Small back pack for short trail runs and soloing

By Adam Floyd
From Las Vegas
Apr 13, 2012
Vegas the Dog

Hello all,
I work at a park where there are lots of awesome moderate solos on domes. I was hoping to do some small runs/ jogs, swap out my shoes and do a route or two on the solo circuit I have had for a while, jog to the next repeat... Anybody had a great small pack that would work for this? I am thinking shoes, chalk bag, small water bottle, energy bar, maybe my headlamp in it.

I have had lots of BD stuff and always been very impressed.
Also anything cheap and on sale, or if anyone has a small pack laying around would be great,

Thanks in advance,
Adam

By Alvaro Arnal
From Aspen, CO
Apr 13, 2012
Pup Tent OS

I have a BD Bbee pack that's just big enough to fit a pair of climbing shoes, water bottle, chalkbag and extra chalk along with a snack for going to gym or bouldering. It's small, low profile, and really light. Worth taking a look at.

By dirtbag
From Bellingham, WA
Apr 13, 2012
i really enjoyed this drive to the tetons... can't wait to make it back to WY

Here's my long winded answer.. This may or may not be what you're looking for.

For me, soloing is about cutting away extra stuff! For starters, the sticky rubber and edging platform of the Camp Four by Five Ten actually climbs BETTER than my technical climbing shoe on moderate (>5.8+) terrain for the most part and does A TON better with scrambling 4th that's for sure!

chalk bag, gu/bars, headlamp, helmet, - wear it! why have a bigger pack hold you back? Layers - a houdini by patagonia fits in your pocket or on the bungie of this pack www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Packs/2012-Classic.aspx . I've even carried steel crampons and a mountain axe comfortably on this pack.

my 2c

alpine rope solo kit
alpine rope solo kit

By Christopher Gibson
From Frisco, Texas
Apr 13, 2012
Live to Work not Work to Live.  We Love Our Jobs!!!

REI Flash 18, $34.00 best little bag I ever had. Its what I use on multi pitch routes, travel bag for in the car, stashes everyhting you would want quick access to. I looked at the BD Bbee and decided on the Flash 18, it even has a removable seat pad. Check it out.

By Christopher Gibson
From Frisco, Texas
Apr 13, 2012
Live to Work not Work to Live.  We Love Our Jobs!!!

Why the pic of the gear, I dont get it?

By Tristan Higbee
From Cambodia
Apr 13, 2012
Me on a mixed route Crisco and I did in Rock Canyon.

SkiNowWorkLater wrote:

I love this pack.

By dirtbag
From Bellingham, WA
Apr 13, 2012
i really enjoyed this drive to the tetons... can't wait to make it back to WY

Christopher Gibson wrote:
Why the pic of the gear, I dont get it?

I should have been more explicit i guess..

If i can get away with this size pack for rope soloing a route 8 miles into the backcountry, then you certainly don't need a BIGGER pack for free soloing. Right?

... because when you're climbing (especially free soloing), you want your pack and system to be as streamlined as possible.

By dirtbag
From Bellingham, WA
Apr 13, 2012
i really enjoyed this drive to the tetons... can't wait to make it back to WY

... see exhibit 2 from someone who actually knows their shit:
video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4832527121139830698

if you go w/a camelbak though, be aware of the weak connection point between the bite valve and the tube. Maybe some aqua seal to fix the bite valve to the tube would not be completely unwarranted.

By Josh Kornish
Apr 13, 2012
The Roach

Arc' Aerios 14

I don't think they make the 14 anymore but the aerios series is amazing.

I got a free one from Arc' and really don't have one complaint about it.

By Julian Smith
From Colorado Springs, CO
Apr 13, 2012
Julian Smith

Climbing shoes attached to running pack.
Climbing shoes attached to running pack.

By dirtbag
From Bellingham, WA
Apr 13, 2012
i really enjoyed this drive to the tetons... can't wait to make it back to WY

Julian Smith wrote:
I have used a small Osprey hydration pack with great success. Basically, I strap the shoes to the back and run to whatever it is I want to solo, and then change shoes, and climb, ... repeat process many times... Look for something that has small pockets on the waist belt so you can easily get at some fuel and slat tablets while you are running; that is important. Also look for something with a loop on the bottom that you can hook you running shoes to while climbing. Most running shoes don't come with loops at the heel (like approach shoes), so I just clip a carabiner into the laces. I love this type of adventure, and have been trying to figure out what would be a good name; ultra-climbing? It seems like all week I am trying to dream up what the adventure for the next weekend is going to be. For example, I used this rig last summer for Lone Eagle Peak as well as the Glacier Gorge Traverse. Last weekend was a run into McCurdy Park for a climb of McCudy Park Tower. So, the concept and the rig work pretty well. Cheers, and hope that you will have some excellent adventures of your own.

+1 on this simple system

By Peter Pitocchi
Apr 14, 2012
Pete belays 2nd pitch Little corner

If you run with a rei flash 18 it will bounce around. But you can fix that by passing the waist belt thru the sternum strap like a cross your heart bra. It rides high and tight. Hard to describe but works great. Luv the flash 18. There are a variety of running packs for adventure racers that also work great. I have one from salomon but i prefer simplicity and versatility of flash.

By Adam Floyd
From Las Vegas
Apr 14, 2012
Vegas the Dog

Thanks everyone,
I saw a friends pack and ended up ordering one, A BD bullet. I will also be doing some Alpine and it seems a good mix. Thanks for all of the input.
Adam