Slipped on ice, fell straight on back, week later having upper back pain

By Beloved Amanda
Jan 13, 2014

Last Sunday, I rushed and wound up slipping and falling straight on my back.
It's been a week now, and beginning yesterday I have a sharp pain in my upper back area.
Hard to breathe deep, cough, move too much.

Not sure what's wrong or what should I do ?

Could be strained or something, just not sure.

By Josh Allred
From Salt Lake City, UT
P3 on Nutcracker.

I would go see a chiropractor.

By Webster Slavens
Jan 13, 2014

I would go see a chiropractor

By Hiro
From Boulder, CO
Jan 13, 2014
Ouray Ice Park <br />Pick o' the Vic?

This must be a joke. You're asking for medical advice here?

By Ben Beckerich
From saint helens, oregon
About half way up the East Arete on Illumination Rock

Hiro wrote:
This must be a joke. You're asking for medical advice here?

You must be new.

By Scott O
From California
Batman Pinnacle

Josh Allred wrote:
I would go see a chiropractor.

You must like wasting money.

By Scott O
From California
Batman Pinnacle

Webster Slavens wrote:
I would go see a chiropractor Please do not follow this advice. Go see a qualified, professional medical doctor that adheres to sound science based medical practices. The problem could very well be significant, and alternative medicine will very likely misdiagnose and mistreat you. Mountain Project is not the venue to receive proper medical advice. Do not accept any offerings of diagnosis here. Even if there is the occasional doctor that climbs that browses this website littered with often dubious recommendations, they would not offer medical diagnosis over this forum. They would strongly suggest you get evaluated in a clinical setting. If you don't have insurance, call in whatever favors owed to you from family, friends, etc. so that you can get it paid for. Just to emphasize my point again, do not go to a chiropractor, go to a properly certified medical doctor in a clinical setting to get evaluated.

This is the correct post.

By Meme Guy
From Land of Runout Slab
Meme guy

Med advice
Med advice

By Optimistic
From New Paltz

Webster Slavens wrote:

All of the above is right but I'd add: Probably this is something fairly innocent, but the timecourse you're describing here is kind of unusual. If you were my patient, I'd feel quite uncomfortable having you go home without a couple of basic tests ordered and resulted negative. In the end, the chiropractor suggestion could be perfectly fine, but this needs to be thought about a little first by an MD/DO...to make sure it's actually a muscle that's the source of your pain!

By MJMobes
From The land of steady habits
modern man

Hi, I'm a chiropractor(not). I know exactly whats wrong. You are out of alignment. I can fix you. Come see me twice a week for 2 months and then once a week for another 6 months and you will be just fine.

By clay meier
Thats Me

Its probably nothing. I hurt my back a few years ago and now I just make sure to always have a subtle mixture of vicoden, whisky, THC, and crack cocaine in my system at all times. I feel great!

By Beloved Amanda
Jan 13, 2014

As for the immature idiots. With no respect on this forum, go screw yourselves.
No need to be nasty, but I guess that's the WAY y'all are.

Thanks again!

By Optimistic
From New Paltz

Beloved Amanda wrote:
Yea I just called in an appointment for my doctor. I wasn't sure it was really worth it because I did fall, and my back could be sore or bruised. But wanted to see what other people thought. As for the immature idiots. With no respect on this forum, go screw yourselves. I was asking for advice point blank, I'm smart enough to not follow 20 people's different suggestions but to accumulate my own. No need to be nasty, but I guess that's the WAY y'all are. Thanks again!

Hope you heal up soon. If you feel comfortable sharing it afterward, I'd be curious to hear what your doc said, and what workup and treatment she/he thought was needed, if any.

By Dave Bn
From Fort Collins, CO
Dreamweaver

Lawyer up! Take that ice for all it's got!

By David Sahalie
From on the road again
Jan 13, 2014

defiantly don't se a chiropractor, accupucturist, PT, rolfer, or any of those quacks. you are much better off with a general or ortho - they will check your vitals then prescribe some addictive painkillers... or maybe invasive surgery! yay!

By beccs
Jan 13, 2014

A GP is a good place to start, but keep in mind that many GPs are not super good with soft tissue issues. They'll probably get you to get an xray and have you take some anti inflamatories for the moment.

If things are still bothering you I think alternative treatment from either a chiropractor, PT or a message therapist may be in order. Keep in mind that not every chiro/PT/MT is created equal. Different ones offer different therapy, some understand being pysically active better than others.

Obviously people on this forum have gotten sone bad chiropractors. I personally have found visits to the crack ma'am as the best therapy for my back, along with a lot core strengthening (as prompeted by my chiropractor). This may or may not be the case for you. Regardless, watch out for quacks and gimicky setups.

By MJMobes
From The land of steady habits
modern man

I'm not a doctor but I'd suggest X-rays and someone who can read them properly.

By wankel7
From Indiana

Broken rib?

By Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
At the BRC

Beloved Amanda wrote:

Not a pretty picture.

By Red
From Arizona
Cobra Kai

Mark E Dixon wrote:
So you signed up for MP today, have made exactly ZERO contributions, ask for free advice and then get all insulting when it isn't offered in a polite enough fashion to suit you? Not a pretty picture.

That's called trolling.

By Jeff G.
From Fort Collins
Jan 13, 2014
Nearing the end of Thank God Ledge.

I'm an outpatient orthopedic PT with 25 years experience.
Get an x-ray. If nothing is broken then you may have a costo-vertebral joint problem. (joint where the rib hooks onto the spine). Easily fixed and worth getting it worked on to avoid future problems. I would see a reputable chiropractor or a good manipulative physical therapist.

By Optimistic
From New Paltz
Jan 13, 2014

Not trying to be difficult here, but there are diagnoses outside of the musculoskeletal system which fit this presentation. Edit: I doubt she has any of them, but they need to be thought about by someone who is open to them and understands how to rule them out, aka, "a doctor".

By Josh Allred
From Salt Lake City, UT
P3 on Nutcracker.

Last year I was in a car accident that put me out for 3 months (whiplash and lower back pain). Went to the ER and later to a different doctor for a second opinion; both of them told me there is nothing I can do but wait. Told me the next 8 weeks it will get worst before it gets "better".

Went to a Chiropractor that was highly recommended from a friend of my in-laws. Got me started on exercises/stretches using tractions, belts, weights, adjustments. I would be in the office for 30 to 45 mins working on strengthening my back. It wasnt just come in get adjusted 2 minutes later you have a 80 dollar bill. Tracked my progress with Xrays.

Not only did I feel better but I fixed my slouch and have better posture before I went in. More importantly, no residual effects.

I know not everyone is a fan and they are expensive. You def want to see someone who is reputable. Not every insurance carrier will help pay. So I do understand that not everyone will be on board. An no I didnt have to pay out of pocket which would of been a different story if I had to.

With that being said its hard to put a price on health until its gone.

Hope you feel better.