South Denver vs Colorado Springs Destinations

By Forrest L.
Nov 30, 2012
Front Range Climbers --

Where would you prefer to live?:

1. A few blocks from Garden of the Gods in CO Springs OR
2. South Denver -- 1 hr from Eldo, 30 min from Golden, 30 min from Castlewood Canyon.

I like multi-multipitch trad, and bouldering. Some sport.

I've been wanting to move closer to climbing in Boulder, now a CO Springs job comes up, and I can't decide if I'd rather have premium Boulder destinations within 1 hr and nothing at my doorstep, or Garden of the Gods and Red Rocks at my doorstep and premium multipitch trad climbs 2+ hours away ... ? How closer are the closer South Platte destinations? Is there good alpine bouldering and climbing in the Pike's Peak area? Shelf road is close, but mostly single pitch sport lines.

Is there anything else good for climbing in Colorado Springs that I'm missing?

Thanks! Have a good weekend --

Forrest

By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Nov 30, 2012
Stabby
South metro Denver is a bit of a climber's purgatory. At least in terms of either living in the Springs or near Boulder. Are you considering living here and commuting to the Springs for work?

By Forrest L.
Nov 30, 2012
I live in South Denver. I may have job offer in Colorado Springs near GotG. I like being 1 hr to Eldo though, and obviously would like to live in Boulder if it were possible :)

Where do you climb mostly?

By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Nov 30, 2012
Stabby
Castlewood and Devils Head, occasional RT's to Shelf. I'm a bolt-chasin weenie.
I know that a lot of the Platte's best is easy to get to from US 24 up through Woodland Park

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Nov 30, 2012
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.
Forrest L. wrote:
Is there anything else good for climbing in Colorado Springs that I'm missing?

Define "good."

By Forrest L.
Nov 30, 2012
Any Springs climbers? How long of drives from Co Springs to some of the good South Platte climbing?

By Forrest L.
Nov 30, 2012
good (adj.) multipitch climbing where I can't see pavement with interested features and landscapes. 1.5 hr max drive time.

By Forrest L.
Nov 30, 2012
or new and interesting (what are your favorite areas?)

By Glenn Schuler
From Monument, Co.
Nov 30, 2012
A grey fox skull wedged in a crack 100' up on a FA I was working on - don't see that every day...
Turkey Rock, Thunder Ridge & Sheepsnose are all right about 1 - 1:15, Eleven Mile is 45 min from the west side of town. Some of the other classic Splatte areas like Cathedral Spires, Goose creek areas are more like 1:45 or so.
The Pikes Peak multi pitch is killer good, but with the entrance fee and long approaches it's not everyone's cup of tea. GOG and Red Rocks, meh - pretty much after work or short day options when you don't have the time to go elsewhere.
Good luck with your decision.

By brat
Nov 30, 2012
Celebrating on Intersection Rock, JTree.
I live near CC. 1:05 to the parking at Turkey Rocks, 1:35 to the parking at Cathedral Spires, 1:05 to the gate at Elevenmile, 1:40 to the parking at Eldo if there's no traffic in Denver. There is some "after work" bouldering around town... at some park and in Cheyenne Canyon. Never done it myself. I prefer to run up the Army Route or Crack Parallel in the Canyon after work. I don't love RRCOS, the Garden is fun occasionally, so far it's not a bad place to be as a climber.