Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
SOL "Escape" Bivy
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
   Page 1 of 1.  
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
 
By Robbie Mackley
From Tucson, AZ
Jan 8, 2013
Me and Holden at the "Matterhorn"
I'm concidering picking one up for short and/or light trips. Anyone use one? Pros? Cons? I usually use a 7x7 tarp (3x the weight of the sol bivy). Thanks in advance.
-Mackley

FLAG
By 20 kN
Administrator
From Hawaii
Jan 9, 2013
Robbie Mackley wrote:
I'm concidering picking one up for short and/or light trips. Anyone use one? Pros? Cons? I usually use a 7x7 tarp (3x the weight of the sol bivy). Thanks in advance. -Mackley

I used to bring one on El Cap for a extra bivy to stop condensation from my rainfly. I quickly learned that I could be in 15 bivys and it wouldent matter; condensation will occur in a closed space no matter what. Anyway, it worked for what I wanted to use it for. But it was a bit thin. I think it would be fine for occasional emergency use, but it wont hold up for daily use, it is just too thin.

FLAG
By Febs
Sep 17, 2014
But, did you get condensation inside of the bivy? Or, whas your sleeping bag dry?

Thanks :)

FLAG
By bearbreeder
Sep 17, 2014
if you are going to use one "survival bag" ... use this one

blizzardsurvival.com/product.p...

its used by certain militaries and SAR

and has been tested by the university of leeds to an insulative value of 8 togs ... which is equivalent to a 40F lower limit en-rated bag

condensation will still be a problem

;)

FLAG
By Aerili
From Salt Lake City, UT
Sep 17, 2014
The West Desert...it's not just for climbing, suck...
I use one. Mostly for extra warmth around my sleeping bag. It is breathable, I do not get condensation inside. I would not use this for any inclement weather, however, if not sleeping under some kind of shelter. Also, it doesn't zip up around the head/face very much either, so it's not something you can burrow down inside.

I agree that it is thin and constant use would be hard on it.

FLAG
By Kai Larson
From Sandy, Utah
Sep 17, 2014
Tour Ronde North Face
Trying to get that re-stuffed once it comes out of its vacuum sealed package is a nightmare. Good for single use. Not so good for multiple uses.


bearbreeder wrote:
if you are going to use one "survival bag" ... use this one blizzardsurvival.com/product.p... its used by certain militaries and SAR and has been tested by the university of leeds to an insulative value of 8 togs ... which is equivalent to a 40F lower limit en-rated bag condensation will still be a problem ;)

FLAG
By bearbreeder
Sep 17, 2014
Kai Larson wrote:
Trying to get that re-stuffed once it comes out of its vacuum sealed package is a nightmare. Good for single use. Not so good for multiple uses.


thats why its a "survival bag"

its not like any other 40F rated bag and waterproof bivy combo packs up any smaller than its unstuffed size anyways

;)

FLAG
By Febs
Sep 17, 2014
I am actually searching for something to use regularly under a tarp. The tarp would provide most of the protection from the water, the bivy I'm looking for should protect me from any wind or water that could pass the tarp shelter - or a light rain if used without a tarp.
But, I'd like it to be so breathable that I can get sweat and damp into it after a strenuous climb and wake up dry in the morning. Does such a thing ever exists?

FLAG
 
By bearbreeder
Sep 17, 2014
Febs wrote:
I am actually searching for something to use regularly under a tarp. The tarp would provide most of the protection from the water, the bivy I'm looking for should protect me from any wind or water that could pass the tarp shelter - or a light rain if used without a tarp. But, I'd like it to be so breathable that I can get sweat and damp into it after a strenuous climb and wake up dry in the morning. Does such a thing ever exists?


its called a tent

;)

FLAG
By Febs
Sep 17, 2014
bearbreeder wrote:
its called a tent ;)


Not really. I want to ditch my solo tent because of its massive condensation when it's freezing outside, despite being a two-layer tent.

After pitching:


Temperature was about 0C in the sunrise:


And, look how damp it is. The outer layer touched the inner one despite it was tightly pitched and the layers did not touch in the morning. Humidity is working as a glue there and provided me a free cold bath in the morning.

FLAG
By bearbreeder
Sep 17, 2014
Febs wrote:
Not really. I want to ditch my solo tent because of its massive condensation when it's freezing outside, despite being a two-layer tent. After pitching: Temperature was about 0C in the sunrise: And, look how damp it is. The outer layer touched the inner one despite it was tightly pitched and the layers did not touch in the morning. Humidity is working as a glue there and provided me a free cold bath in the morning.


if you think a tent is bad

imagine that not so breathable bivy sack pressing tightly against your down bag with all that internal condensation

youre trying to re-invent the wheel

plenty of climbers use tents just fine in all conditions

as someone said, bivies are for when you dont have enough space to pitch a tent, or you are in a "oh shiet i got benighted" situations

;)

FLAG
By Ashort
Sep 17, 2014
Febs, so not only are you not taking people's advise in the thread you created, you have to try and hijack this one?

FLAG
By Febs
Sep 17, 2014
I was searching for info about that specific bivvy and I asked the owner.

I was answered to use a tent and I replied why I want to change setup, that's it.
Sorry anyways.

FLAG
By Febs
Sep 18, 2014
Well back to the very topic of this thread.

Do you find that there's enough space for a mattress and quite a lofty sleeping bag (other than an average sized and fit man)?

I do have seen the measures and it looks quite tight but I could be wrong. Thanks.

FLAG
By Ashort
Sep 18, 2014
The SOL (shit outta luck) line of bivy sacks are for just that; when you are shit out of luck because you did not bring a real sleeping system and you get benighted out there. Presumably, if you are bring a mattress and sleeping bag then you are planning to stay out and you would want something more robust than an emergency shelter, YMMV

FLAG


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 1 of 1.