Slightly Loose Block Atop Godzilla

By Aaron O
From Seattle, WA
Jan 2, 2014
Angel's Crest

Has anyone else noticed the slightly loose block at the top of Godzilla? You grab it to do the last mantel and end up standing on it before doing the step around move to the left at the top. Last time I did the route, I grabbed it and noticed it move a little bit. Maybe it has been that way for a while, and I just haven't noticed it.

By beensandbagged
From R.I.
Jan 2, 2014
beer

What were you expecting ? Does it surprise you that there is a loose block on a climb ? I would suggest that dealing with these unknowns is one of the reasons people climb.

By Aaron O
From Seattle, WA
Jan 2, 2014
Angel's Crest

beensandbagged wrote:

No need to start trolling bro. If I wanted someone's ethical opinion on dealing with a loose block I would have posted on the general climbing forum, especially if they are on the other side of the country.

This is a trade route at Index that see crowds every weekend the area is climable. Just posting to see if the locals have noticed it is coming loose LATELY.

By Max Supertramp
Jan 2, 2014

PSA: There is a slightly loose block at the topout move on Otto's Route, Grand Junction, CO. You know, the one that you jam betwixt?

By Aaron O
From Seattle, WA
Jan 2, 2014
Angel's Crest

I am talking about Godzilla, 5.9 at Index Town Wall in WA.

By Pete Spri
Jan 2, 2014

Max Supertramp wrote:

Didn't see that this was posted in the PNW forum, eh?

By Kevin Belayme
From Bellingham, WA
Jan 2, 2014
Mt. Baker

Good lookin out Aaron. I don't remember that block moving, but I could be wrong. Definitely a bad place for something to come out.

By Sherri Lewis
From Sequim, WA
Jan 12, 2014
Pausing to pose with the amazing cracks there.

Aaron,

Is that the block that has a little tree growing out of the crack at the back? I don't remember it having any movement when you grab it. Bad place for something to to come loose, for sure.

By Allen Sanderson
From Oootah
Jan 12, 2014

Aaron O wrote:
I am talking about Godzilla, 5.9 at Index Town Wall in WA.

I thought you were talking about Godzilla 5.8 at Smith Rock in Oregon.

Pete Spri wrote:
Didn't see that this was posted in the PNW forum, eh?

One might be more specific as to exactly where, as last time I checked Oregon was considered to be part of the PNW. Though the comment on Otto's is a bit out of the PNW.