Sock Recommendations for Winter Climbing Boots

By Josh Allred
From Salt Lake City, UT
Pfeifferhorn via North Ridge

Currently I have the Smartwool Mountaineer sock. They are THICK. I have to go half size bigger on mountaineering boots which causes heel lift. Im getting a pair of Spantiks for the holidays. Im trying to figure out a good sock combination that will allow me still to be warm but not so thick that I have to go up half a size. I am looking into the Lorpen Trekking Expedition Sock. Seem like it could be a winner but they are bit tall for my liking. Any thoughts/suggestions thanks.

By Patrick Carey
From Keene, NY
Nov 21, 2012

Smartwool PhD. are the best I've found. I run the thin Smartwool liners under them and my feet have never been happier. That's including days spent standing at sub-zero belays and also days spent slogging six or seven mile approaches to the climb. I used to run heavy socks thinking my feet would be warmer, but I realized thinner socks do just as much, if not more. A lot of it comes down to how tight you run your boots. A little looser on the laces (on a properly fitting boot) will go a lot further than thick socks. On top of that, your feet won't slop around because of all that soft material around them.

By BrianKostelnik57
Nov 21, 2012

I like an ultra light merino sock liner/ski sock under a midweight merino hiking sock. seems to provide sufficient warmth and protect against blisters on long approaches. FWIW, I climb in a pair of Scarpa Jorasses Pro Gtx.

By Jim Amidon
What ??

lightest wool sock possible.....

Extra bulk is why your getting heel lift and also could be the cause of your cold feet.

Too much fabric can constrict the blood flow, and cause overlapping creases in your socks........

#1 get a boot that fits,

#2 get some custom orthodics made for the boot

#3 get a good sock, not too thick.

You going to drop $700 on a pair of boots......

Drop the cash to get them comfy.....

Nothing worse than uncomfortable cold feet when you have the means to be comfortable....

By Josh Allred
From Salt Lake City, UT
Pfeifferhorn via North Ridge

This is good. Im looking at Super Feet as well. This is good with the socks.

By superkick
From West Hartford, CT
Free Solo up hitchcock gully WI3

I usually wear a lightweight hiking sock and a liner with my spantiks. Unless youre going to be at altitude, they are warm enough boots that you wont need much more.

if going at altitude smartwools phds are quite nice. Ive also taken a liking to First Ascents socks. they are awfully comfy.

By Josh Allred
From Salt Lake City, UT
Pfeifferhorn via North Ridge

www.backcountry.com/smartwool-phd-outdoor-mediumd-crew-sock?>>>

I think I am going to get the Smartwool PHd. Does anyone ever wear a liner with these?

By gcap
From Tuxedo, NY
somewhere on Mt. Stuart

can't say enough good things about Darn Tough Vermont. darntough.com/ - specifically their Hike / Trek, merino wool Boot sock. It's the only sock I use in any boot (along with custom insoles). Don't know what it is about them - something about the weave? Used to wear smartwool's -> blisters. DT's -> never a hotspot. Seem to last much longer and come with an unconditional lifetime guarantee (wish they made underwear :)

Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee
Simply and without strings or conditions: if our all weather performance socks are not the most comfortable and durable socks you have ever worn, return them for another pair or your money back. No strings. No conditions. For life. When you are really serious about something you make it yourself.

By Josh Olson
From madison, wisconsin
Looking at a 5.7 crack with Nick

Smartwool aren't as good as point6. Check them out.

By S Denny
From Carbondale, CO

darn tough ftw

By Frosty Weller
From Colorado
Desert Tower

Another vote for DARN TOUGH. Best socks ever!

By Medic741
From Pittsford, New York
When I was a bum at Frey

Phd. Easiest to dry under a puffy, warm, you can put on two pairs for extra warmth without them bunching up. They're the best out tere.

By BryanV
From Fort Collins, CO
Ouray Ice Park

Point 6 is the way to go. They originally founded Smartwool and split off to do Point 6 in 2010 or something. I highly recommend their mid weight hiker. That sock, i have 4 pairs, and SuperFeet insoles are a great combo.

bv
www.whiteknuckled.com

By coop
From Glenwood Springs, CO
Jan 23, 2013
Indian Creek Climbing

what about sock liners?

By Matt Glue
From Dillon, CO
Jan 24, 2013

Damn, I guess I sized my boots wrong. Nepal EVOs, size 46 with a narrow 11.5 foot. I started assuming I'd wear Smartwool Expedition weight socks. I sized larger than I normally would to leave room for toes when kicking. I had to play around with tightness a LOT to get secure while still having circulation. I've ended up putting a Smartwool light- or mid-weight sock UNDER the expedition weight. This gives me the best fit.

By Brian Scoggins
From Eugene, OR
Jan 24, 2013

I used a two-sock system for a long time, and kept getting blisters, even in the best fitting boots I could find. I switched to a single, thin sock and have been happy ever since. I have to wear extra thick socks for my insulated boots, because they've packed out and stretched, but still, the thinner a sock you can get away with, the happier your feet will be.

By Woodchuck ATC
Jan 24, 2013
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

2 socks if they fit.. do NOT have a tight boot or you will get cold. In worst temps in my best fitting boots, I do light polypro liner, then a plastic bag, and my thick wool/poly blend socks. My tight boots can only do one pair of mid thick socks, and a plastic bag too. Works down to near zero before I get cold toes.