Small Crag at Coyote Lake (northeast of Shaver Lake) Anyone been to it?

By randy88fj62
Oct 12, 2012
Thunderbolt Peak in the Palisades

I am headed to the Shaver Lake area to do some offroading. Since this area shares a lot of the same rock and domes as Courtright Reservoir I was wondering if anyone had any beta?

The red lake OHV trail off the 168 heads east into red lake and then an additional mile to coyote lake. Google maps overlayed with vimeo pictures shows a promising small crag at the end of the lake. I plan on visiting it this weekend and evaluating its quality.

For those who love offroading (33" tires and one rear locker minimum) this may be a great place to visit.

By Guy Keesee
From Moorpark, CA
Oct 12, 2012
Big Boulder, just a bit downhill from Temple of Kali. Alabama Hills, CA.

tons of little stone piles up that a ways....
take photos, prolly get a better response.

And from my experience..... almost zero so cal climbers ever get up that far north.

have much fun

By randy88fj62
Oct 12, 2012
Thunderbolt Peak in the Palisades

If I find a line worth reporting I'll post a pic.

By randy88fj62
Oct 15, 2012
Thunderbolt Peak in the Palisades

Not much there. Some easy slab, 30 feet of railroad finger cracks, and some 5.12ish hard slab lines covered in lichen (about 100' tall.) All in all I didn't see much worth going back to.

By Guy Keesee
From Moorpark, CA
Oct 16, 2012
Big Boulder, just a bit downhill from Temple of Kali. Alabama Hills, CA.

Randy..... There is a place named, Doughnut Nation or something like that right near Shaver Lake.

Good bouldering everywhere out behind the lake too.

And did you see the "vertical railroad" just out side of town.. east of?

They built these so they could build the water power plant.....

If you climb up them approx, 1,000 feet, you come to a big dome, climbs on these suckers.

By randy88fj62
Oct 16, 2012
Thunderbolt Peak in the Palisades

I did not see the old rails. I did read up a lot on the history of the area. Very interesting stuff. It was the biggest hydroelectric project in the world at the time it was built. When I was canyoneering there two weekends ago we came upon one of the water tunnels which was about 12 ft in diamter and went down 500 ft before following the ridge down to the lake. Absolutely incredible feats to have been completed with picks and shovels.