Slopers for 35 degree wall

By weschrist
Nov 21, 2012

Just finished last night. Everything is symmetrical for system type OCD training. Note the 2x4 supports double as sloper rails... all at slightly different angles! I need more holds and may throw down for a couple really nice slopers.

Any suggestions on slopers for a 35 degree wall that would equate to training in the ~v10 range? I'm afraid the wall might be a tad too steep for my favorite hold. I'd hate to spend $250 to find out...

www.revolutionclimbing.com/Font-Huge_p_211.html

--- Invalid image id: 107898677 ---

By coldatom
From Cambridge, MA
Nov 21, 2012
Jurassic Park

I found slopers to be the hardest holds to choose properly. Most of them seem to be designed for nearly vertical walls, granted I don't boulder V10.
Email some reps for hold companies. They usually can make good suggestions.
Atomik has a good variety of system slopers which you can buy by the pair, instead of a whole set of 5-10.
Also, you can always build a volume to tweak the angle if your big sloper doesn't go at 35.

By KJP
From Albuquerque, NM
Nov 21, 2012

Look at some of Tekniks stuff.

By mozeman
Nov 23, 2012

Baby bumps may be worse than the holds the OP posted. Worse as in harder

By LeeAB
From ABQ, NM
Nov 23, 2012
Once we landed we headed to Font to find a place to stay for the night before doing a day of wine tasting and heading to Buoux.

If you have the newer version of "the boss" you should be able to use it on that angle or steeper. The older version would be pushing it.

One thing you could try is to flip your holds over from the "intended" orientation and see how it is grabbing the "bottoms" of the holds, many times you can get interesting grips by doing this.

I would switch your panels around so they are all on the front of the studs. I envision lots of wracked knuckles and elbows by having the panel effectively recessed behind the supporting members.

By Tomtomtomtom
Dec 23, 2012

Can't help much in choice of holds, but if it turns out that the sloper you get is too difficult, you could also build a small angled volume to mount it on? Besides it would open so much possibilities for building cool routes...

By jonathan.lipkin
From Brooklyn, NY
Dec 25, 2012

I've been experimenting with gluing two 2x4s together lengthwise (with the 3.5inch sides touching), then shaping with various tools. I'm going to to try one tomorrow where I start with angled cuts on a table saw to get into a rough shape, then go after it with a belt sander.