and Meat Pipe. There's a bunch more in the south, but you can find most of those routes in the Northern Volume guidebook. Hope that helps

By gunter
Jan 11, 2013

I wouldn't consider the Quill an OW ether. Though steep and fun it is one or two moves at most of the wide. Lots of great suggestions on here. I forgot about steppenwolf, even though its only 20-30 feet of OW I still have scars on my ankles.

By Nick Sandstrom
Jan 11, 2013
spearhead

Id agree that Quivering quill is mostly thin hands to hands but that section is maybe 5.8-5.9.. the end as I said is short but I actually had to offwidth it unlike steppenwolf or the fatter 5.8 next to it. that 10 feet was a challenging and certainly didnt climb like a hand crack.

Nick

By Kent Pease
From Littleton, Colorado
Jan 13, 2013

The Top of the World area has a high concentration of OW's, both moderates and test pieces. See both the Chair Rocks area and the Boulder Pile area. Although these are not as well-known as some of the other climbs noted in this thread, there is a nice collection of wide stuff that should be on any SP'ers tick list. Explore yourself or I can provide specifics if you want.

This area is not too good as a winter destination (some climbs will be OK though), but it is good in the spring after Cathedral Spires closes. The approach (bike) and logistical hassle are worth it.

By Olaf Mitchell
From Paia, Maui, Hi,
Jan 13, 2013
rockerwaves

+1 on Chair Rock OW's

By TylerVaughan
From Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Jan 14, 2013

Dont fear the boogie man and Hand Job on cynical pynacal

By Danimal.
From Colorado Springs, CO
Jan 14, 2013

Offwidth ticklist? You sick bastards.

By Princess Mia
From Vail
Jan 15, 2013
Chillin' at City of Rocks

Prairie dog Crematorium. Two pitches of fun sustained OW. The new book calls it something else....can't remember.... Then there is a super follow-up climb above it. Also fun and sustained.
And yeah, Meatcleaver!!!