Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Some Missing MP Features

By teece303
From Highlands Ranch, CO
May 10, 2013
Aiding.

Hey MP,

I love MP and check in with it daily, thanks for all the work from the creators and community.

However, there are a couple things that I think MP.com is really missing for a modern website.

1) When I post a comment on a route or an area or photo, I really need to have the option to track what's going on there. I need an email or (preferably) a notification in my MP account or something to tell me there is new activity on a route or area where I have posted comments. I maybe even need to be able to subscribe to routes or areas and be notified when something is added to those areas. I think this lack creates some of the "abandoned building" feeling I get on a lot of the routes and photos on MP. After a day or two, I forget that I've posted something somewhere. There are also certain routes that I just want to stay on top off.

2) MP really needs to be more social, in my opinion. I want to be able to keep track of what my friends are doing on the site. Currently, it's even hard to remember *who* my friends are on the site. (What was Sonja's user name? What was Chris's user name?) I don't want to sound like some buzzword spouting hipster, but to me, social is what really keeps people coming back to websites (for instance, the social features were what made Flickr one of the best websites in the world for a while, before Yahoo ruined it).

Just some thoughts. I love the route database and the site in general.

By Sir Spanxalot
May 10, 2013

By Simon Thompson
From New Paltz, NY
May 10, 2013
Photo by Tony Lopez

A feature I would like to see is the ability to add more specifics when I tick off a route. Like a check box for each pitch so I can more accurately keep track of which pitches/link-ups I've done. For instance, if I only did 2 pitches of an 8-pitch route it shows on MP that I did the whole climb.

By teece303
From Highlands Ranch, CO
May 10, 2013
Aiding.

ScottyB wrote:
Maybe do more remote climbing and less urban caving, and you won't need all this fancy technology BS to keep track of fake friends. I know what my friends are doing cause I talk to them while we are out climbing together.

Assuming you're not just trolling (which you certainly are, at least in part): that's the cool thing, to me, about making MP more social. They don't have to be *fake* friends. On MP, we all share a common interest and are often in need of belay partners. MP's ability in that respect is somewhat limited.

Feel free to disagree, but leave the junior high school feces flinging at home, OK?

By Adam Paashaus
From North Carolina
May 10, 2013
After you get done climbing be sure to head up to the summit for sunset. Its only a 10 minute walk from the main wall. Don't forget your headlamp.

Some good ideas here. I have a small one to add. On long threads in the forum it would be nice to be able to jump to the end with one click instead of cycling through 3 pages at a time. A "last" button would be useful.

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
May 10, 2013
El Chorro

Adam Paashaus wrote:

By grk10vq
May 10, 2013
. . .

Adam Paashaus wrote:

hasn't this existed...forever?

By Jake Jones
From The Eastern Flatlands
May 10, 2013
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.

Adam Paashaus wrote:

You can. Home page> underneath forum threads (see all recent posts) then for each thread, the last page is a clickable option.

The catch is that it has to be a recent thread to do this- otherwise you start clicking page to page to find the thread which defeats the purpose. If you search for an old one, it doesn't apply.

By Finn the Human
From The Land of Ooo
May 10, 2013
Mathematical!

Adam is referring to the lack of a "Last page" button within a thread. There are page numbers, and a "Next" button, but no "Last" button.

By teece303
From Highlands Ranch, CO
May 10, 2013
Aiding.

grk10vq wrote:
hasn't this existed...forever? when you enter the forums or on the home page, click on the little white paper after the black arrow that follows the person's name who posted last.

That does work, I don't think I had ever noticed that paper and arrow icon. A small target on a touch screen, but it does indeed work!

Once you've clicked the thread, things change.

By Kenan
May 10, 2013
Shelf Rd

Great suggestions... 'Subscribing' to a route is something I've wanted to do myself a few times... Think of routes with questionable gear, variable conditions, etc. It would be nice to know when there are updates, rather than having to remember to check back. Also for people who are establishing new routes, it would be nice to automatically get updates.

I also agree on the 'tick' detail... It would be great to be able to tick pitches in addition to whole routes. Also editing ticks would be a good feature (vs just the add/delete functions).

By Ty Morrison-Heath
From Bozeman, MT
May 13, 2013
Profile Photo <br />

The ability to like comments on routes and sort based on how many likes a comment has received. A lot of comments are somewhat useless in their nature while some are crucial extra beta. Would be sweet to up vote those comments to the top.